1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Milo Hamilton Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know there have been many times he hasn't said the score for whole innings, and there is the more than occasional off-topic discussion instead of the calling the action on the field, but he has been the voice of the Astros for 26 years. Tonight was his last game so I wanted to throw this thread up in celebration.Good luck in your retirement Milo,maybe now we can find out the count on the batter a little more often.

2. msn

msn Member

Cheers Milo. All the best.

Honestly, I've heard complaints about his character and he's been off his game ten years, but dude's voice is radio gold. Almost as good as Gene Elston.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm glad he's gone. I'm tired of all these announcers that work way too long.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Milo is a man. He has worked in MLB broadcasting for six decades. Sixty years. So Milo, it is true that you have my appreciation

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Milo is brilliant will miss hearing him on the radio. Though I'm sure he will pop in every once in a while.

6. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

I've always loved Milo growing up as an Astros fan since 1989! He will be missed in the booth and hopefully he can enjoy life after baseball. Best wishes to a good man!:cool:

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This has been overdue for more than a decade. The bad or no information during games. The absolutely horrible call of when the Astros clinched their first NL Pennant. All of the stories of what a jacka*** he is.

Thank you, Milo, for finally retiring.

8. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I say we drop the hate for 1 day and give the man his due for what he's done. Houston hasn't had many HOF voices doing games. He had a great radio voice and brought passion with it, so I tip my hat to him for all the years he gave us. Good luck in retirement Milo!

9. Marteen

Marteen Member

Holy Toledo!

Grew up listening to him on the radio. I don't care what anyone says, he was a great announcer.

Best of luck to him, I'll miss his voice on the Astros broadcasts.

10. Buck Turgidson

Listened to his last game. Was so glad he got to "put a blue star" on a play in the last inning. Very fitting. His voice will be missed, it just sounds like baseball to me.

Can he take Dolan and Raymond with him?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Never cared for Milo. The TV guys have always been where it's at. Brownie, Dierker, and JD. I liked Ashby I suppose.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

holy toledo!!! great voice but horrible announcer.

at least the last 10 years i would drive listening to games, i never knew what the hell was going on, thanks milo.

13. msn

msn Member

Agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but Gene Elston and Gene Peterson say hello.

Gene Elston + Milo Hamilton account for nearly year in the Astros' existence. Loel Passe and Dewayne Staats weren't so bad, either, and in the early years we even had Harry Kalas for a bit.

And then, Gene Freaking Peterson. 'nuff said.

Actually, Houston has been blessed with great radio voices over the decades.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

Apparently some have misread the threat title.

Good luck in retirement Milo.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that Milo was full of himself, but I never had a problem keeping up with what was going on with the game. I've listened to way more games than I've watched due to my work. In his earlier days he was an artist, painting a picture with his words. I do believe it was time for him to go and I wish him well. I will miss him calling the games, bit as he called himself, the captain has signed off.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A lot of time people just cut into the broadcast and there were times he wouldn't give the score for like a five minute stretch.

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Or they appreciate the fact that he's gone.

20. the shark

the shark Member

Milo Hamilton had his day in the sun. As far as calling games that should have ended a LONG time ago. What you need to do is be able to separate calling the games on air from all the pregame and post game duties.

Milo was one of the best, even into the later yrs, at all the pregame/post game stuff. He was great at doing interviews etc. As for calling the games? Over the last twenty yrs? Just flat out pathetic.

I've been an 'Stros fan since '68, and have many friends who are as well. We've had a running joke for yrs how bad Milo is at calling games.