1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Miami Heat 72Games"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Steve, Aug 8, 2000.

1. Steve

Steve Member

If the heat can pull down this trade for Brian Grant there lineup would be:

1)hardaway
    2)Eddie JOnes
    3)they will come up with someone for 2.5mill
    4)Brian Grant
    5)Zo mourning

i beleive they will be racked and there bench wooooaaa and with the best coach in the league, and the best D i think not only willl they make it to the FINALS but L.A. watch out ... and also i beleive they could beat CHICAGOS record for 72 games>>>>

------------------
    "And Raul missess the Penalty in the 89th minute of the Euro2000 and Spain is sadend again" by Spanish Fan

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm still not sold this is as great a team as some people make it out to be. They have an aging PG with deteriorating skills in Hardaway, a troublesome starting SF in Anthony Mason, little depth, and they also don't have Grant at this point either. They are probably the favorites of the East, and deservedly so. But I think it is definitely premature to start saying they'll win 72 games, because I still would rank the Spurs, Lakers, and Blazers ahead of them.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Third Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000971.html

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Miami has decent depth. Their depth card, if they were to sign Grant, looks like this:

Mourning/Ernest Brown
    Grant/Gatling
    Mason/Ricky Davis
    Jones/Marjele
    Hardaway/Carter

Also on the roster are Dale Ellis, Eddie House, Clarence Weatherspoon, and Bruce Bowen

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

4. The Cat

True- I forgot about Ernest Brown and Ricky Davis- they do help a lot, esp. since Miami did not have any type of backup C last year. Even with that depth chart, I'm still not sold on that team being up there with the Spurs, Lakers, or Blazers. They are in all likelihood the most talented team in the East, but I don't think they are to the level of the big 3 in the West.

------------------

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Third Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000971.html

5. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Ric Beucher of NBA Today on ESPN just reported that it looks like Brian Grant will end up in Miami one way or another whether it be through a sign-and-trade or Grant signing on for the exception. Beucher talked to Grant's agent, Mark Bartelstein, and he has the impression that Miami is Brian's choice now. Take this for what you will.

------------------

[This message has been edited by countingcrow (edited August 08, 2000).]

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Have u been hanging around SirHangover? 72 games my ass! Timmy is aging and is just a shell of his former self. Zo and Grant are not the second coming of Jordan and umm... Rodman. If Anthony can restrain himself from all the 14 year olds in South Beach (and thats a big IF), they might win 60-63 games. Also Eddie has never done anything in the playoffs, so I dont know why we could just assume he will kick ass in the playoffs this year.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

7. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Steve,
    Before you go and predict Miami will win 72 games. Remember one thing. They still have to prove to EVERYONE including themselves that they can beat the Knicks in the playoff's. That is a big hurdle Miami must overcome.

The East is so weak. Miami always has a great regular season record. So regular seasons win's mean nothing to me if I'm a Heat fan. It is the playoffs where they have to prove themselves.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well they could win 72 games and still fall to the Knicks in the playoffs. One thing isn't necessarily connected to the other.

------------------
    www.houstonsportsboard.com

9. Steve

Steve Member

first of all you alll forgot about that even if they get GRANT they also have a 2.5$million exception..

And the reason they couldnt beat the knicks was because they had a worst team and the diff . bettwwen the two series were for about 4pts so now with a much betta team that difference goes to miami by alot.

Also i dont beleive timmy will go down again and even if he goes i beleive Anthony could do the job...

------------------
    "And Raul missess the Penalty in the 89th minute of the Euro2000 and Spain is sadend again" by Spanish Fan

10. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I say 65 games, it's clear the Heat will dominate the east but their matchups against the Spurs and Lakers will be a true test. One interesting date is November 18th when Miami plays Portland.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

11. Steve_Francis_rules

Miami is my favorite team in the east, and i hope they do well, but there is no way that they could win 72 games. Hardaway will miss half this season anyway.

------------------

12. The Cat

There's no way a player for the 2.25M exception will make such a big difference. The free agent crop left now isn't all that good, and I seriously doubt that they pick up anyone worth noting. As for the comment on the Knicks, you can't just look at some numbers and say "we improved our team and they only beat us by blank so...". Until Miami beats NY, the Knicks are always going to be at a psychological advantage over Miami, and in the NBA confidence is a very important thing to have. Miami is definitely the favorites in the East, but that does not guarantee them of getting by the Knicks, especially looking at what's happened in recent years.

------------------

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Quarterfinals)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000978.html