1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Metal] Avenged Sevenfold or Metallica?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Aug 25, 2014.

?

A7X Or Metallica

1. Avenged Sevenfold

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Metallica

42 vote(s)
    84.0%
  3. Unsure/Even

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Just wondering who you guys think is better or who you prefer. This is for all you rock music junkies out there.

Avenged Sevenfold or Metallica?

This is a constant debate, although some feel it is no contest.

I prefer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kG5RdQpYyoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ignore subtitles. Ha.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b5TIth9DKL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hZeNlywNSZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 roxxfan, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This feels like a generational thing to me. Most of the 30+ year olds will probably choose Metallica, but the younger generation is more familiar with A7X. I definitely go with Metallica.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

80s Metallica if I had to choose, but I'm not a fan of either in general. I prefer heavier metal.

Sorry to sound like a typical internet metal snob, but that's my take.

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I say Metallica just because of their body of work, but I am a fan of A7X too and I saw them 2 weeks ago and they were fantastic. They are easily the biggest of the new 21st century metal bands and for good reason.

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jgk3u44W2i4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm usually plugged in to current this that and the other thing but sometimes I feel like I've been standing in a heavy rain at the platform and somehow missed the last three or four trains.

Avenged Sevenfold....never even heard of them. I'm surrounded by too many other middle-aged individuals, I suppose. I'm gonna have to go check them out.

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of popping in the (eponymous, I think?) Metallica CD driving from Kingwood back to Westchase. I had almost forgotten just how good that album is.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Never heard of Avenged before so went to check out a few of their tracks. Reminds me of 00's Metallica. Sorry but they can't even touch 80's Metallica. So to answer your question, Metallica and it's not even close. I actually can't believe this is a constant debate in your circle.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I only know Dear God by A7X.

Other than that, I don't listen to metal. They give Jontro a headache.

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm 20 and I'm going with Metallica... But to be fair the only reason I know who avenged sevenfold are is because they were in a madden game a few years back.

One by Metallica is my favorite metal song no doubt

11. Mr. Clutch

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Metallica, though I love A7X. When I started listening to Avenged about 7 years ago, there were certain songs where I couldn't stand their lead singer's (M. Shadows) voice. He's definitely gotten better, but as they've gotten more popular, they're starting to sound a little bit like Metallica now.

I don't have a problem with it since I love Metallica, but it's interesting to see how their sound and style has changed.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The bulk of this board is older at this point so you're going to see a skew towards Metallica. All things being equal, Metallica is probably better as a whole.

I'm 'older' and voted A7X. They're far fresher than Metallica (to me) at this point. Metallica lost me with the whole Napster debacle, and their music has gone downhill since 'Black' anyway. They should have hung it up a couple decades ago and gone out on a high note.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8YaaZZN9VYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I definitely agree that the preference is more or less generational. Sevenfold's genre sort of evolves with each album release. It is pretty unique. Same thing with the singer's voice. I've heard some from Metallica, but from what I have heard I still prefer A7X. I actually like Matt Shadow's vocals. Some people don't. The lead guitarist from A7X is very talented. I saw them recently as well in the Woodlands and they put on an amazing show. They worked the crowd. Never seen that kind of mosh pit on the lawn before.

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I've never heard of this band Avenged Sevenfold. Must not be hipster-approved metal like Mastodon and Baroness. :eek:

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

oops

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WEL6_SuQCu8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think any metal head will laugh at you if you suggest avenged sevenfold is metal. And then you stack them up against arguably the greatest and most influential metal band of all time.

That's like asking, who's the better rapper, Soulja boiiiii or Nas?

19. Mr. Clutch

Soulja Boy.

20. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, one band pioneered thrash metal and produced four major albums in the 80's (middle two being the best in my opinion). Plus one huge crossover monster. The other is some kind of hybrid hard rock band that has essence of 311-style bro rap-rock with very sugary pop choruses. I don't really hear innovation. I have tried listening to them multiple times over the years and the best I can usually do is, "well this part isn't bad". I generally don't want bro rock. I want my metal to be from disenfranchised outsiders and weird kids.