1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mexico]Best places to visit during Nov/Dec

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lady_Di, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

About time, I can start a tread! YAY!

I am planning my vacation for Nov/Dec. I was wondering if places such as Acapulco or Cancun would be good for those winter months. Have anyone been there during Nov or Dec? I would want to go somewhere that is warm enough to swim!

Any suggestions?

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Seriusly, Fly to Cancun stay for a few days and take a flight to La Habana, Cuba. That's my planed next vacation. They don't stamp your passport so you won't get in trouble with the FEDS. Everyone should see Cuba before McDonalds gets there.

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Go Mexican Riviera. Cabo and La Paz are gorgeous during the wintertime.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Apparently the temperature averages around 80-85 in November, and around 80 in December. The water is cooler then as well. Unless you're under 23yrs old, I'd stay away from Cancun. It's just like Miami, lots of Chain restaraunts and very touristy. We prefer Playa Del Carmen, about 45min south of Cancun. It gets a lot of tourists as well, but it at least has a much smaller town atmosphere, but has a LOT of non-chain places to eat and shop. Some of the resorts there are set in jungle-type surroundings with beaches, pools, snorkling, etc. You can also take a ferry over to Cozumel to spend the day, but I wouldn't stay in Cozumel unless your an Avid scuba diver. Last time we were there, we stayed at a really nice all-inclusive that had a spacious room with NO shared walls (except the floor-we were on the 2nd floor) and a large balcony with 2 chairs a table and a hammock with a very nice view. check this place out
    http://www.xpuha-palace.com/index.html?gclid=CN6n7uTfmI4CFRUHWAodsmfYZg
    I'd go..just get hurricane insurance on the trip-we had to leave 2 days early last time in order to avoid hurricane Emily. We bought the last 2 seats on the LAST flight out of Cancun the day before Emily hit..it took us about 4-5 hours on the phone to secure those seats. Have fun.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

December and January are peak tourist seasons in Puerto Vallarta. Might be good to go in November to avoid the rush but still get good weather.

I went there last year and it was a lot of fun, lots of stuff to do.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i heard San Antonio is beautiful that time of year.

7. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

lol...yes the capital of mexico is definately beautiful that time of year :D

8. nel00

nel00 Member

My family owns a place down in Puerto Vallarta....I always have a blast going down there!!! GREAT NIGHT LIFE!!

9. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Huatluco my favorite place in the world.... cheap nice pristine waters and gorgeous u can have miles and miles of beaches alone for cheap.... plus not all the hustle and bustle of the more touristy places

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you could definitely swim in puerto escondido, oaxaca. its pretty far south - i havent been in december, but check this chart out - 80 degrees makes for very swimable weather. i loved the beaches there - one of them is a top 5 world surfing beach - the biggest waves ive ever seen, brah! really chill town too - like a more secluded vallarta. i ate super-cheap fresh fish everyday - sooo tasty!!!

http://www.mexico-condo.com/Weather-Climate.htm

you can probably fly into escondido from oaxaca city, but if you really want to test your manhood you should ride the bus from there instead. ive put in countless hours on mexican buses and that stretch was the most brutal ive ever riden. go right through some pretty intense mountains - 10 hours to go about 100 miles - the road thru the mountains is so high up that we are in the clouds, often on a dirt road w/ a straight drop on one side, landslide debris all over the road, chickens on the bus and vin disel movies en espanol.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think SamFisher just got wood.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What do you like to do? I mean, it's a big place, do you like beaches, mountains, Mayan pyramids, or donkey shows?

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Wife and I went and stayed at the Wyndham Grand Bay in Isla Navidad last December. Had an awesome time. Beautiful property; it was the perfect speed for us, but might be a bit laid back for some.

Went to Cabo a few months later in the Spring. Don't care if I ever go back.........all I could hear was that ominous sound of money being sucked out of my wallet.

14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

That aint sh*t. I backpacked from Bolivia to Peru and took nothing but buses. Oversold bus puttering up the Andes and sitting next to some local that smells like llama and feet is not a good time. Did I mention no bathroom stops. I had to eat llama son!!!!

15. conquistador#11

better a llama than a guinea pig :p . I had to eat one, when i ventured out to ecuador :( :(

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

oh yeah! one time going from zacatecas to guadalajara i had to sit next to a gay hot dog vendor who was trying to hit on me the whole time. my seat was broken and stuck in the 'recline' position (i think he broke it intentionally). at first we were just talking and i was able to practice my spanish, than he keeps trying to get me to lay back and take a nap w/ him. he put his hand on my leg a couple times. i gave him the evilist evil eye i could muster and he left me alone after that.

needless to say, my other two traveling companions were quite amused.

ill take llamas and feet over gay hot dog vendors w/ grabby hands any day!

what is llama like to eat? is it like goat - greasy?

17. right1

right1 Member

The only Valium I ever took in my life was on that bus ride through Oaxaca down to Puerto Escondido. The bus broke down and all the passengers were switched to a different one. I was asleep in the back seat and didn't realize until the driver found me after they had already left. He had to radio ahead and stop the other bus while I, then, made the switch, groggily and wobbly-legged I might add. I squeezed onto the edge of an overcrowded seat and woke up with my head resting on the shoulder on an old vaquero farmer wearing a sombrero. He didn't mind too much. As for my train ride through Mexico..... that's a different story. Hell yeah...go to Mexico anytime of the year. November/December is a great time to go.

18. Lady_Di

LOL did you mean "womanhood"?

19. Lady_Di

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I just want to go swimming, lay on the beaches and drink a Corona!!