1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami Heat fire sale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RobKsports, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

According to Zach Lowe, the Miami Heat are ready to go into full rebuild mode and have made every player on their roster available for the right price.

I know the first player that comes to mind is Whiteside, and he has great stats. He's also the defensive-minded center the Rockets are looking for. But I don't think the Rockets have the assets to acquire him.

I really like Tyler Johnson, but his back-loaded salary goes through the roof in 2 years. I wouldn't want to invest 20% of the cap in him.

Dragic is making $20 million a year, so no to him.

Justise Winslow is nice (and from Houston). There's trade potential there, and he'd be the #1 player I'd target, but I think he's probably the one player the Heat deem as untouchable.

I was thinking Willie Reed. Defensive-minded center, and has learned how to score a little after all those years in the D-League.

He's been solid for them this year: 14 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks a game in 4 games as a starter this season.

Super-cheap contract, and would probably only cost one of our 2nd round picks. Thoughts?

2. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I've only seen Reed play in one game, but he seems like a pretty good rebounder and finisher off lobs, so James can probably make him look really good

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

He probably wouldn't need many minutes too, although I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him if he's young and cheap

4. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I would take Willie reed and James Johnson

Jatman20 and vtjsr2 like this.
  5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Oh my god this is the 400th thread you've posted, none of which have been anything different than the last. Random trade idea after another.

We

Have

A

Thread

For

This

6. Nook

Nook Member

It is hard to get a good trade fit with the Heat at this point. Dragic and Whiteside both are players that I am sure the Rockets would love to have. The problem is getting salaries to match would be difficult and even then would likely cost the Rockets Ariza or Anderson and I don't think the Rockets would mess with the chemistry of a team likely to win 55-60 games this season. Dragic would be an excellent fit though, could handle all point guard minutes when Harden is on the bench and the Rockets could run him in a three guard set.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

This isn't a random trade idea. It's discussing the current story going around the NBA of the Miami Heat selling off their roster.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Isn't the point of a firesale to jettison bad contracts and pick up good future draft picks or young players with potential?

Why would the Heat trade Willie Reed for a second round pick?? He makes under a million dollars, they have a team option for next year, he's young enough at 26, and has already proven he's better than 95% of second round picks will ever be.

I'd strongly consider Tyler Johnson. Because of his back-loaded contract the Heat might move him for less value in return. For the Rockets, you;d still get the benefit of 1.5 years of Johnson at that low $5 million salary as opposed to just being the schmuck to pick up the higher $ years (cough, cough... Pelican, Asik). Most importantly, as to his game... he's on his third year in a row shooting threes at 37% or better and is doing it now in volume. He can handle the ball if necessary and do spot "PG" duties. He tries defensively, he's only 24. I think he's the type that would see a numbers boost in an MDA offense.

I'd consider something like:
    Brewer, KJ, Onuaku, Wiltjer, this year's first (it's going to be way down in the late 20s)
    for
    Tyler Johnson and Udonis Haslem

Haslem's on the last year of his $4 million deal. You'd be getting rid of $9.3 million of guaranteed salary next year, plus the first rounder which has a salary cap hold, and taking on Johnson's $5.8 million, so net $3.5 million of additional cap space. The downside is that you'd like to get rid of that cap space for no guaranteed money next year, in the off chance you really do have a shot at someone like a Gordon Hayward - you want as much of that cap space as you can get. Why does Miami do it? To move Johnson's backloaded contract that gets huge, and get the upside potential ofthe young guys and draft pick.

At the end of the day, I don't think DM is going to find any moves that move the needle enough for him to sacrifice cap space. Even something like the above. I think he'd still rather roll the dice that having near max cap room with a 55+ win team would be enticing enough for a Tier 1 or 2 FA... so I suspect any Rockets trades this year will be around the margins and/or involve full cap relief this offseason from contracts like Brewer's.

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Then even worse, its in the GARM instead of the DISH, numbnuts. Stop clogging the GARM with unnecessary BS and read thread titles for once. Every thread you've made belongs in a pre-existing thread.

/thread

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Tyler Johnson would be a good insurance policy and minute reducer for our best 2 players. Less than 6 million per year.

Josh McRoberts also makes a lot of sense. He's a big that can stretch the floor, pass, get a few rebounds etc.. we need something to spell these big men.

ACL1 likes this.
  11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

He got paid 4yr 50m last offseason.

12. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

Can you direct me to the previous thread discussing the Miami Heat firesale, because I don't see one. I do however see a thread discussing Paul Millsap, so I dont see the difference between that and this. Relax a little Mr. Officer.

#12 RobKsports, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  13. don grahamleone

As far as getting a deal done, I think you make it on his 5.6 million dollar contract. Is he worth 12.5 (going forward) to a team that has depth issues at the 2? Maybe.

14. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

This year and next year are very cap-friendly, but then I believe his salary jumps to $20M a year for the next two. Very risky tying yourself down to that much cap on one player.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

I am a big fan of him though. I wanted the Rockets to sign him to a 3-30 before they got EG.

16. don grahamleone

I see what you're saying, but if we believe in the basic structure of how we're built, we would really only need one point, one more 2 guard and a center. We could fill a gap pretty quickly with Tyler (after Jan 15th that is).

17. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

True. Like I said, I am a big fan of him. Started watching tape on him in the offseason when it was reported that the Rockets were interested. Very good defender, super athletic, and can shoot the 3 ball. I just see Daryl being wary of that backload, maybe he could restructure his contract.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly I wouldn't mind James Johnson. He is insane, but he defends well, can play 3 spots, can block shots, get steals, etc.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He'd cost MORE.

20. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I go with Whiteside.
    In our system he can turn a star in ofense
    Plues great defensive presens.
    Capela + a 1st + fillers
    I'm in.

Pen15clubber likes this.