1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Microsoft Needs Your Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, May 25, 2000.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK...we may have a decision by Friday to split Billy into 3 parts. Microsoft needs your help in naming the new parts.

Assuming they keep Microsoft for the OS company, name these. My quick thinking names are to the right. They aren't that good. I expect more from cc.net!!

Billy needs your help!

Software Company = MinyMesoft
    Internet Company = AboutMesoft

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Software = Microsoft Beta
    Internet = iSoft

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Software: DOJ'sbrainsaresoft
    Internet: JRenocanbitemesoft

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Software=StolenfromSteveJobs
    MACS RULE!!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dean, then Apple could be called StolenFromXeroxSoft. [​IMG]

------------------
    ?

6. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

My sentiments exactly. Live by the sword die by the sword.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Well, Jobs and Gates could buy and sell all of us 10 times over so I doubt anyone loses on this one.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup, face it... everybody takes from everybody else. Interesting side note about Xerox, actually Xerox PARC, one of the premiere research centers in the world is how many computing inventions/discoveries were made there.

The first commercial GUI was implemented at Xerox PARC in their computer, the Alto. The original Mac OS, from what I remember, looked fairly similar to Alto. Many of the Xerox PARC employees eventually went to work for Apple. One of the most hilarious quotes I ever read in the computing industry was the following which is how Bill Gates responded to Steve Jobs, when Jobs tried to take Microsoft to court for "stealing" their GUI.

Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo"

LOL! And yes, I had to look that one up. [​IMG]

The early origins of the Ethernet networking protocol were developed there.

The first laser printer was invented at Xerox PARC.

It was at PARC that the mouse was modified into what you know of as a mouse today.

Think about how important those 4 inventions are to computing today. The GUI, the laser printer, Ethernet, and the modern-day mouse (even though PARC didn't invent it). Unreal. Xerox was just another one of those companies that had some of the greatest minds in the world, but didn't know how to market anything outside of their copiers. They put the big-wigs that were in charge of copiers in upper-level management positions while the geeks at PARC who had the "real inventions that could change the world" were left to playing with their toys. So instead of dominating the computing industry, the big-wigs said, "Hey, we don't think these personal computer thingies are gonna be as popular as stand-alone word processors, so we're gonna focus on word processors". The rest is history.

Sorry... a bit of geek nostalgia. I think I'm gonna shed a tear. *sniffle* [​IMG]

------------------
    ?

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited May 25, 2000).]

9. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I read a research report on Microsoft the other day and it said that it had 21 billion (yes, billion) in cash reserves. Not a bad rainy day fund.

------------------

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's no lie. I remember about 4 or 5 years ago they had $14 billion in reserves. That's pretty impressive for a company that probably "only" has $19 billion in revenues. To put that in perspective, IBM has about $90 billion in revenues, GM has about $190 billion (largest company in terms of revenue).

------------------
    ?

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This one's for you Pole! [​IMG]

Software:Stromthurmondaskswhatthehellsacomputersoft

Internet:Eliancanstaybuteveryoneelsemustgosoft

OK, not very funny.

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in mid-June, for now visit www.eesite.com)

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Doug Englebart

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.

Donate Blood!

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Mango,

ACK! You mentioned the name of the Computing Holy One. LOL! [​IMG]

It's sad Doug doesn't really ever get his due respect in terms of really being the father of modern-day computing. You hear about Gates, Jobs, etc., but this guy should be heralded higher by far than any of them.

------------------
    ?