1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

miller / artest?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Francis, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Im all for Artest but not Miller. Artest would be a great athlete to bring off the bench.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, Artest would be a great addition. If we could bail on Cato and Williams and get the cap space (Miller), that would be something.

At that point, we would still have enough cap space at the end of the season (in fact, we'd have MORE) to go after Webber. In fact, with Hakeem's $16 million, Cato and Williams' about $10 million and the salary cap going up, we could be WAY under the cap leaving room to sign Webber, Anderson, Norris and even Taylor if we want.

Artest needs work on his shooting touch but he's a good defender and long enough to play SF. He also runs the floor well which is key with this team and he is young. Sign me up.

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff's got the right idea, the key is sequence. we can hold off on Shandon and Mooch until the rest are signed, because they'll count for less, and then we can sign them to early bird.

For example, let's make this little dreamcast scenario:
    Cato/Walt/Los (and freeing up Chicago's pick) for Miller/Artest/Hoiberg.

Rudy has coached Miller before, and I think likes him, Artest is a very good defender (we need perimeter D) and Hoiberg's cap starch.

Our team salary would be 15.188545 mill (this team would be Francis, Collier, Mobley, Langhi, Artest and Thomas with Shandon and Mooch counted at unrenounced amounts) Assume the cap is 42 mill, that gives us 26.811455 million in cap space for free agents/picks.

Let's assume we fall just short of the playoffs (how bout #12 pick) with Milwaukee getting the #20 pick for us. How much farther up can some combo of KT, Artest, #12, #20 gets us? For kicks, let's say #12, #20, KT=#5 or 6, enough for the nice, but thin center like Loren Woods. Cut about 2 mill from our amount factoring in the loss of KT, and the addition of a high pick. (24.8 mill left)

Now, let's negotiate with our good buddy Falk. Webber has decided to stay in Sacramento or leave for NY. Time to look for a center. You could keep Miller, or after negotiating with Falk, Mo's desire to stay, and Mutumbo's like for warm climates draws them both to Houston. Let's say Mo for 6 mill base, Mutumbo 12 mill base, subtract 18 mill. (6.8 mill left)

Mutumbo/Woods/Collier
    Taylor
    Anderson*/Artest/Langhi
    Mobley/Anderson
    Francis/Moochie*

With this 6.8 mill, use it instead of Early Bird for Shandon/Mooch, apply it back to that pick trade up (take on some garbage contract the other team wants to drop.) and use the rest to keep Brad Miller, or trade/sign a backup PF (JYD, Trent, Horace Grant, Mason, Davis, Gatling). Then resign Mooch and Shandon with Early Bird. If you feel any great obligation, re-up with Bull for the 1 mill minimum. Final product?

Mutumbo/Woods/Collier
    Taylor/JYD
    Anderson/Artest/Langhi/Bullard
    Mobley/Anderson
    Francis/Moochie

Sounds good to me. [​IMG]

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited February 09, 2001).]

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

You would take Woods over Haywood? I dunno about that one.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If we aren't able to get Webber I think I'd rather re-sign Dream rather than get Mutumbo, that is if Dream decides to play next year. Maybe we compromise w/ Dream and get him for $9-11 mil range. Sure Mutumbo brings us that toughness, but Dream has better post game and would be able to help develop a potential rookie C next season to replace him...A trade up for Woods or Haywoode if we're lucky. Of course this is all assuming we aren't able to get CWebb. Lineup:
    C Dream, RookC, Collier
    PF Mo, F.A. PF
    SF Shandon, RookSF/Artest
    SG Mobley, RookSF/Artest
    PG Steve, Mooch

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."
    -- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Miller and Artest I both like-- we do need Artest's perimeter D and Miller can be an excellent backup C-- probably better than Cato when healthy. Off topic, I wanted to respond to the claims of Haywood over Woods. I like UNC basketball, and follow it a lot. And I want their players to succeed, so don't say I'm biased. But I want to stay away from Haywood, period. This guy may have a better NBA body than Woods, but that's all he has. He has very little in terms of post moves. He has that little jump hook to the middle and a turn around that needs a lot of work. Both of which he gets off by just simply being stronger than his opponents, which won't be the case in the NBA. His hands are like Cato's-- stone. I've seen this guy fumble away so many passes its unreal. I'm not going to say Woods is a star, but I like what I've seen of him. He has more agility than Haywood, and can run the floor better. He has much better moves on the offensive end, and probably is a better shot blocker too. Also has more range on his jumper. He won't be a star imho, but he has a lot of similarities to Marcus Camby the way I see it. Haywood looks more like Cato. I like Haywood as a player for UNC, but I just don't see him panning out in the pros. If I were an NBA scout I wouldn't hesitate to take Woods first.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Artest is like a younger Shandon Anderson.

A good defensive addition to any team.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Woods over Haywood all the way. I'd compare Woods' defense to that of taller Kevin Garnett's: ultra quick, can match anyone on defense, block shots, great foot work, but like Garnett did, needs to add more upper body strength. Of course Woods isn't near as skilled offensively/rebounding/passing/dribbling as KG, but I see similarities in how he'll mature defensively with his thin frame. Woods needs to get stronger, but I think will be a good center.

I sense a LOT of Cato in Haywood-can play like a star, or be just a waste of space.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited February 09, 2001).]

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I dunno I guess we will have to wait and see.
    But the ideal player would be Eddie Griffin but it seems the experts are projecting him to go top 3 if he comes out.

------------------

10. jamma34

jamma34 Member

im a little surprised no one has mentioned this yet. and i know bskball isnt the most reliable source, but here's the gist of it nonetheless:
    looks like cato, walt, and carlos rogers are on the block. and rockets are interested in brad miller (whose contract expires at the end of the season)
    anyway, also appears artest is up for grabs. if we trade a package that includes walt,
    we could have our hands on miller (a great backup center and someone to get us some rebounding help) and artest would be a nice backup for shandon/mobes, altho he doesnt have the shooting stroke walt does.
    but im all for miller, if we need, maybe we could keep him on for a bargain at the end of the season, if not, its more room to go after a free agent with.
    if we get anyone from miami, id like mason, but i doubt cato/walt/carlos would do the trick, esp now that the whole waiving dream thing is unlikely.

but anyway, whatever happened to that trade that ws gonna go down that would have us all partying? are we still in the hunt for shareef?

bskball also says miami could be pulled in for a 3 way, including ceballos/majerle. ceballos has an expiring contract, and majerly says he'll retire if he gets traded.
    but anyway, id take miller over cato... at least miller can suit up and play.

oh and here's the link: http://www.bskball.com/Rumors.htm

------------------
    http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

11. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

Artest would be a great addition. Gives maximum effort and his offensive game will only improve. A young player who is known for his hustle and heart. He'd be a good Rocket.

------------------

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I thought Brad Miller signed a 3 yr. deal with the Bulls!?!?!?

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Miller is in the first year of a three year 13 million dollar contract.

If they said that his contract expires this year, then you should be skeptical of the entire article.

Mango

------------------
    Spring Cleaning!!!

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

i believe that miller's contract (unbelievably!) has an opt out clause - at the club's discretion - after each season!

so yes, it's 3 years, but not really. nahmean?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Miller? hhhmmm Honestly To get from under
    the CATO CLAUSE I'd take him but
    I have not watched enough of him to be
    impressed.
    Does he have Collier's range?

I like Langhi and Collier
    Plus we can draft a Center

Rocket River

------------------

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

verse,

Realgm show the team option at the end of this season as you said.

Mango

------------------
    Spring Cleaning!!!

17. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

I have a source(HaHa), that claims to have some intresting knowledge of Miller's contract. Chicago has the option to void the contract after this year. Hence, a one year deal.

------------------

18. Live

Live Member

But the key is that the Rockets' lose Cato's contract. That's enough to make right there.

I say offer some combination involving Cato and the relinquishment of their #1 pick for the next 3(I think) years for Miller & Artest. The Bulls retain control over their pick, and the Rockets get a solid SG/SF and backup C.

------------------
    Who's better: Kelvin Cato or Joe Barry Caroll?

Take your time! :)