1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by haoafu, Jun 4, 2012.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that may be a fair comparison of his upside, but I just don't see the same absolute freakish athleticism. MKG is a great athlete, but Marion was on another level. Marion also became a very competent shooter. MKG has time to do that, but it's no sure thing.

Either way, I just don't see him becoming the top dog for a team.

2. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

My dream scenario didn't work out.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/06/rookies-set-out-to-prove-rockets-didnt-need-trade/

Roughly two hours before the draft began, most talks had fallen through and left few chances to move up. But there was still a chance the Rockets could have worked a deal with the Kings had the draft gone differently.

That ended when the Bobcats chose Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with the second pick, assuring the Kings would get a player (Thomas Robinson) they wanted at that spot. The Rockets would have taken Kidd-Gilchrist had he slid to fifth.

“It seemed close,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said of his efforts to move up. “One of them came down to, if there was a guy there they didn’t want (that) we wanted, they would be open to making a move. That was an on-the-clock thing that fell apart.”

3. valorita

valorita Member

basically the only thing that is exceptional about MKG is his work ethic and desire to be great.

in the real world, i would bet on that type of guy 11/10 times if i'm hiring a person.

i guess that's what sold mj as well

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting. So Morey's target wasn't Drummond at 5 after all. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Well, depends on what you understand as 'target'. I said all along that just because Morey would trade for #5 to select Drummond, it didn't have to mean that he didn't like MKG, Beal and Robinson better.

If you read through Morey's comments it's quite obvious that he would have taken a chance on Drummond. He just liked MKG better and would have taken him over Drummond, had he fallen to #5. If Robinson had went #2, MKG #3 or #4, I have little doubt that Morey would have taken Drummond #5.

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I've thought this exact same thing for a while. The area's I can say MKG displayed a clear advantage was straight line speed, raw strength, and overall motor. The combination of those things does make him a much better prospect overall. Regardless, I don't think MKG is going to leave Parson that far behind in career production.

I've also made the comparison to Quincy Acy of Baylor, who went in the second round as well. I think their games are almost mirror images of each other. Just because one is listed at a SF, and the other a PF on paper, doesn't mean they are that different as players in reality. MKG has NOT displayed the ability to face up an break down defenders on the wing for open looks. Just assuming that he will be able to develop the handles, lateral speed, and stroke at this point is reckless.

It's not a coincidence that their evaluations are so similar. Anyone who has an opportunity to watch both would notice the striking similarities in their games. The positive/negative draft evaluations are the same, their measurables are the same, their stats in college were the same.

I'm not saying that Acy is the better player. MKG is 3 years younger, and he will likely develop a bit further because of this. The only thing I'm saying is that the disparity between the two is not as large as most want to believe. With the right type of PG, MKG could be a solid player. Especially in transition. On a team where nobody is any more capable of creating shots than he is, he is going to struggle.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

8. JD88

JD88 Member

Sorry for quoting myself. Had to do it.

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Seems like most people would be starting to backtrack at this point. If nothing else, you're certainly confident.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

He certainly didn't show much in pre-season.

11. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

In fairness, MKG is in as bad a situation for him as there could be.

I won't root for it to happen, but he very well could end up being a buy-low candidate down the road.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He was a great rebounder from the 3. He looks to be a good defender when he adjusts to NBA. Offense...you would be correct.