1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Missing Rice? Clips are.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Oct 22, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hey Glen Rice, I would have loved to know you. But, you were always just a few minutes away from being away, again. And again.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...659.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-clippe

October 22, 2003 CLIPPER REPORT
    Knee Injury Sidelines Rice for Opening Games in Japan

By Steve Springer, Times Staff Writer

With holes still to fill at center and point guard, add yet another gaping hole for the Clippers: small forward.

The club learned Tuesday that Glen Rice has a hyperextended right knee, which will sideline him for at least two weeks. Rice will miss the team's two remaining exhibition games and its two-game, season-opening series against the Seattle SuperSonics in Japan. Rice hopes to return for the Clippers' Nov. 7 game at Denver.

"I'm just glad it's only two weeks," Rice, 36, said. "I was hoping it was only two weeks. My knee was sore and tight, and I figured there was something wrong. It felt like there was a huge knot back there."

Rice suffered the injury in Friday's game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"I tried to go on a back-door play," he said, "and the knee gave out on me a little."

Rice sat out Sunday's game against the Golden State Warriors, and then underwent an MRI exam on Monday that revealed the damage.

"I am going to have to take a step back," he said. "I don't want to sit. I don't want to have to go through rehab."

That would certainly not be Coach Mike Dunleavy's preference, either. Rice has been a Clipper for less than two weeks, having signed as a free agent after spending the last two seasons with the Houston Rockets. Learning the tendencies of new teammates and the basics of a new system from a seat on the bench is hardly ideal.

"This was valuable time for him," Dunleavy said.

"This offense is pretty easy to learn," Rice said. "I have a playbook and there's a lot of ball movement, which I like."

Rice told reporters after practice Tuesday at L.A. Southwest College that he had torn a ligament. Not just told them, but went into great detail about how it appeared in the MRI exam.

It turns out he was looking at a tendon in his right knee that he tore two years ago. That injury has long since healed.

2. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

Oh well, better them than us. We have our share.

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

NO more Rice n that kickz buttttt :p

4. AlexVanderpool

good riddance

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Glad that injury prone player is gone.

no more rice!

hmm...my pizza is here...

6. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Jimmy Jackson in and Glenn Rice out. An excellent bit of GMing by CD.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Of course we all know that there were teams lining up to give us good stuff for Glen Rice and his 'contract', and the Rockets foolishly gave away this hot commodity for Amaechi and a 7-million dollar trade exception.

8. GocartMozart

GocartMozart Contributing Member

We do? What kind of "good stuff"? If it was that good, why would Utah (a team in such a complete rebuilding phase that they could use any "good stuff" you could provide), WAIVE him instead of trading his contract for such "good stuff"?

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

methinks you need to go purchase a sarcasm detector...

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

so they can bomb this year and next and get a couple of great players.

and then proceed to make the playoffs for 20 years straight and never win a championship...:p

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]