1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Carter Williams/James Ennis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Oct 2, 2018.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

Anybody get highlights of their first game tonight? I haven’t seen much video of them tonight. I imagine they will be our next Mbah a Moute/Trevor Ariza.

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

looking like great pickups.... its only one preseason game, but I am really liking the potential of the rockets this year to be better than last year.

melo/ennis/MCW/Chriss >>>> ariza/luc

3. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Love them both after game one.

4. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

MCW looked like he can find a role on this team. He runs the court, slashes for layups, plays some defense, and some assists. Not sure how many points, maybe 19 or so. Ennis played well too, including defense, dunks, and a 3 pointer.

Even MChriss looked pretty good playing the 5 role. with 2 lobs. One thing crystal clear, these new guys are excellent athletes.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

MCW might end up being the best backup PG we had in years, not that this says much since we had Bobby Brown, Canaan, Briante Weber...but still, he was really solid today, i liked what i saw.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

They might not have the defensive experience and pedigree as Ariza/Luc,

but they are younger, longer and more athletic. It's nice to inject some young blood into our team. plus MCW can actually dribble twice without turning it over.

7. Nook

Nook Member

MCW is going to miss shots and on occasion be turnover prone. However he is perfect for the Rockets defensive switching system, can bring the ball up and get physical. He hasn’t been a good player in the league recently, but I wasn’t surprised the Rockets took a flier on him as he has some traits and skills that fit the Rockets well.

da_juice, TMac'n, Deuce and 20 others like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

MCW looks like our Livingston. We don't need him to shoot threes at all.

9. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Those new guys on that second team are "the greyhounds". MCW, Green, Ennis, Chriss. Run all day.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I was a fan of the all-dunk team we had late with Clark-Caboclo-Chriss-Green-MCW.

11. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Ennis has a track record of past production and skills he has shown that suggests he should fit well into the Rockets plan.

Williams is a wild card, hard to tell, players don't usually make drastic changes just like that at his age, but if he's given a pretty large role change the can minimize his weaknesses (don't let him do too much ball handling and decision making) and push him to his strengths (defensive instincts and length), it might allow for him to be useful as a player.

da_juice, Lawlruschang and D-rock like this.
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

You can tell it concerned Morey that Rose and Exum were able to get to the rim at will against us in the playoffs. A lot more length and athleticism in the second unit

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I share this sentiment, too -- both tall PGs who can fill other Wing roles....but can't shoot 3s.

They are equal ball-handlers, play-makers. MCW is better defender (very disruptive), while Livingston surely is the better 8-15' shooter...dude never seems to miss against us. MCW might be better at attacking the rim...too early to tell, though.

#13 heypartner, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    da_juice, bj3175, hakeem94 and 7 others like this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pat Bev only been gone for a year and he's already forgotten. Granted he was in the starting line up, I would argue that he was a back up pg to da beard

hakeem94 and GotGame15 like this.
  15. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Probably shouldn't shoot at all unless it is FT's, lol. Livingston is reliable and efficient from mid-range and posting up, MCW can skip those. It's not that easy to get a guy who has been playing like him his whole career to basically become a very different player though.

gah, DreamShook and DonKnock like this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I get what you're saying and i love Pat but yeah, he was a starter so...

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

And we still haven't seen Knight yet. Drooling at all this depth.

Raider17, roslolian, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Bev is classified as a PG because he is shorter than everyone else. He wasn't a great playmaker or passer when he was with the Rockets. Terry actually came in to be the backup PG when Bev was still on the court. MCW can at least give you some decision making, ball handling some passing the small amount of time CP3 or Harden isn't in the game.

BMoney and hakeem94 like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why does Michael get two last names - is he French or something?

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

No videos but a couple notes on each from my perspective.

Ennis looked to be trying to hard. Not a bad thing, his energy and effort was very welcomed but he needs to learn and adapt that new "free movement" rule or whatever it is called because it caused him a lot of foul teou le and ultimately fouled him out.

That's his one concern. His desire to be overly handsy. His defense looked good tho and again loved the energy.

MCW showed flashes of why he won Roy. He can pass, he can slash, he can defend with good length. He did a good job of trailing james when he drove for either a back pass or the rebound.

That's a good niche for him. If hes spotting up, his defender is going to say the lane and double harden on his drive and him chasing behind is a good role for him to be effective.

His passing and vision looked pretty decent. Not being the main facilitator but rather the secondary guy could be another small but successful niche for him. Mock

Defense was rather solid, switched well. I think we will be surprised by his contributions.

As for chriss, well he showed what made him a high draft choice. If he spent the past 3 years doing the capela role he would be thought of a lot higher.

His picks left a lot to be desired but his rolls seemed good. His switching was ok, he gave up way too much space on the perimeter to shooters. but looked fluid when engaged on perimeter defense sliding his feet.

IQ seemed low but length and athleticism made some plays. Has a ways to go to carve out a meaningful role but the potential is there if he could somehow become a quick learner which I doubt.

#20 BigMaloe, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018