1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike James should start at PG right now: who agrees?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stroker, Oct 31, 2007.

?

Should Mike James start at PG right now?

Poll closed Nov 11, 2007.
  1. Start Mike James now and teach him to dribble less

20 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Stay with Rafer and bring MJ off the bench.

49 vote(s)
    57.0%
  3. Start Steve Francis now, MJ and Alston alternate off bench

17 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. stroker

stroker Member

With MJ's vastly superior jump shot, overall scoring ability, better ability to penetrate, better defense and decent inbound pass to Yao, I would start MJ right now much like the Rocks started Snyder at the 2 last year for a couple of games and benched him long before his injury.

MJ's deficiency's (overdribbling) are much less than Rafer's shortcommings (poor shot selection, poor defense, poor shooting percentage) and also if given the minutes and coaching, I think Mike James' assists would increase as he gets more starters minutes and playing with the starters would help his assists as he learns the tendancies of his team mates. MJ's upside is also much greater than Rafer's at this time.

It's time Mike James is inserted into the starting lineup with Rafer gradually phased down to the 3rd PG spot as soon as Stevie gets comfy with the offense and the motion IMO, occasionally insert Alston when the matchups call for more pure playmaking, but allow the team to let MJ grow into the position with the starters. Everyone knows Rafer is not a starting PG for a team that will go deep into the playoffs, but what is our alternative and when do the Rocks push the eject button on Rafer? Mike James would make this team much more dangerous at the starting PG right now, and if we can live with Rafer's inconsistent play, why can't the team live with Jame's development as a starting PG right now?

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Yes let him start Right now. Not tomorrow.

3. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

NOT ME! because mike james will always look for his shot first. this will only work if you plan on benching tmac and making HIM 6th man.

4. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Whenever he has the ball, I can almost visualize him saying "I'm Mike James, b****!!!!!!!!"

5. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Disagree.
    He was exactly what we needed last night--a big spark off the bench. But he's way too much of a scorer first to put him in as the starting PG. If the roles were reversed, I don't think Alston would give us jack off the bench.

I think if SF ever gets in shape than the starter position will have to be between them.

So for now Alston is out best bet (scary, I know).

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sorry Stroker, Adelman is smarter than you.

Start Rafer.

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I was drunk and yelling that last night

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I will support the coach's decision and whoever is on the floor. I'm even rooting for Bonzi who quit on us last season and got a free pass.

9. A00man

A00man Member

Mike James is better suited as a spark off the bench.

For our starters, I wish Scola develops quickly so he can replace Chuck. I like Chuck and all but we can't have two inefficient offensive players in our starting line-up. Alston, Tracy, Shane, Scola (when he's ready), and Yao should eventually be our starting line-up. I think they'll be the most efficient starting 5.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I am drunk and yelling that right now.

And I;m at work.

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I'll have to go back and look but I distinctly remember Tmac being frustrated with James in Q2, Tmac wanting the ball and James overdribbling and waiving him off.

I think James is often a potent offensive player, sometimes he gets to the hole better than Tmac. But you cannot have James dominating the basketball to start a game.

Rather, I think James is a finisher in Q4. I think it's more important who finishes games than starts. Think Kenny Smith/Sam Cassell. Late in games, when you substitute players for offense/defense, here's where i think we'll go:

Offense: James/Tmac/Bonzi/Battier/Yao. Tmac is the trigger man, serious offensive threats at all other positions. James is the assassin from the perimeter.

Defense: James/Tmac/Battier/Hayes/Yao.

12. jason_long

jason_long Member

no, MJ shoots too much, Rafer is better with Yao and t-mac. Rafer runs the offense well and he passes the ball to yao and t-mac

13. NO NAME

NO NAME Member

No way, he is always looking for his shot, so it's better he comes off the bench.

14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

disagree

assist to turnover ratio

15. YourSecretLover

I disagree. Rafer should start for now

Mike James is important as a spark plug off the bench

16. G Rat

G Rat Member

We need bench points...

17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

we need a constant flow of offense. james out there with tmac and yao is just overkill. we need rafer to compliment our megastars. he's the playmaker.

let james get his from the bench. its a 48 minute game. thats the way i see it. i have no problems with how adelman is using rafer and james.

18. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Waving off T-Mac said everything to me last night. Waving off one of your top two scoring options and perennial all-star player so you can do your thing is not what I want for a starting pg, initiating the offense and moving without the ball. I think if Steve gets into shape and doesn't whine about not starting in the rotation, he's our starter. As much as Steve is a ball hog, Mike James is worse.

19. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

i THOUGHTmj was a shooting guard?

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

wrong. mike james waved tmac away so he could move his defender away from the passing space between james and yao. james was trying to get the ball into yao and thats exactly what he did. right after tracy moved to the corner, james passed it into a posted up yao.