1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Ditka: There has been no oppression in U.S. in last 100 years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Oct 10, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Oppressed would specifically mean being denied rights. This isnt about rich vs poor

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

By who as a whole? Do white people treat black people different or worse than black people treat white people or black people treat other black people?

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

^
    Well, you've got the right avatar -- I'll give you that much.

MexAmercnMoose and justtxyank like this.
  4. mick fry

mick fry Member

^ you don't(B-Boob)

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dunno. Just because Obama exists does not mean there are not other aspects of the U.S. that creates marginalization for certain people, including black people.

There are people in positions of power that impact people in negative ways. I am not going to list them.

There were debates in the 1950's and 1960's stating that it was best for whites and blacks to go to school separately. In 30 years people will look back and understand the statistics better for example black males getting harsher sentences for the same crimes as other people.

In saying all that there are problems that black communities need to address also. Hopefully as time goes people will continue to evolve as they always have and society continues to improve.

So in conclusion your statement is entirely too simple. A half black, half white president does not signify a stop of all forms of oppression. It is most definitely a step in the right direction. Although I would say that if it would have been a white man or maybe Clinton that had won. You would most likely not see Trump as president currently. The backlash of Obama had to helped get someone that brazen in the White House.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a dumb question. When one person holds more power than another they have a greater potential impact on someone's life. So yeah, it's more important that the cop/judge/jury/congressman/banker/real estate agent treats people fairly than it is your neighbor treat you fairly. Your question underscores your privilege.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

How you act should have no influence in how you're treated? Comply or Resist with the cop? Be respectful or talk back to the Judge? There are injustices but the majority is self inflicted.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Pakistan had a female prime minister before.

I guess women are not oppressed in Pakistan.

B-Bob and Yung-T like this.
  9. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

You and Ditka have a lot in common.

I should make a new thread called "Race baiting bigots, please post here". You and ditka would probably run it up to 30 pages or more.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

Is it really race baiting anymore when almost half the country just wants to flat our dismiss any racial issues that exist thus resulting in people calling them out?

Is calling them out for ignoring and dismissing a problem 'race baiting'?

#30 fchowd0311, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  11. Tha_Dude

Nah, the problem is that race baiters do what they do for a reason, they don't care about solving anything. They don't care about having a discussion. They just want to keep things the same way that they are.

CometsBigot and Ditkabigot wants to go the inflammatory route without giving any acknowledgement to the fact that most of us really do care and we want to see changes and we want to make this country better for everyone.

12. fchowd0311

I mean... You can keep on repeating this trope...

Doesn't mean it has to reflect reality.

13. Tha_Dude

I agree with you and I fully believe that it won't, in the long run.

14. fchowd0311

Here is what I consider race baiting.

I'm brown. If I'm in a group project and am slacking and a team member decides to complain to the professor, I would be race baiting if I told the professor that the team member is racist.

Someone calling out an idiot celebrity for stating a objective falsity regarding racial issues is not race baiting. It's calling out an idiot and someone who probably has some racist tendencies.

15. Tha_Dude

Calling out a fellow team member as being racist in this instance would simply be lying on your part.

I already told you that I think ditka is a bigot, so I don't see how this analogy compares.

16. fchowd0311

So why is the poster you called a race baiter and you aren't given your criteria of calling Ditka out which is all he did?

Also, wouldn't race baiting be a form of lying? I thought 'race baiting' was using race as a crutch when it shouldn't be hence the person is lying?

How would someone be a race baiter when they ACCURATELY call out a racial injustice or an actual bigot?

17. Tha_Dude

You can accurately call out a racial injustice without being a bigot. Those two things are not mutually inclusive or anything like that.

CometsBigot goes out of his way to hate on white people. If you can't see that then you're truly blind, my friend.

We need to be better than that. Not everyone who disagrees with you is some form of mutant.

#37 Tha_Dude, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Looks like he tried to walk it back today lol.

"I have absolutely seen oppression in society in the last 100 years and I am completely intolerant of any discrimination. The interview was about the NFL and the related issues," he said in a statement posted on Chicago's WGN-TV, according to the AP.

19. CometsWin

This is just nonsense that you tell yourself to make you feel better about it.

20. CometsWin

Tha_Dumbass, you should really stick to movie quotes in the GARM.