1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Mayock: J.J. Watt Best Five-Technique EVER

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

It's cool to bring this back up to see how all the doubters were wrong but I have to completely disagree on the whole Mario Williams talk here.

He's no J.J Watt but he was definitely a guy we needed to have resigned rather than saying oh we'll just resign Connor Barwin next off-season (who didn't sign before the season and gambled on himself for the free-agent market anyway).

We could have restructured contracts that year and at the very least kept Mario and NOT resigned Connor Barwin which would have been the absolute correct move and our team would have fared much better. I'm not a Texans basher, if anything I support no matter what, but I just particularly disagree with that move. At the very least you franchise and trade the guy but you DO NOT lose him for nothing. That was the wrong way to go there.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

TOTALLY disagree. Resigning Mario would have handicapped this team’s cap flexibility severely going forward. IIRC, it would have cost the team around $20m to franchise him, so that wasn’t even an option.

Had they resigned Mario to a massive deal, how would Foster’s deal have been made? What about Matt Schaub’s deal, for better or worse? Cushing and Watt? At the minimum, bringing Mario back would have meant letting at least 1-2 of these players go. And all four of them are more effective on the field then Mario.

If there is one decision that the FO has nailed, it was letting Mario walk.

3. conquistador#11

noooooooooo don't draft him! we should go with prince or nick fairly, both will be hof'ers before this pizza delivery dude! SMH at the organization. i'm never watching again!

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I thought fairly would be better. He dominated and played in the SEC. Good old SEC hype.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Cause players never regress from having top 5 years at their respective positions *clears throat* CJ2K.

That's the problem, now everyone will be expecting this every year from JJ and if he doesn't deliver then he's just crap and somethings wrong with him.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The difference is "football character". CJ2K had Godgiven 4.2 speed. You can't get to that level by training alone. But now he's going to be 28 coming into this season; he's running up against that RB wall.

Watt on the other hand has one quality that distinguishes him: an uncanny work ethic. That's what got him here, and as a 3-4 DE you can count on that work ethic to lead him far. It's actually foreseeable given the career arcs of such players that we indeed have not yet seen his best, and that he will have a loooong career playing a level close to this. It's really stupefying, and we should just enjoy it while we can.

7. liveguy

liveguy Member

Eh...

As long as he gets double digit sacks and keeps swatting them balls down...he'll have a Howie Long, Reggie White type of career.

He can for sure do that.....he is a BEAST!

He works hard and is still young!

Future is bright for him.

8. Mashing

Mashing Member

Everyone needs to shut the hell up before a jinx gets layed on him.

9. SSP365

SSP365 Member

its blatantly obvious that not resigning mario was a great move. have you see what's happening to him in buffalo? bills fans hate his guts.

so glad we didnt resign him and so glad you arent gm.

10. Raven

Raven Member

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Not only was it a great move to not resign him (cuz he would cap hell us like Pitt, and we'd lose Cushing) but we also didn't lose him for nothing.... The average NFl fan doesn't understand the compensatory picks, but we got a 3rd rounder for Mario walking, and he had no production in Buffalo. I personally think he would've been great here, but his cap hit would have singlehandedly destroyed the team. Brooks Reed + Cushing + Montgomery (who i still thought was the wrong pick, but it's early) is FAR better than just Mario Williams.

Side note, Marcus Lattimore is gonna bite us in the ass, when we lose Tate and he gets healthy.