1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minute Maid Field?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by txrockfan, Jun 5, 2002.

1. txrockfan

txrockfan Contributing Member

According to the Houston Chronicle:

June 5, 2002, 10:08AM

Astros' downtown ballpark to become Minute Maid Field
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle
    Astros Field will become Minute Maid Field, sources told the Houston Chronicle today ahead of a news conference scheduled for 10 a.m.

At the conference, Astros owner Drayton McLane is expected to announce he has struck a deal with the Coca-Cola Co., which owns the Minute Maid orange juice line, for naming rights to what was formerly Enron Field.

The Astros, hoping to distance themselves from the bankrupt Enron Corp., agreed in February to buy out Enron's 30-year, $100 million naming rights deal for $2.1 million.

Since then, the Astros had fielded inquiries about the ballpark's name from at least three other companies, including Conoco, Landry's Seafood Restaurants and Gallery Furniture, all based in Houston.

In early May, Hewlett-Packard Co. pulled out as a finalist for acquiring the naming rights to Astros Field.

More details to come as they are available.

Is it just me or does this sound like a strange name for a major league ballpark? It really is all about the money.

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

3. txrockfan

I guess I can't type fast enough. Do you have an opinion on the new name? I think it sounds like a minor league park name.

4. txrockfan

So is it Minute Maid Field or Minute Maid Park?

The Chronicle has it as Minute Maid Field, but the Astros home page (which is probably correct) has it as Minute Maid Park.

:confused:

5. Major

Major Member

The Astros are going to play on Minute Maid Field at Minute Maid Park - double bang for their buck :) Kind of like Joe Jamail Field at Royal-Memorial Stadium.

6. ESource

ESource Member

It's ALWAYS about the $$$ nowadays!:eek:

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I agree with the name because any team, in particular, the Astros, can be beat in a minute.

Go minutemen!!!!