1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minor Texans Scoop

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Grizzled, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Calgary radio is reporting tonight that Stampeder QB Ben Sankey has signed with the Texans. I wouldn't get too excited about this signing as he was only our backup QB last year, but he got some action when Marcus Crandell was injured and he did well. Considering that Calgary's QB's in the 90's were Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia and Dave Dickenson, he's got a good tradition behind him, but I think he left too soon. The reason Flutie and Garcia have faired so well is that they got a chance to mature as players and leaders in the CFL. Both were starting QBs for championship teams up here, so when they went to the NFL they stepped in as seasoned veterans. Sankey was quite erratic at times, very much a rookie, and he's not going to get a chance to grow much riding the pine down there. Of course, he would have been riding the pine up here too, but he would definitely have gotten some playing time. I'd be a bit surprised if he makes it through training camp for the Texans, but he's got good size and good tools so you never know.

http://wakeforestsports.fansonly.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sankey_ben00.html
    http://www.cfl.ca/CFLStats/calgary_teamstats.pdf

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Too bad they couldn't have signed Crandell. When do you think Crandell might opt for the NFL?

Where did this guy play collegiately?

3. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

He's from East Carolina. He's a little smaller and a little older than Sankey, and he's only really had one good year himself. He took over as starter when Dickenson signed with San Diego before last season. If Crandell has a solid year this year I would expect him to get signed in the NFL. He needs to learn how to be a clutch player and a consistent winner. Incidentally, I haven't heard the Sankey signing confirmed yet.

4. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

5. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Is Canada's calender different from the United States's calender? The article states that he signed on Thursday, February 15. Since this is March, that would mean that he signed over two weeks ago & there's been no kind of announcement. What's the story?

6. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I can't explain that. There were only a couple of reports up here confirming the signing, which is odd, but this one quotes the head coach directly. Something strange is going on with this signing but I don't know what it is.

7. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The signing was reported in our local paper the other day. It does seem rather wierd that it would take that long to report it locally.

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Those Calgary players have always kicked some serious ass.