1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami Herald: Yao falling short of dominance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Falling short of dominance

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10770763.htm?1c

Yao Ming entered the NBA amid expectations as towering as his 7-5 stature, but three years later, he isn't close to rivaling Shaq or other top centers.

BY ISRAEL GUTIERREZ

igutierrez@herald.com

This isn't where Yao Ming was pictured to be by Year 3, staring up at the chest and chin of Stromile Swift, two hands and a basketball about to come down on him with ferocity, wearing a helpless expression to which only Shawn Bradley can relate.

Instead it is Yao's picture, the snapshot of him most memorable in this his third NBA season, getting dunked on against the Memphis Grizzlies, his right hand in the air and eyes half closed hoping cameras don't capture this exact moment.

By now it was expected Yao would be on the victimizing end of this image more often. More Shaquille O'Neal, less Michael Olowokandi.

He was the No. 1 pick as a 7-5, 21-year-old out of China, immediately considered the nearest competition to O'Neal in the pivot since David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing were in their prime.

Instead, the 24-year-old is finding himself shrugging off incidents like this more often than he would like, fighting off defenders in the paint with less success than a man his size should and walking slouched to the bench with more fouls than points far too frequently.

Still, he is a long way from a failure. Pro scouts search the world daily for big men who can contribute 18 points, eight rebounds and 52 percent shooting nightly.

It's just that he is further from dominant than everyone wanted him to be by now. And, although his matchups with O'Neal still are highly anticipated -- as they will this afternoon at 1 at AmericanAirlines Arena -- Yao is not really considered a true rival to O'Neal.

If this is as good as Yao gets, there can't help but be a sense of disappointment.

''I think people overreacted to maybe a little success and expected a constant upward tick in growth with no down times,'' Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy said of his center. ``I don't think that's realistic. You just want to continue to work, improve, try to figure it out.''

In trying to figure out Yao, theories range from the most simple of movements to the most vague of concepts. If he bends his knees more often, will he really increase his ability to dominate? Is it a basic sense for the game that is missing? Does he need to gain strength to better assert himself in a crowded block? Or is a mean streak missing from the mild-mannered Yao?

The answers from his peers and basketball experts: Yes, yes, yes and yes.

''Just watching them out there, he loses his balance so easy,'' one Eastern Conference scout said. ``He's trying to back up on his guy and he falls over. He's kind of a rag doll out there sometimes. Sometimes his sense of the game, the feel, I think lacks.

``I know they're knocking on him because he doesn't play with a lot of tenacity. It seems like you see that a little bit more in the American game.''

HEIGHT ISN'T HELPING

Yao has found that a half-foot advantage on most of his competitors means nothing if he can't stand up. It's a lesson even the most undersized defenders have taught him. Despite surrendering eight inches to Yao, former Heat center Brian Grant limited Yao's effectiveness by maintaining leverage against the player. Yao often found himself motioning to officials for help and checking his body for bruises more often than he would find himself scoring.

''He has to be more physical,'' Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal said of Yao. ``Yao has tremendous, tremendous ability to take over games, and obviously in three years he hasn't quite gotten that demeanor yet.''

``. . . Sometimes in the games when he gets upset, he takes guys, catches them deep and just dunks the ball. He has to have that mentality for 48 minutes while he's out there.''

Pete Newell, a renowned mentor of pivot players, said he has noticed a nastiness in Yao that wasn't there two seasons ago, which he considers critical to his improvement. But it takes more than anger, Newell said, for Yao to establish himself in the post.

''I think he's got to learn to play the game lower,'' Newell said. ``They don't move him much. Somebody like Yao, they can bump him because he stays high too much and they can get him off balance.''

Once he can establish himself, the next trick is getting him the ball. Not getting Yao the ball partially was what had Van Gundy less than enamored with Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, each of whom has been traded from Houston within the past year. His numbers were supposed to experience a sudden rise with Tracy McGrady as his new partner on the perimeter, but they've remained relatively status quo.

''One of the things I just don't know is if they run enough offense for him in terms of spacing,'' Newell said. ``All these centers, even a Shaq, he needs his space in there, and he can't have it if the defense is just standing around.''

In his first year with the Rockets and having taken over as the team's starting point guard, Bob Sura is finding that Francis' old job of getting Yao the ball isn't as simple as it sounds.

''No, it's not,'' Sura said. ``Yao draws a lot of attention down there. Guys are trying to keep the ball out of his hands, so you've got two or three guys hanging around him, so it's very difficult. But this year we've got another great player in Tracy that can take a little heat off him and make it easier.''

BEING BULLIED

Even with the ball, though, Yao tends to lack authority. Often his shot of choice is an effective jump hook or turnaround jumper, but he can still be bullied into missing the easiest of shots and rarely gets to the rim with force.

''I think he's too slow and mechanical,'' Hall of Fame coach and TV analyst Jack Ramsay said. ``He's got to become more definitive in what he wants to do, do it quicker, take good position, catch it and go to work.''

But can slow and mechanical ever be fixed?

''Yeah, it can,'' Ramsay said. ``I think he's thinking about it instead of reacting. It could be part of the process, but I don't see a huge improvement in him from his rookie year. I thought after his rookie year he'd be light years ahead of where he is now.''

There's a consensus that Yao should be more of a presence defensively in particular. Even Bradley, a 7-6 toothpick of a man who never averaged any more than 15 points or nine rebounds in his career, was blocking at least three shots a game through each of his first four seasons. Yao has yet to average two blocks a game, and this season is averaging just 1.86 swats a contest.

OTHER COMMITMENTS

No one, however, is blaming Yao's slow development on a lack of desire. The two-time All-Star has worked tirelessly with former great Ewing, a Rockets assistant.

But that work has been restricted to in-season training because of Yao's commitments to the Chinese national team during the past two summers. And in-season training limits the type of work Rockets strength and conditioning coach Anthony Falsone would like Yao to do.

Yao has managed to gain about 15 pounds since entering the league (up to about 315) despite the limitations, and he has gained upper body strength to match his natural lower-body power.

''I am concerned about his foot speed, I'm concerned about his leaping ability because he has never had to use that before,'' Falsone said. ``Playing in China, he's the tallest guy by far, so coming up to when he was about 20 years old, he never had to really jump. Now in the NBA, you're faced with tremendous athletes, and Yao is not the greatest leaper in the world. Great leg strength doesn't necessarily make you a great jumper.''

His physical challenges don't stop there. Falsone said Yao has a cardiovascular system that doesn't respond very well, a problem Olajuwon also faced, causing him to lose conditioning and fatigue relatively quickly.

Falsone traveled to China with Yao and trained the Chinese National Team to help Yao's conditioning. Although Falsone said Yao has improved his durability, the center is averaging just 31.5 minutes a game, partially because of fouls, but in some measure because of fatigue.

Without an Olympics or World Championships to prepare for this offseason, the Rockets might have more time to work with Yao this summer, which could make for a marked improvement next season.

Any improvement would be welcome. Because this isn't supposed to be the best of Yao Ming. There has to be a better picture by which to remember him.

''I would hope he's got a much higher level than this,'' Ramsay said. ``I'd be very disappointed if I were he or if I were his coach if this is as good as he's going to get.

``I thought when he was a rookie he would improve a lot. Now, I don't know.''

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

FAOS, good article find. I think it is a pretty fair assesment on Yao.

We have heard this many times and I think it is key. We have seen times where Yao gets embarrised and then he gets angry (like the Hulk? :D ) and THEN he becomes extra physical and more determined. The problem is "sustaining" that energy and that attitude. I think he is improving on it. I think it is constantly a battle of wills between the type of demenor we want Yao to have and all he has learned throughout his life during his upbringing. It is something we just cant undo over night.

It is tough, but we have to be patient.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

There's a quote for the Sura haters.

I think we need to send Yao to Newell's Big Man Camp this year. Does that thing still exist?

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

totallly agree Deuce...

this is progbably one of the fairer articlea I have read that discusses Yao not quite being there yet.

a marked difference between this one and the other one we saw a couple of days ago talking about Yao v Shaq...seems like this writer took the time to really look it over and find some quotes from ppl you can at least respect a bit.(Newell particularly)

cant really argue with most of this...

and matter of fact...it details a few things that was only hinted at before.....cardiovascular problems especially....

but on tha bright side....most of his problems can be overcome withthe desire to fix his game and some time...lets hope they can find some time this offseason to get some good training in...

I really think it would do wonders.....bu the single biggest improvement will come when he gets the idea into his head that he has to play mad if he is to play great consistently.

I got faith tho...and patience ;)

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The good thing is Yao usually brings his "A" game against Shaq. I'd expect McGrady to have a big game too.

7. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Sura made a good point. But I still think Yao doesn't have
    the respect and trust from his teammates, and rightfully so
    most times. He often plays soft and uninspired, and whenever
    I see that, my first reaction is a hard kick on his ass if possible.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

screw that
    we all know that Francis and Cat
    just never passed it to yao
    so
    That means . . Sura is doing the same thing

Rocket River
    [/sarcasm]

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I think these quotes pretty much sum Yao up pretty well, especially Ramsay stating that Yao is thinking too much intead of just playing. I'll keep saying this. Yao is a 18/8 player at only 24 yrs. old, with minimul shot attempts and minutes, and still hasn't fullly adjusted to the NBA. Think about how good he could be when it all comes together and he finally 'gets it'.

10. forebay

forebay Member

when all are said and done, it all boils down to how Yao can lean to say NO to his chinese basketball 'obligations' and dedicate himself to real training in the summers.

As long as he is dragging himself between the two continents every year, I do not think he has much room of improvement.

Last year there was a poster with a infamous post 'has yao peaked' which drew him lot of bashing, but now I kind of agree with him.

Unless yao mentally develop the mean streak and screw his chinese national team 'duty', we might indeed be seeing the best of yao already.

11. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Great article. The challenges facing Yao's development are numerous but many can probably be remedied if he just gets a summer off. The man is exhausted and I'd imagine it's more difficult to get psyched up for every game if you are playing non-stop for 4 years. Still, that competitive fire is lacking although hopefully that little nasty streak of his the article mentioned will become all consuming.

12. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I think the part where Falsone is talking about how Yao has never had to use his height before is very interesting. I thought about this a while back as well. There are so many times that Yao gets the ball right at the basket that he just wants to practically drop the ball in, but a player leaps up and swats it. I'm sure, after years and years of being so much taller than anyone in China, that his mind is still used to that fact. It's like playing basketball against my little brother. For years and years, I never really had to play my hardest to beat him and certainly never worried about him blocking a shot. But, once he got older, and better, and grew to be my height; It took me a long time to shake my mindset of not having to play my hardest to beat him. Yao has to re-teach his mind to use this height as an advantage around the basket.

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I completely disagree. I think experience in the NBA will lead to better instincts, things that will help him down the road. He's only played 2 1/2 years of basketball against quality opponents and, for the most part, held his own. He hasn't live up the hype that some put on him. He also hasn't been the bust that others predicted (ie: Dick Vitale's Larue Martin comparison).

14. mulletman

mulletman Member

seems like everyone is dumping on yao the last few weeks. all these articles about yao not being what they thought he would be. who amongst national writers predicted him to be a superstar? when he was drafted, everyone in the country outside of houston predicted him to be a bust. thats why i dont get these articles.

its very much like his rookie year right now, when everyone was quick to criticize him...

15. Charvo

Charvo Member

Herschel Walker

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is a pretty good article. The Rockets should hire Pete Newell to individually train Yao for a year - I doubt he would do it, but it would help so much.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think Newell's around 80 years old. He ain't takin' a job from nobody.

This is the best article on Yao this season. He's entering the most difficult stage of his career now-- he's on everyone's gameplan to stop each night, and everyone knows the best way to accomplish that. Front him, push him around, strip him and generally harrass him.

It's telling in this article that not one expert says, "They should stick him in the high post." That would be a great option if we decide to conclude that Yao will never be able to dominate. Essentially, we could stick him at the elbow and have ourselves a better-passing Juwon Howard. He'd score, but he'd never be a force.

No, all that can be done is to keep relentlessly working at it until Yao either breaks through or breaks down. I have faith in Yao and I think he'll eventually rise to the level of competition he's facing. He may never be a superstar, but I think he will improve. Already his rebounding is beginning to come around.

18. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Nothing new, that's how media works. With every good players, singer, actor, politician etc. Every single thing they covered. They hype you to death when you are arising, but they dumping you to death while you are droping. It's your call to use that as your energy to shut them up.

19. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

The fire JVG roar seems to have died down for now, but interesting question ( I have so few answers) how would other coaches (including ewing-type big men coaches) use Yao differently, use Tmac and the rest of this team differently, build this team differently from the point that JVG came in to what Rudy and CD left him?

I know I just made it very complex, but guess what? It is very complex....

gotta go to work

20. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Did anyone see the pre game show with Bill Walton--

He said that Yao has NEVER had good coaching...that .he needs to stop thinking too much on the court , he needs to be more selfish etc,....

He also said the Rockets desperately need a better power forward, and point guard

Likes Stan Van Gundy better than Jeff because he is more positive...

Thinks the Rockets would be the perfect team for Phil Jackson....

Nothing really new, the same stuff that gets posted here all the time....