1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Conley or Kyle Lowry?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsJumer, Jan 29, 2015.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

The Memphis Grizzlies had both of these guys in 2008, but chose to stick with Conley. As of January 29, 2015, which would you rather have?

First off, I understand why the Grizzlies went with Conley instead. He was the 4th pick in the 2007 draft, a more traditional point guard and someone they felt they could build around. Also, at that time, Lowry didn't resemble the player he is today. He couldn't shoot anywhere past 15 feet, mostly a defensive guard and was kind of a headache to deal with.

If anyone told me in 2009, that the relatively unknown player we traded Rafer Alston for would one day be starting an All-Star game, I would laugh in their face. Lowry's transformation is such a remarkable story.

Personally, I would have to go with Lowry. Conley's averages of 17 points, 5.6 assist and 3 rebounds aren't a joke but Lowry's 20 points, 7 assist and 5 rebounds are outstanding!

I'm sure Memphis felt they made the right decision, which is hard to argue against. But if Lowry was on the Grizzlies in the place of Conley, I think the Memphis team is the favorite out West and for the title.

Thoughts?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Close, but I'll take Lowry

4. NotChandlerParsons

Kyle Lowry. Just to make Grizz fans angry.

5. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Lowry, not even close.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry to hear Mark Gasol got snubbed from the All-Stars again.

7. AFS

AFS Member

I'd be happy either way. Mike Conley is no slouch. I'd give the edge to Lowry now though.

8. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I'd pick Conely any day of the week. You have to watch him play every game to see how amazing he is. He can go in any direction, use any hand and take over games from time to time. Not to mention his awesome defence. Just a super stud and super underrated.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You do realize he is starting, right?

DD

10. basketballholic

Always been a big fan of Lowry. Always favored him over Conley. However.........Lowry has a tendency to try to do too much in crunch time. I've seen him overdo it several times this year. Yes, he's putting up a few more numbers but he ain't playing with Zach and Marc Gasol either. Still like both players. But if I were trying to win a championship and needed a guy to make a play in crunch time...I'm going with Conley.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Agree with you about Lowery attempt to do too much..but what if Lowery played for the Griz , I thnk they be better team.i don't think Conley can help the raptor that much from what Lowery is doing right now for them

12. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I thought for sure this was a what thread.

I'd take Conley longterm, Lowry short term.

I just don't believe Lowry's body is going to hold up much longer with his style of play, but I believe he is the better player right now.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This is my exact reasoning. I choose Conley as well.

Having said that, Lowry is the heart and soul of that Toronto squad. He knows he has to take the big shots because that is his role on the team.

This shouldn't be an issue but I have a hard time trusting a squad that relies on their PG to do so much. Thus, I like Conley because I feel like he makes everyone on the floor better...a championship PG

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Gotta go with Lowry because of what he does at the end of close games.

15. rocketseagles07

Lowry because he's a closer/more of a go to scorer. It is close though Conleys very good

16. vince

vince Member

Conley was expected to be at least this good. Lowry had to earn his stripes.

Grizzles made right call. if they'd have gone with Lowry over Conley, they have a different version of Lowry.

Now the question should be: would the Grizzley trade Conley for Lowry, straight up? Which is a no, because Conley makes the Grizzleys go.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'd take Conley. Fairly easily in fact.

The guy remains one of the most under-rated PG's in the NBA. Does exactly what is required to win pretty efficiently. I am sure he could put up better numbers than Lowry if he was the 1st option but the guy understands how to get others involved like Gasol and ZBo and play proper teamball. He is the perfect PG.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Conley fits in. Lowry stands out. Lowry can win you games solo. Conley just keeps things rolling.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

what and I agree that Kyle Lowry is the better player.

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Depends on the team.

If you want your point guard to be one of your 3 best players, Lowry all day.

If you need someone to smooth things over and make sure things run flawlessly on a high-strung, messy, star-saturated team a la the Dwight Lakers, I think Conley is a much better pick.

Most current basketball situations including the 2015 Grizzlies, I'd pick Lowry.