1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Bibby - what would it take?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 7, 2007.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

how about RA and MJ for DW? :p

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, I agree with you here, I would wait to see how it develops and not make the trade until December, but would you consider it once Bibby is healthy?

DD

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

having only francis and brooks as your backup PGs is a scary position to be in

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nope, not to my knowledge. Not only would I not want to pay him that much money but i'm sure Sacramento would require us parting with Battier or somebody important. No thanks.

Bibby would be no defensive improvement. He's also fallen so much in love with the jumpshot in recent years to the point where I would actually prefer Mike James taking the same shots and making nearly a 1/3 of what he makes.

5. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I think he can opt out but no way he does so. If I remember correctly, he could have opted out last year but would have left 28 million on the table. The only way he gives up his 14 million next year is if someone gave him a longer deal at slightly less money per year. Maybe like a 3 year 27-30 million dollar deal and I dont think he is worth that. Especially when Yao and Tmac make so much already. The luxury tax issues would never go away and we would end up depleting our depth even more.

6. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

I wish we could get Raymond, but there is no way Charlette will depart with him. Brandon Knight on the other hand could be a great fit if he could stay healthy.

7. ABtheTerrorist

isn't the consensus around here that the kings will not deal to help Coach RA?
    i thought there was an article around here but i have no link.sorry.
    I would love Bibby of old. the Bibby that played for the good Adleman teams was awesome and would be perfect for us. i think he can still play.get it done Morey

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yeah I would. It all depends on how he plays when he returns but it will take too much to acquire him (Maloofs dont like Coach A?).

Also, his fg % was the lowest for him last season probably due to that finger injury. I just don't see a trade for him happening but you never know with Morey.

9. aamir

aamir Member

I'd rather see us go after Jose Calderon... too bad Toronto already knows about MJ and Rafer...

10. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Yeah! We should hook up Brooke and that dude from Better Basketball :D

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

The upcoming free agency got a whole lot interesting recently with teams failing to lock up some pieces.

If they can keep declining on their 1-3 start.

If Artest opts out as he has a player option.

The Rockets can help them free up $10 million to maybe get under the salary cap? Bibby will make $14.5 million next season which is also the last year of his contract.

So if the Kings look like they are in rebuilding mode by December...
    Alston+Francis+Snyder+Novak+Landry for Bibby.

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Exactly.

MJ is a great 6th man and will give us instance offense/decent defense more often that not. If you're looking to upgrade our starting point guard position, hell, I'm all for it, but not at the expense of losing our spark off the bench.

Rafer's shooting has been horrible thus far, but we're 4-1 against some good teams. Sure, Rafer will have a good offensive game like 1 in every 4 or 5 games, but he's our best ball handler and is pretty mistake free while running the offensive. The fact that we have so many good weapons now helps hide the fact that he's better at dribbling then shooting. Meh, it could be worse.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

thats the usual rebuilding plan. the problem is, james' contract is equal to bibby's in length, and rafers is longer by a year.

the problem i see with making this work is matching salaries while matching the kings requests for young players and short contracts.

my suggestion would be to contact miami about jason williams ending contract. a 3 way trade might work for all teams.

MIA - rafer, snyder, future pick (hou)
    SAC - williams, brooks, francis (most likely waived)
    HOU - bibby

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

DD, ever since the aging african thread, you have been obsessed with Bibby. It's not going to happen. We simply wont be able to absorb his salary. Besides that, I wouldnt trade multiple assets of ours, which arent many, for his expring contract, knowing that he might walk out on us next year. In addition, I am not too impressed with Bibby's game lately. Sac were depesprately trying to dump him, but there werent takers.

15. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

If we traded Mike James again, I would disown the rockets.

16. big11

big11 Contributing Member

While Bibby is good, Nash will be great for us. A two time MVP, a famed coach, a two time scoring champ and a 7'6 guy will get it done this year pretty much for sure. Now, only if we can get him somehow!

17. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I think kings would rather have sura's contract than james, too bad we already cut sura.

alston/sura/head/novak for bibby would be great

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

At this point in their respective careers, Mike James is better than Mike Bibby. Please don't trade for a washed-up player with a big contract.

19. Rowdie Brandon

I've always been a huge Bibby fan, but he's too injury prone to take a risk like that....in his prime I'd make it happen in a heart beat.....dude plays his heart out on the court.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is 29 years old, and is no more injury prone that Yao or Tmac.....

I think he would be fine, and would love to have him but a lot of posters have pointed out reasons it might not happen.

Still fun to dream.

DD