1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mihm going pro

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kissofdeath, May 5, 2000.

1. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

Now, I'm not the kind of guy to be breakin' news -- I'm not connected to ANYONE in basketball and I live in a sleepy little town like Austin.
    However, someone close to the Mihms told me that Chris will foregoe his senior season and declare for the draft. I'm no Popeye and I don't cruise malls stalking Rocket front office suits -- but I guess everyone gets a little nugget now and then.

Impact on the Rockets? Well, if we stay put at #9, the odds are better that we can get a player of Miller or Miles caliber. If we trade up, I could imagine a scenario where we acquire Mihm and keep him AND Cato. I could see us dangling him in front of San Antonio for sign and trade bait -- or shipped elsewhere in some blockbuster that only Popeye and the Rockets org. can imagine at this stage...........

This news surprised me -- I thought for sure this kid would stay in school one more year..

------------------

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK--RF34:

This is your season. Do you have a new mock draft ready for us, yet, to include the new coming outs.

btw: the Swift thing is still just a rumor, correct?

3. 3pointer

3pointer Member

If this is true then that is good news for the Rox as it would improve our chances of getting someone we have our eyes on ... if Chicago /Clips or Vanc have the #1 pick would he go #1 ? I think if Chicago has it more than likely that is who they would take meaning that Martin would more than likely go #2 and so on so on... if we are able to move up to say #4 then we are looking at a possible franchise type of big man ... that would be awsome.

------------------
    What now ?

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I am not sure I believe this. My source, who also posts on this BBS and is more than welcome to identify himself if he wishes, has previously stated that despite his parents' wishes to the contrary, Mihm will be returning for his senior year.

------------------
    No one ever has, or ever will again, play the game of basketball with the verve and skill of 7-foot Kelvin Cato.

BEHOLD YOUR NEW GOD.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Kagy's source is none other than myself! (Wow, a Republican relying on a Democrat for info...leverage! [​IMG] )

My source, who is very good friends with the Mihms, is now puzzled. When I posted about a month ago that he would stay, it was pretty much a sure bet. However, like Kagy said, his parents are wanting him to turn pro. My source doesn't know either way.

Being a huge Horn fan, I hope he stays. UT's got a good incoming and returning squad, especially if Mihm stays. My gut says he will. Like Kirk Bohls wrote today, he could become a legend along with Tommy Nobis, Roger Clemens, and much more recently, Ricky Williams. Plus, there would be no pressure of "will he stay or will he go."

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in late May, for now visit www.eesite.com)

6. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

Rocketman95 -- thanks for the info. I should have elaborated on the nature of my source earlier but I don't know if I would be violating any confidences. In any event, these were words directly out of Chris' mouth. He stated flatly that if he were projected to be a top three pick -- he would turn pro. Again, I didn't hear him say this but it sounds as if my source is as close to Chris as yours is. I'm sure with a big decision like this and depending on who he may be sharing his thoughts with, I could see him saying he would stay AND go. I guess we'll have to wait and see. However, I would feel like I wasn't living up to my clutchcity responsiblities if I didn't report what I heard. Take this for what it's worth - but don't question the source here. If nothing else, this is another area for endless amounts of speculation.

I like Mihm's game but don't know if I would give up alot to get him unless he were to be sent to another franchise and we would get someone of Duncan's caliber. Mihm has had a lot of success at Texas - a team that, under Penders, ran the floor alot. Under Barnes, they have shifted to a tougher, half-court, defensive-minded style. Mihm has been exposed to two very different systems and blossomed in both. I like to think he could run with players like Mobley, Francis, Anderson, and even Cato. Mihm could play PF while Cato concentrates on defense and shot-blocking. That's an impressive starting five.

Even more exciting is the idea of the Rockets moving up to get Mihm with the idea that they would then ship him and others to a squad like SA for Duncan.

Another thought -- bigger names drop to that four slot with Mihm coming out -- possibly a Fizer or Swift. Say the Rockets stand pat at 9 or 10 and guys like Miller or Miles are even more of a possiblity.

Just more meaningless speculation from guys like me that love this time of year when the rumour mill is beginning to swirl and the Rocket brain trust is kicking into overdrive. It's almost as if there are two seasons for us Rocket fanatics:

1. The regular season -- in this case, a very exciting season with new faces emerging -- Thomas, Francis, Anderson The Wiz, Cato, Moochie and Los.

2. and the off season -- where the Rockets, under Alexander, have pulled off major deals the last two years. These guys will stop at nothing to put a championship calibre team on the floor. The Pippen deal was a bust without losing anyone of significance. The Francis deal hurt but proved to be worth the gamble. The Anderson acquisition was pure genius.

Historically, this organization has been reluctant to make big moves during the offseason. That was then, and this is now and it looks as if the Rockets aren't done yet.

------------------

7. MManal

MManal Member

HeyPartner,

RF34 and myself will have a mock draft up on the site when the actual lottery order is determined so it will be up in a couple of weeks. Right now, so many things could change as the top 3 picks have not even been determinded yet.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

8. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

From what my sources tell me, Mihm WILL declare. However, he will not hire an agent, wait for lotto order to be determine, see where he'll go, and then decide if he'll go back or not. That's what I understand.

About how Mihm will affect our draft status is he'll push another quality player down toward us.

The Swift thing IS a rumor. He's practicing with his teammates right now, and is torn whether to declare now(agent talk) or stay another year(he knows he can improve more). Basically $$$ are being thrown in front of his face, and NBA personel are seeing if he'll bite.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net