1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Carter Williams/James Ennis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Oct 2, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

They are proving Morey's theory that while valuable, 3ND players are also a dime a dozen so no need to overpay when he can get a comparable dude for vet min.

I'm on mobile so I can't get you the highlights but search on house of highlights youtube channel you can find MCW highlights.

Both these guys played great they brought a lot of energy MCW esp. seemed like he had something to prove. Should be nice as the 4th guard on the rotation which is what I would say except he is actually 5th guard lol, we still have Brandon Knight.

Ennis is somewhere between healthy Luc and separated shoulder Luc along with Green he should play 2/3/4 as our versatile players this year.

Overall I can definitely say the Rox look WAY BETTER this year than the last depth is insane and we also managed to become younger for some reason. Everyone who gave the Rox a C/D in the offseason is gonna take an L.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol Williams won't get a large role he is brought in as a 5-10 mpg guy he is just there to make up the numbers and give the team a defensive presence when Cp3 sits down.

We got Harden, Cp3, Gordon and Knight ahead of him he will be lucky to get PT every game.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Somewhere said that he was raised by a foursome.

Not the first defender with no shot either, Kidd-Gilchrist e.g.

4. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

MDA doing what he does best, Getting guys paid!!

Really wish we had team options on MCW and JE3 tho. Very likely that both will be making around 5-7 mil next season

snowconeman22, hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well tbh I think Rox are ready to be the next Spurs. They have been getting vet min/low picks and turning them into overhyped players which is what the Spurs did before. It's a culture thing, which bodes well for the Rox attracting talent moving forward.

Yes you are right we are likely to lose MCW and JE3, however I would worry more about keeping Melo before those two, thats why I wanted a trade instead of signing him for vet min we can't keep him on the team next year as we dnt have his bird rights unless he signs for vet min again.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I think you're probably right about occasional minutes. I do wonder if MCW will be behind Green on the depth chart. Not because I think MCW is necessarily better, but because I think the bottom of the rotation could use MCW's defense over Green's shooting. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

MCW is our version of the Warriors Livingston.

A long lanky PG who can't shoot from a distance, but who can defend.

I was critical of the signing, but last night Morey showed me whats up- MCW looks like he will be a great fit for us in a designed system to facilitate & utilize his strengths

8. bj3175

bj3175 Member

yep you gotta do what you gotta do

9. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

I don't expect MCW to play that well every night but for MCW/Ennis/Knight playing along side CP3/Harden in the game will do wonders.

MCW/Ennis both seem pretty good at slashing, pretty good finishers, and can dribble a little. Remember Ariza slashing? His finish and dribble was cringe, but having MCW/Ennis at the end of those slashing passes will be refreshing to watch. Hopefully they play well in those situations.

Still need to see how well Knight plays when he gets back but the dude was a starting PG in the NBA basically his whole career. So I don't worry about him playing back up PG minutes when CP3/Harden aren't on the court. Assuming CP3/Harden are playing during a game, then backup PG minutes (when neither CP3/Harden are on the court) to Knight/MCW probably wont be more than 10 mins.

Chriss will be dope because he can basically do what Capela does offensively. Having the options of Nene/Chriss (based on the match ups of course) sounds amazing.

Only part of all these new additions that worries me is the defense. Especially with Bzdelik gone. Switching scheme seemed to work with MCW/Ennis so hopefully that continues.

So excited for this year!

Ps. Im hoping Boogie's "back to the basket game doesn't" fit in well with the Warriors and they struggle. If they allow Boogie to get post ups and take his man one on one, thats fine too because that means Curry/Klay/KD aren't heating up from three. But yeah I know, that's just wishful thinking.

roslolian, Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS(and melo doing the same attacking the closeouts) will open up everything for harden and cp3

I predict we will have, not only the best offense in NBA history, but it will be convincingly and by far the best offense NBA has ever seen that will be the stuff of legends.

solodolo11, Y2JT and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was super excited to see all of these new signings look good in the first pre-season game too, but let's not forget Kelvin Cato and try to keep it in perspective.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I know, as the president of Abra you might be subjective but still who you have liked better, Cato or Ryan?

Williamson likes this.
  13. Williamson

Definitely Cato. He could get boards and blocks and that era where we played him and Yao side by side a little was kind of fun.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

#NewMath.....fwiw. ;)

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

You sure? MCW was the first free agent Morey met with, even though Bzdelik really wanted Ennis. Also from the very start D'antoni talked about playing him on the wing in different positions alongside Harden/Paul, if he was brought here to play a Bobby Brown role that wouldn't be an emphasis.

It looks to me like MCW was targeted from the beginning and Morey saw a role that would hide or improve on his weaknesses and highlight his strength. MCW never was a good offensive player, but he has been God awful in the last two years due to injury and lost of confidence. But even then he hasn't been a terrible overall player(despite what fans will tell you,he's just been below average) due to everything else he brings, particularly defense. Clifford is from the JVG, Thibs school of defensive coaches and played MCW over Malik Monk even though he shot 35%.

On the Rockets, MCW is their best perimeter defender, full stop. I said this awhile back you can look it up. I mean that really isn't a stretch, he is so terrible on offense and as a shooter, his defense has to be that good for him to even be playable. Morey didn't just forget how to measure scoring efficiency, so to bring on the least efficient player in the league, he has to be near elite in something else. That's also why after losing two defenders from last year, i see MCW ahead of Knight or even Green in the rotation. Especially if we are going to feature Carmelo, we need more defenders in the rotation not shooters who can't guard.

17. Williamson

I would love if MCW could be a poor man's Andre Roberson. That guy is seriously under-rated. If he hadn't been injured last year, I think he'd have been top 2 or 3 in the running for DPoY. And considering how nobody not named Westbrook is allowed to touch the ball in OKC he's absolutely perfect there. Steven Adams too. It's not surprising Melo didn't fit there.

hakeem94, CXbby and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Contract guys are going to play lights out. MCW 1st game with Rockets was just @#$@#@#$. Tillman says this is a better team than last year BELIEVE IT

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Cato was way overpaid though. The beauty of these guys, is cuts won't be pricey.

hakeem94 and Williamson like this.
  20. BackdoorHarden

MCW tearing up preseason. Mike D made a no talent and short person like Lin look like a god, imagine what Mike D can do with a talented player like MCW.

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.