1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Tyson fight showing anywhere?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by kubli9, Jun 11, 2005.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does anybody know if any bar or other establishment is showing the Tyson fight tonight in the Houston area?

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I have heard that Hooters will be showing it.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I remember seeing a sign at buffalo wild wings at midtown saying they were showing it with no cover.

4. Rockets Red Glare

Is Live showing it?

5. Rockets Red Glare

Nope they are not showing it....

6. drapg

drapg Member

I was going to order this at home, but I think I'd have more fun watching it in public.

Last time I saw the fight at Jillian's for a $10 cover. I think I might do that again, unless I see better ideas in this thread.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Tyson quit after the sixth round. What the hell?

He really put a dagger in his boxing career. I wonder why he quit? I guess he was too tired to continue or something.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Whoever paid for this fight to watch it at home, should get "dumb" tatooed to their forehead.

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/3682902

With win, McBride may have ended Tyson's career

Mike Tyson's career may have ended in shocking fashion Saturday night when he quit on the stool after taking a beating in a foul-filled sixth round against unheralded Kevin McBride.

Tyson lost for the third time in his last four fights, and once again he faded badly as the rounds went on before head butting McBride in a desperate attempt to end the fight in the sixth round.
    Tyson was pushed to the canvas when the round ended, his head stuck between the first and second ropes. He got up very slowly, wobbled back to his corner and sat on his stool.

A struggling Mike Tyson had to resort to tactics like this head butt against Kevin McBride. It didn't work.

When referee Joe Cortez came by to look at him, his corner told Cortez the fighter could not continue. Cortez then went over and raised McBride's hand in victory.

The 38-year-old Tyson was a huge favorite over McBride and won the early rounds. But as the fight went on, it was McBride landing the bigger punches as Tyson desperately tried to score a knockout.

Tyson was weary by the fifth round and, in the sixth round, he was penalized two points for deliberately head butting McBride and opening a cut over his left eye. The head butt came after Tyson appeared to try to break McBride's arm in a clinch like he once did against Francois Botha and after he hit him with several low blows.

In a career filled with tremendous highs and terrible lows, Tyson may have reached a new low in the loss to McBride, who came into the fight with no credentials.

11. droxford

droxford Member

Well, he made it two rounds more than I thought. And the low-blows and head-butting shouldn't surprise anyone. Hopefully, this is the last spotlight he'll get.

link

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I have a feeling that won't happen until Tyson literally dies in the ring.

Some more Tyson quotes from ESPN.com.

"I can still get in shape but I don't think I have the fight and guts anymore," former undisputed heavyweight champion Tyson told Showtime PPV after the bout, while a chorus of boos filled the MCI Center.

"I don't have the stomach for this no more. I most likely won't fight again. I'm not going to disrespect the sport by losing to this caliber of fighter. I'm sorry to disappoint. I wish there was some way the fans could get some of their money back."

He sure sounds like a guy that knows he's done.

#12 RocketsPimp, Jun 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  13. droxford

droxford Member

Considering that he's not smart enough to hang on to his money, you're probably right. He'll have to keep boxing to cover his debts.

14. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

i cracked up during the post-fight interview when mike came out and told everyone he fought just for the $. he got 5 mil for this fight, but supposedly he owes a whopping 40 mil :eek:

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The problem isn't that he wasn't smart enough to hang on to his money, it's just that he isn't intelligent period. So many people took advantage of Tyson throughout his boxing career. Don King made hundreds of millions off of Mike, in addition to who knows how many other dozens of people. Don King made sure no one got close enough to Tyson to look out for him. Mike trusted Don and was used like a puppet. Although Tyson has done and said some horrible things, it's hard not to feel bad for the guy in many respects. I couldn't imagine going through what he's gone through.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well, Tyson is still in fine form in his post-fight news conferences. Points taken:

1.) He's not trying to screw the hottest chick on TV no more.
    2.) Don't cry for him. He has no sensitivity and doesn't know what to do when someone cries in front of him.
    3.) I don't know if they got their money's worth. I'm a peasant here to entertain the people. I'm an entertainer. They don't invite me to their house for dinner and set me up with their daughters.
    4.) I don't want to hear no swan songs.
    5.) I felt good out of the ring but, once I got in the ring, I felt like I was 140 years old or something.
    6.) Advice for future boxers: I've been out of the loop for so long. They do things their own way and don't want advice from me. Just do your best I guess.
    7.) I will pay the government if I get the money. If I don't get any money, then I can't pay them.

:D

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Can someone ban Tyson from the ring already? Oh wait, they already did that before. If the guy wants to get out of debt, he should just do a reality show. Give the American public their freak show without making them shell out $50.

18. Fatty FatBastard

I love Tyson. I'm sorry this happened. This was the first fight that Tyson has done that I didn't watch.

I just wish Cus had had a future mentor for Tyson. It would have made a world of difference.

Tyson was awesome in the 80's. There was never a more dominant man in the ring.

Unfortunately, when Tyson lost Cus, he lost his spirit. And that is sad.

In writing this, I watched the Tyson/Douglas fight last night. Even then, the announcers were saying that it appeared that Tyson was a bit lost.

It is amazing that he was never able to find a true mentor again.

And for you naysayers, Tyson losing Cus, was like any of us losing our Father... without a mother to guide us.

People that say disparaging things about Tyson don't know his plight.

I hope he gets happy someday.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Tyson really wanted to pay off his debt but stay out of boxing, there is a very simple solution. Reality TV show. I sure as hell would tune in every week just to hear the weird **** that comes out of Mike's mouth on a continual basis.

20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Cus was good for Tyson. Unfortunately, that didn't last.

Tyson is responsible for the choices he made after that. Yes, he was led by conniving managers, but nobody made him play dirty when the fight wasn't going his way. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He doesn't need someone holding his hand his entire life.