1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meyers Leonard Analysis

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Rock MVP, May 5, 2012.

1. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

So, Over the years I have realized that clutchfans builds steam about a player and think he is going to be awesome and the love just grows and grows. Most of this is due to the fact that a few frequent posters like him and than everyone sees his name and the snowball begins to grow. My friend and I essentially are starting a blog site about basketball and I took on college basketball. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. I watched a lot of college basketball and this needs to be said.

Honestly, this guy is going to be a bust. I am calling him a bust because his length and size will move him up in the lottery, but he will never be able to use that length and size to be a force on the defensive end due to his unathleticism. Also, he is around 245 lbs and still doesn't back people up into the post on offense.

Strengths:
    - Great passer - He isn't as good of a passer as Chris Webber or maybe Kevin Love since some think Love is a good passer. This is arguably his best quality. Illinois used him at the Mid-block and then he would dish out to the slasher and the shooters. With the right coach, he can use this well, but in college, alot of teams play zone and that space is created. Plus, players will start pressuring him in the NBA right when he touches the ball. This quality is tough to translate for a big man.

- Soft Touch - If he can gain mass and back up his guy, he will do his hook or drop in to score. He can also shoot as an average shooter. Overall, this is always a positive for big men for their first few years since rookie big guys get pushed around.

- Raw/Average Shot blocker - he averaged 1.9 blocks a game.... I'm not impressed. The guy is 7'1, but the fact that he does help on weakside drives and rebounds at a decent rate is what is expected at his height. He doesn't box out well because he relies on his height too much, but that is teachable.

Weaknesses:
    - Unathletic - He is deceptively unathletic. Watch the highlight films and you will see. He doesn't jump for rebounds like Faried or Nene. He barely gets off the ground. Even when he comes weakside for the block, he barely gets off the ground. His dribbling and first step is so incredibly slow compared to NBA teams that he will never get into a groove. In the new age of big men, you have to be athletic or skilled on offense to succeed.

- Weakness/Soft - I don't know if this is how he plays or he just hasn't gained mass yet, but he will get a rebound and not go up for power like you would expect a 7 footer. He is a finesse guy when it comes to that. He will dunk. Don't get me wrong, but look at multiple films on the guy, he is a soft center. He gets pushed around alot even at the college level

- Offensive Liability his first 2 years - He has no go to move. His one dribble, 2 step toss to the rim will not work in the NBA since big strong centers like Perkins will just push him out of the paint. His footwork is average at best in the post.

If you still love leonard, fine, but just study the guy before you proclaim him as the guy you want in the draft. I'm not a fan of Lamb, but if he falls to you...you take him over leonard. Andre Drummond didn't do anything at UCONN and I feel the same about him as I do Leonard except the unathletic part.

1 person likes this.
  2. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Worst Case: (most probable) Cole Aldrich
    Best Case: Young Camby

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I like the Cole Aldrich comparison, that's where I see him ending up. Backup C and that's it. People here don't know a bit about college ball but label people stars or busts, it's retarted. The group love caused by mouth propaganda is terrible, see Leonard, Rivers, Henson.

4. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I think Henson has the tools to be good, but he has to (and I mean this is a must to succeed in the NBA)...

1. Gain mass. He needs to add at least 25 lbs on his frame or he will get outrebounded and outmuscled.

2. He needs to be a better rebounder because he does not have the strength to be a 5. He must transition to the 4 spot.

3. In college, he relied on his athleticism and length to block shots on the weakside. NBA guards are faster and smarter with their shots. He needs to work on his IQ on defense to do so.

Otherwise, he is a better bet than Loenard though since he has a better offensive game already

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I find it funny how people on here think because someone isn't ready to be star at the age of 19/20 then he's not any good.

He's a 7 footer with potential, we would be stupid not to take home if he's availible

6. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Honestly, I never said that he isn't ready to be a star. The answer to that is he IS NOT. I simply just stated that I don't think will EVER become a star which I stated was my opinion. That is the beauty of potential...everyone has their own opinion as to how it works out.

Another aspect of potential is the definition of potential....

Leonard's potential is based on size and height.

Perry Jones III, Quincy Miller, Austin Rivers....now their potential is based on actual raw skill and tremendous athleticism.

As an NBA exec, you can't draft players based on potential if you do not have tangible evidence that they will pan out.
    Example 1: Dwight Howard was a man beast and very very raw. He already showed flashes on defense in HS. He was NBA ready for size and mass. Leonard is none of those things.

Example 2: Andre Drummond who I am not a fan of, but is NBA built already for size and mass. He is super athletic and has potential if trained properly. Leonard is none of those things.

Example 3: Tmac who was raw, skinny, athletic, but could score at will. He was already more skilled with the ball on offense than Leonard is now and had NBA speed and leaping ability. NOTHING ABOUT LEONARD says he has anything the is already NBA ready

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The funny thing is how people on here somehow think Leonard and Rivers are the only good players from 10-30 range while not even knowing the other guys. It seems people just checked the size chart and he was the first one to pop up after top 10, so they assumed he's the real deal for us.

8. allanivan

allanivan Member

Dude, great analysis, u need to do a couple more for potential rockets draft choices. I don't follow college ball that much. So, how about Austin rivers and jeremy LAmb compairing? Who is better. Is pj3 worth enough for rockets to move to 10-11 to get him? Is Quincy miller the next durant? Also, Drummond is probably around 5-6, is he worth it for rockets to trade klow for? What do u think about marquis Teague ? I like Jeff Teague a lot. Who do you think rockets should draft if they pick at14 and 16 without any change?

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

The next...
    [​IMG]

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How can you be a young Camby and not play defense?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Many people get caught up in what the experts say and believe everything that they say. Little do they know, experts have been wrong many times before.

12. what

what Member

I can't remember the last time a passing center completely busted. Ya'll would be foolish not to give him a look.

Marc Gasol dropped to the second round because he was labeled as unatheltic. Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert dropped for similar reasons.

The reality is that very few centers look like a sexy pick in college but a lot of those players turn into really good players.

Something to consider: Marc Gasol is really not a great offensive player, but he has low post moves. Marc is also not a great defensive player, but he is good. The only thing Marc is elite at is passing and that skill alone has allowed the grizzlies to run their offense through him.

If Myers Leonard can get a descent low post move, he can be a guy you can run an offense through as his passing is elite.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Plus Camby had huge athleticsm when he came into the league. People link Davis to a young Camby.

14. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

So initially, I wanted to say Kevin Love because Love isn't known for being massive. Love was also a great passer, but Love was a great shooter in college as well.

Leonard averages about 2 blocks a game and about 8.5 boards a game. When I say best case, I am assuming he pans out and his potential is fully utilized. I don't see him being a force on offense even with the potential since his slow foot work (very important for big guys) slow it down. He can however develop into a defense guy.

Honestly Young Camby is his ceiling. It is like people saying Gerald Green is the next Tmac. That is his ceiling

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

There is only one player who is like Camby in the first round but not in the lotto. That is Fab Melo.

16. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Good Point. Here are my counters.

Marc Gasol played against better competition as an international star. Gasol has low post moves, but if you listen to NBA players talk about him....he is an OX in the patient. He takes up space and uses his body well.
    - Leonard is softer and gets pushed around due to his LACK of strength.

Brook Lopez isn't a passing center. Sorry. Hibbert and Lopez in the same sentence is a little weird since Hibbert has the size and athleticism to be a dominant force in the paint. Leonard has one of those qualities. Lopez has size, but is softer like Leonard. He relies on his post move skills. Lopez coming out of college was regarded as highly developed in terms of post moves and a mid range jumper.

Problem with Lopez is he plays No defense and rebounds at a terrible terrible rate for his size. At 7'1, Leonard should be a double digit rebounder on a small Illini team.

17. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Ok I can give you that. Remember that Camby developed a solid get the ball in post, turn around, then pop jumper

He also had a mid range. I just don't see Melo making the effort to develop that portion of his game. THat doesn't mean he won't

18. what

what Member

The thing I was saying about Lopez is that prior to the draft he was considered a top 5 pick. But after the nba combine, when people saw how unathletic he was, he dropped to 10th.

Point is: lack of athletic ability should never be a consideration when evaluating centers. Strength should. Strength in the post, footwork and low post moves, their range.

Lenoard has range and footwork. As far as strength, he can always get stronger; that is desire more than anything. Does he have the will to bang in the paint? Who knows.

19. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Range is questionable. Can he hit that mid range shot? He has in college, but not consistently like other players. His footwork is at best below average. I do agree with everything else, but Lopez was much more of an advanced player when he was drafted as a Sophmore than Leonard is now. Go back and compare and you will see. Good points though

20. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

I love when experts say John henson must gain weight or he will get killed in the nba, yet say nothing about Anthony Davis and his rail thin frame..

Anyways my theory has always been there are more white center busts than there are guys that make it.. Most good white nba level guys are sg, sf, and PF.. But at the center spot they always end up finding the backup role for whatever reason.. I'm not saying 100% always, but definitely more busts than successes..