1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni's Philosophy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, May 18, 2016.

1. Harden's beard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, this is what Les ultimately wants... half basketball half cheap circus entertainment. Beating the Warriors in their own game by mimicking their system when we don't even have the right kind of personnel?

Is Les senile or what

2. bmd

bmd Member

Who says the personnel isn't going to change?

3. Harden's beard

we will never have the right kind of personnel to beat the GSW in their own game. They have two best shooters of all time, we gotta implement different strategy to exploit their weakness, not be a beta version of the Warriors.

4. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I'm sure Dantoni (if hired) and Morey are well aware that the roster isn't made to play the way GS plays. I think what they will do is integrate an offense that plays to the teams strengths. Spreading the court and moving the ball are key to how GS generates shots. It's not just Steph and Klay bombing away out there. That offense generates great looks for some previously pretty mediocre players. I'm intrigued by what a change in offensive philosophy could bring to the current roster plus a few key additions.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Last year the Cavs pulled Mozgov and hurried the slaughter.

This year the Thunder stand their ground, refuse to go small and use their bigs to upset the Warriors in Game 1.

Thunder understand you're not going to beat the Warriors by out Warrioring the Warriors.

The best coaches don't run a schtick. They are flexible. Look at Pop. He hates 3s, but then went heavy on 3s. But then he gets Aldridge. According to D'Antoni, Aldridge shooting post up jumpers is a bad shot. LOL YEAH OKAY!

That's like when Les told JVG to be like the Suns.

Les: Be like the Suns.
    JVG: We have a 7'6" guy who can shoot post up baseline jumpers over every body.
    Les: No! Run 100 mph for 48 minutes like the Suns!
    JVG: Our 7'6" marquee centerpiece's speed is glacial!
    Les: Shut up and suck it up.
    JVG: hmmmm not sure if I wanna keep doing this.
    Les: Too late! You're fired.

Why be like the Suns? You have a 7'6" guy who is dominant when fed in a half court offense.

Player: Coach, I have a baby left hook that can't be guarded.
    Dantoni: Doesn't matter. Be like Warriors. Pass to guard who will shoot quick release contested 3s or if not he will pass to other guard who will shoot 3s from logo.

1 person likes this.
  6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That's a really positive interpretation of the quote, because I read it as him wanting to copy GS.

He doesn't mention what happens when the other teams' best defensive player isn't their big. The game is much more likely cyclical rather than it has achieved its ideal form.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We are so fucced

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

delete

#8 REEKO_HTOWN, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016