1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You literally had to beg the governor in person in the capital on a work day to get your rights back. That was absurd. They would ask personal questions that dated back decades. Completely unacceptable.

Just doing away with that charade is great.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Congrats to WIll Hurd (and to Gina Ortiz Jones)... winning in Democrat and Hispanic district. One of the republicans that should be on the fast track...

B-Bob likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

Kudos to Wal-mart

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Ignore the messenger if you can. The Florida voting rights restoration process was a joke.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Meanwhile...

The economic divide continue to grow. Is rural area economically better after 2 years? Did those tax cuts help them? How about the trade wars? Is the coming debt crush and eventual social service cuts going to help rural folks? (ask these same questions of urban folks)

It's the economy stupid... maybe isn't so anymore.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

AP just called the Utah race to a Dem, unseating incumbent Mia Love. that makes +38 for the Dems

two close races, Ga-7 and Calif-21 in the Central Valley, still undecided, too close to call.

should the Dems win these 2, it will be a net gain of 40 seats. don't think the Dems had ever done this well

Deckard and DreamShook like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

republicans... smh.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Now at 41 flips and +39 new Dems in the House. The historic Trump victory continues.

mdrowe00, Deckard and DreamShook like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

she lost by 700 votes, lol.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It was a genuine "Blue Wave" for the Democratic Party. A crushing defeat in the House for the GOP, and they also did poorly in the Senate, considering what an advantage they had in the election. It'll be the opposite in 2020, when a huge number of Republican senators will either be up for reelection, or the GOP will be defending Republican seats vacant due to retirements, etc. That's when we will take back the Senate, if the nation can survive two more years of trump. In my opinion.

No Worries and weakfromtoday like this.
  11. No Worries

A projected rout by Dems in the 2020 Senate elections opens the possibility of a Trump impeachment and removal.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But America will have the opportunity to vote him out in 2020.

Dems could see a perfect storm in 2020 like in 2008. If the economy were to start struggling a bit, look out.

13. No Worries

If Trump sees that he does not have the votes to survive, he will do a full Nixon and quit and get a full pardon from Pence.

If Trump stays, runs and loses the 2020 election, his ass is going to jail (hyperbole).

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It would if trump were reelected, but I don't think that is possible, unless there is massive voter fraud. If we were talking about the GOP I remember from the past, a political party that had more than a modicum of integrity and hadn't completely walked away from any hint of bipartisanship, with the nation's interests coming first, not the interests of their billionaire backers and the corrupt trump regime, I might agree. I hope I'm wrong and that if the Mueller investigation reveals the depth of both trump's corruption and his collusion with Russia to insure a "victory" in 2016, that the Republicans in the Senate rediscover their integrity and patriotism and, like Senate Republicans in the early '70's, work with Democrats to impeach and convict trump.

With this Senate being under McConnell, who couldn't find integrity if it were staring him in the face, I'm doubtful that that will happen. Under a New Democratic President, whoever that may be, and a Democratically controlled Senate and House, the FBI will be unleashed to find and prosecute those who either betrayed our country's democratic system, used their offices to line their pockets, or both. In my opinion. I'm looking forward to that.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm as ashamed of our current president as the next guy, Deckard. It will take years to undo the damage he has done here with the help of a full-time propaganda network and his Facebook-addicted base. It'll probably take longer to regain our position of leadership in the world. But, nobody thought it was possible that he'd win in the first place, yet here we are.

The electoral map is getting tough. I think we have to assume that Ohio is basically Missouri now. It's been moving rightward and, demographically, it's looking more and more like Trump country with every election cycle. Florida has also shown that it's more Republican than toss-up (although Democrats would be smart to register voters among the recently re-enfranchised and Puerto Ricans who moved there after Maria), so there is less margin for error. Arizona is in play after the election of Kyrsten Sinema. Here's my guess as to the electoral breakdown of 2020:
    [​IMG]

No Worries and Deckard like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A huge difference and why I'm confident of victory in the 2020 presidential campaign? We will win back Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin, and probably take North Carolina and Arizona, as well. In my opinion. I'm confident in PA , Michigan, and Wisconsin, and getting more confident in North Carolina and Arizona by the day. I feel the same way about Florida if we can get a fair election there, not a sure thing at all, unfortunately.

mtbrays likes this.
  17. No Worries

Nelson would have won if the Dems had not screwed the pooch on the ballot design in Broward County.

The Florida of ballot-design mistakes is...

The national Democratic Party should spin major resources in Florida ballot design in 2020.

18. No Worries

Here in NC, the Dems have done really well state wide in the last two major elections. Gerrymandering has allow the Reps to maintain control of the state houses and Congressional seats.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ballot design was fine. If voters are too ignorant to read the entire ballot .....

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, step back and think about what you are saying here for just a second. I get that they are Democrats, and you are saying this through the lens of a competitive election with "the other side" from you, but step back and think about it.

If we can arbitrarily strip "ignorant" people of their agency in the voting booth, what do you think will happen to your vote if I'm made voting commissioner?

If a single willing and eligible voter was not able to translate their intended vote into reality due to the interface, that's not "ok".

#920 Ottomaton, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    No Worries, NewRoxFan and R0ckets03 like this.