1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mike & Mike] Morey Podcast on MVP, Winning, Shorter Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 10, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is a good listen...not just about his MVP thought, but a shorter season.

He actually says shortening the number of games will make ratings rise and actually more revenue. I'm a firm believer that a shorter season DOES NOT cause less money. Heck the national TV revenue doesn't get affected at ALL, because it would have the same number of games. Maybe local TV. But Morey thinks both would actually increase revenue because of better ratings.

CLICK THIS for Podcast popup (not the picture)

Or scroll down here: http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/hou/houston-rockets

[​IMG]

I don't even think season ticketholders will care to pay the same Price of Ownership for less games....it's exhausting to go to all the games, but I'd still pay the same total price to secure playoff tickets, for less games that produce better basketball. I have a long schpiel on this, won't get into here, but glad to here an Analytics nerd confirm that.

#1 heypartner, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like it how it is. NBA players have a job, just like anyone else. 82 times a year they have to work hard for 48 minutes, and they get millions of dollars, and they get time off to vacation every single year. Go perform and do your job.

HTX Ninja, Ramo$e and BigShasta like this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If doing that job 75 times instead of 82 in a season creates a better product, and increases the quality of the sport, I can't see too many reasons to be against that.

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

No matter how much they get paid, their bodies are still human.

Less back to backs and less 4 in 5 nights will keep guys healthier.

No matter how much you get paid, you can still get hurt and worn out. It will be a better product if guys are healthier and not resting

HTX Ninja likes this.
  5. heypartner

Why not 86 games then. Why not 90. What makes 82 special. It very much is debatable whether the game was ever intended to be played that many times per week. It's not in line with other sports.

NBA was started to fill up arenas. That's a fact. It wasn't so much about championship in the beginning...it was just entertainment to the owners. They bought arenas and were looking for events to fill them up with. They arbitrarily chose 80 games.

Consider the NBA is the only league in the US (and only basketball league in the world) that plays a schedule that the game was never intended for.
    • Football is once a week at all levels.
    • Basketball is 2-3 games per week at all levels (and the world).
    • Baseball is 4-5 days rest for pitchers at all levels.. Yeah, MLB plays a ridiculous schedule, but the pitching staffs are biggest enough to do it equal in quality to all other levels.

I suppose Soccer fans do complain about stars having to play national schedules in the middle of the season.​

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Best trainers, dieticians and equipment money can buy. The human body can more than handle it. It isn't Nam, it's basketball.

It was good enough for Bill, Wilt, Magic, Larry, Jordan, Shaq and Hakeem, so it is good enough for me. Let the Euro Nancies and the college boys play the short seasons. The NBA has a historical precedent of 82 games, and I enjoy every single game and have for years. (Even the Juwan Howard years)

I am all for cutting out the pre-season almost entirely If it means getting less back-to-backs. Aside from that, I like 82.

Ramo$e and BigShasta like this.
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I would prefer 116 games per team in the regular season. Start the season 2.5 months earlier. I hate the long summer break without the Rockets.

Each team plays the 29 others teams 4 times each = 116 Games.

2 Away and 2 at Home

BigShasta likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Please on fewer games.

I want to see the players healthy and energized for the players, not with lost legs.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I prefer 365 games during regular season. Playoffs in the a.m. While regular season in the pm

Jugdish likes this.
  10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I would just extend the season. Only have 2 or 3 weeks of training camp (instead of the usual month) then reduce the preseason games to 4 per team. That should free up at least an additional 2 weeks for the regular season and games can be spaced out a bit more. Maybe enough to eliminate most of the back to backs.

I think eliminating back to backs should be the biggest priority, and a lot of it could be done without having to do anything to the games played by just spreading out the games better. Like the Rockets just had a week where they played 2 games in 7 days. The goal should be 3/4 games a week.

PyroTex likes this.
  11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Link keeps sending me to Google Play. Another link possible?

12. heypartner

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. heypartner

To me the key to increased quality of play is more practice time. That's what is missing vs other leagues and sports. NBA has lost its practice time. I think the Rockets went nearly the entire first month this year with no full practices.

I don't think 2 weeks more to eliminate B2Bs gets you back enough practices, like college or Euro...or like the playoff schedule for that matter.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. the shark

the shark Member

Players have been playing this schedule for years so quit the damn crying. As the TV revenue increased the time during timeouts has lengthened as well.

On top of that they weren't being paid millions of $$ to play.

You play a damn game for a few hours a day (on average 3-4 times a week) and you can't handle it?

Baseball players play EVERY damn day from Apr through Sept.

Just lengthen the season and cut out the number of back to back games.

15. dmoneybangbang

I am sorry, but basketball wasn't nearly as fast paced or demanding.

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Baseball players don't have the same physical requirements and pitchers get 4 days rest..... come on..... just stop with such a silly comparison.

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

In Chuck Taylors? Hell yes it was...

The 80s and 90s were probably even more demanding. A case can definitely be made. Detroit/Chicago, case in point.

18. dmoneybangbang

No it wasn't. You are confusing harder fouls with playing harder. The pace as a whole, not just a few teams, has increased steadily. Defenses actually cover more ground in today's NBA.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

This.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Hard fouls don't make the game more "demanding"? Defenses cover more ground because they wear better shoes, have far superior medical staffs, trainers, dieticians, etc. Right? Hand checking doesn't have a direct correlation with "covering ground"?