1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Milo takes some shots at Berkman

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 25, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Hey can't be mad at that question because i to want to know why he didnt do it here as well.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Anyone that has been around Lance Berkman knows why he did not "do it here". Lance is lazy and always has been as an Astro. He routinely did not participate fully in conditioning drills, and never got his body into the best possible shape. He complained non-stop, to the point of alienating his teammates and spouted off his rightwing-religious opinions at all times, even when his coaches and teammates asked him not to.

The reason Lance has done well as a pro is because he is a very gifted hitter, and now is motivated.

He isn't the only one.... Wagner and Oswalt were the same way.... fair to say that no one that worked with those guys shed a tear when they left.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Milo nails it. Lance is typically out-spoken, so we'll see this week if he responds. I'd like to know, too. I saw a KPRC interview with him during the offseason. He was working out with this trainer at UH. I'm sitting here watching this wondering, "where was this dedication the last few years with the Astros? You do it now that you're a Cardinal?" I still have love for Lance for his time with the Astros. I'll always think of him as one. Kind of pisses me off, though, that he's doing these things now and not with the team that initially made him a very very rich man.

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

At least he didn't didn't juice while teammates like Bagwell, Hidalgo, Clemens, and Pettitte were openly passing around needles in the clubhouse.

1 person likes this.
  6. AB423

AB423 Member

I rather him do that than be a douchebag

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Aren't they one in the same?

8. conquistador#11

Why does it even matter? Had Puma quit the twinkies while he was here, our awesome GM would have still traded him. Only, it would have been to Philly for some great 13th round pick. =/

Rebuild baby! but keep Lee because he's an example of great conditioning.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It wasn't "little" Puma. :eek: We all knew he wasn't in the best of shapes here.

It seems like "less work" and "not hustling" went out the window in Houston's pro sports aside from the Dynamo and Rockets' championships... only a handful of players play their hearts out for this town... Mario Ellie, Mad Max, Cynthia Cooper, Warren Moon, Dream, Andre Johnson, Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, Mike Scott, Earl Campbell, etc. :eek:

10. blackistan

blackistan Member

I don't even watch baseball but I knew of berkman and was a fan of him and to hear this hurts me bc I agree with most ppl he should've put in that work when he was with the astros

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Are you sure you're not talking about Luke Scott?

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

My father and I discussed this and we came to this conclusion: Houston is a fat city. Being around fat people all the time makes you feel like it's the norm. Blame it on the bourgeoisie for making it seem like it's ok to drive 1 ton trucks to cummute 20 miles down a paved road to go work in an office building, and spend a one hour lunch period chowing down supersized, overpriced faux delicatessens in posh nouveau settings. If we all owned smart cars Berkman would have lost this weight with the Astros.:p

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I have no issues with Lance, anyone who watched and followed the club these last few years knew he was disinterested in being here for the rebuilding process. Pretty much figured he would start off strong but check back with me in August after a few months playing RF. Berkman tends to go off on these super streaks but comes back down to earth eventually.

I wish him the best and hope he has a good season but none of this should be a surprise. It will be weird to see him in a Cards uniform tomorrow night, that's for sure.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Berkman wanted to come back to the Astros this offseason. Obviously loves Houston. I don't find it much of a surprise that Berkman would get himself in better shape to play the outfield rather than just getting to stand around at 1B. It probably doesn't hurt that he is actually healthy this year in comparison to the last two years.

Maybe after back-to-back seasons of slowing down, maybe he realized that he can't purely rely on being a natural anymore. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that he isn't going to post these monster numbers throughout the season.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This is the guy that, while at Rice, had buddies pick him up in a car and drive him halfway around the Rice loop he was supposed to run.

Berkman's a good guy, but one that needs strong leadership guiding him. He wasn't a guy you want leading your team. He was comfortable as an Astro.

The Yankees fiasco probably served as a good kick in the pants, and the Cards clubhouse isn't going to afford him a ton of leeway. Good for him shaping up.

1 person likes this.
  16. msn

msn Member

I think emjohn's take is the closest. Although none of us who never see that locker room can ever really know.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I agree with Milo's perception of Berkman's effort in the remaining few seasons he was here. I don't think Berkman gave his all. But, what the exact reality is....who knows?

As it stands, I'm kind of pissed at Berkman because I see effort in St. Louis that wasn't here from him. He quit on us is how I feel. Sure, he would have come back but why would we gamble on him after the previous two seasons where his leadership and prepwork are called into question...not to mention at times he just flat out sucked with long slump periods (yes, injuries played a part but if he's playing and not hitting...it's still slumping)?

Good to see you, Berkman, playing five years younger in St. Louis...NOT. I feel like we were kind of ripped off. I don't think he did squat in the off-season for us. He relied mostly on his God-given natural abilities. That's not to say he wasn't trying when spring training started up forward and injuries hurt him obviously. The fact is if he had done what he needed to do in the off-season...he might not have been so prone to injury in these last few seasons (and I don't mean playing flag football and getting injured). I hope St. Louis gets a taste of injury-prone, slump-prone Berkman...just like we did.

I would like to see Milo ask him these tough questions and see what he says on it. I hope he gets the chance.

#17 Surfguy, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Berkman is on anything special over there....

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Somebody responded to a Richard Justice article over at the Chronicle website that Berkman had a personal trainer in the off-season the last five years and was really dedicated to being in shape in the off-season. If true, then why was he noticably slimmer when he came into training camp for the Cardinals? Yet, he came into our camps with a gut looking like he hadn't picked up a ball since the end of the prior season the last few seasons?

I WANT THE TRUTH! I CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH!

:)

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Speaking the truth Milo.