1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Mayock: Deshaun Watson to Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Apr 27, 2017.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

In his annual draft day mock, Mike Mayock has the Texans taking Deshaun Watson who is also ranked the #1 QB prospect on Mayock's final position rankings:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mike-mayock-mock-draft-two-qbmotivated-trades

Now, I consider Mayock to be the best draft analyst in the business, period. I have taken his word before to the bank and cashed in my greatest karma payout on this board:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/mike-mayock-j-j-watt-best-five-technique-ever.204096/

However, I'm hesitant to classify this pick in the same category. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued by Watson, and Mayock's word is good enough for me to believe this is gonna happen tonight.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Texans will not draft Watson!

3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Who will they draft? ;)

4. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

If Watson falls to #25, I'm all for it, but don't trade up. Not big on any QBs in this draft, but if I was forced to take one Watson would be the guy based simply on proven performances in big games at the college level. Again, no QB in this draft is worth trading up for

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would be surprised

Rocket River

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Damn, I feel like an idiot

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Das it mane!
    Das not it mane

ghettocheeze likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I am fine with him at 25 but trading a first rounder is idiotic.

We are dumb.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Man, I wanted Mahomes more, but Watson is going to be great here.

He's going to work his ass off because he's pissed not only one QB was taken in front of him, but two were.

This is literally the perfect situation for him.

If he can cut down on his picks, he'll be something like Russ Wilson or Dak Prescott.

vtjsr2, JamesC and ghettocheeze like this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

This is stupid.

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I agree the price is a bit steep even for my taste, but the Texans have reached a point in the team's evolution where a safe pick would have only provided incremental benefits since the defense is already top of the league.

Therefore, we needed to roll the dice on a QB whether in the draft or through a trade like Garappolo as I have been advocating all offseason.

This was O'Brien and Smith putting their jobs on the line. It's homerun or bust at this point.

JeffB, Major, vtjsr2 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pete the Cheat

Why are you wrong at everything? Do you type with your nose? Does your butt have taste buds?

ghettocheeze likes this.
  15. conquistador#11

don't mind the extra pick given. with inflation it turns out to be the same for the schaub deal, which atlanta got 2 mid second rounders? The browns will just get the texans late first rounder which will turn out to be the 26th after the texans rest their players for the playoffs yet again. For a qb you love, that's cheap. The second given to them to take Brocks contract will also be more of a third rounder.

Recap, basically a second rounder and a 3rd rounder for the qb you fancy and for cleveland to clear your previous mistake. The analytics for cleveland comes in with them betting and wanting you to finish last in your division. Only then would they have fleeced us.

But this team can reach the playoffs with the factory of sadness hoylett. It would take the entire defense going out with injuries and romeo leaving due to health reasons. Good risks for both teams. Texans will nail some future coveted free agents with our 4th, 5th and undrafted so not worried about that.

Really worried about Watson being bad at reading coverages though.

was crossing fingers for mahomes. =/

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Very much my take.

The combined value of trading Osweiler, two first-round picks (2017, 2018), a second-round pick (2018), a sixth-round pick (2017) to the Browns for Watson, a fourth-round pick (2017), and $16,000,000 in cap savings, is good a deal for both sides. Cleveland needs the assets to build and Texans needed the reset option on a QB.

17. Mr. Clutch

I don't know what this means but people were equally excited about Brock last year.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It just seems that unless we get Brady or Rodgers for a used washing machine you are going to be upset and complain about the latest BOB leak. One thing I think I have learned not to complain about is a Rick Smith first round pick.

Sooty likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

I actually am a fan of Watson, just not sure it's been worth it to trade these high picks

houstonstime likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I understand, and I said before the draft I was only ok with trading up if it is someone they honestly believe is their guy. If this is your franchise QB, then it is worth moving up. Now, could they have mis-evaluated? Yes. But if they truly believe this is their franchise QB, then I think they made the right decision because he was not going to be there at 25.

texans1095 likes this.