1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mentally prepared to stand pat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Are you? Am I?"

What if everything here is just as simple as Morey banking on the fact that Jones/Motejunas will improve as a PF rotation and that Jason Terry can play one more year as an offensive sparkplug and difference maker.

I admire Morey but he doesn't seem to value chemistry. You can argue that chemistry among H&H is the ultimate key they are working on. I get that. But if we make a deal in February, I don't think we will have time to gel enough to be a contender this year. Being a contender this year should be priority. Personally, I think Morey and Co have their eyes fixed on Portland. Not on how to beat them in 2014 but how to steal Aldridge if they bottom out. Aldridge and then Durant the year after. I don't like it. I know I might be wrong.

How eager is the rest of the league going to be to give us the last piece? Not really many championships built that way as far as I remember. We are going to win 50 or so games regardless but Jason Terry and Trevor Ariza are your second and third options on the perimeter. You aren't going that far if that is the case.

How can we expect James Harden to improve on defense when he has an increased role on offense? CP and Lin weren't all that but they helped out in the creativity department. We better start playing slow(er) and inside out if we Harden to survive 82 games.

And McHale is still the coach with no tactical help. No more explanation needed.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Morey standing Pat? No. Trading Pat, maybe.

It sounds like you're contradicting yourself. How can you say Morey doesn't value chemistry because he keeps making moves, but then think he's willing to just wait it out? But then he'll make a deal at the deadline and you think that's not good either?

So we can't just stand pat, but we can't move players either because it's bad for chemistry. So, what do we do then :confused:

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think he is banking on just about everyone improving.

Daniels, along with the guys you mentioned, should be a very important and productive wing player as well. Although I'm still not sold that Terry was brought here to be a real contributor, but I guess it's possible. Let's also not forget about Bev. I don't expect him to become some offensive powerhouse, but I think some improvement on that end isn't out of the question.

In my opinion a late season addition depends on the player. I think finishers mesh better and quicker than a creator will. So if we are bringing in a new point guard then gelling will probably be a real issue, outside of that I don't think it will be as big of a concern.

4. traveler

traveler Member

In Morey I trust.

5. alethios

alethios Member

Are you asking PPat if he's mentally prepared to stand?

I would be fine with standing pat with the players we have and develop chemistry but I also want to sign another big name. Does that make sense?

6. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

im happy standing pat...BUT

i would like a trade at the deadline. Im sure morey will make us all happy

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I actually used to not know what standing pat meant, and seriously thought it meant that we'd just stand by Patterson at the 4 spot instead of getting an upgrade when people talked about trades. Only months after Patterson was traded did I realize that's not what it meant.

Yes, full r****d, I was.

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Why do people seem to believe that he doesn't value chemistry? Because he keeps making moves?

I've been hearing this criticism of Morey for the last since the 09 playoffs. If he didn't make all those moves then, they wouldn't have the 2 superstar core the team has now.

If he sacrificed flexibility this past season for chemistry sake, Rocket's will be stuck in the almost contender zone for a long time.

If the team had the talent to win it all, he would maintain the status quo of the roster.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey, 2010:

Generally, it's overrated. Winning breeds chemistry. Many thought Artest would hurt the Lakers. We knew Ron was a better teammate than given credit for. A little corky but on the floor he's solid. Generally overrated but that said, we've had good chemistry and hope that creates wins. We focus first on getting good players and chemistry follows.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stand pat or trade?

Trade Pat!

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Unless you plan on trading him for one of the Avengers, I think I'll stick with Wolverine.

The Last Stand! ;)

12. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I don't expect any moves until the trading deadline. Unfortunately the other GM's smell blood in the water and they won't go out of their way to help us.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed!

I'll only take an Avenger or Rondo.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I feel like a mid season deal is the realistic goal. Until then, I do think the team as currently assembled can at least be equal to last year's squad. Then depth is almost certainly lacking but the starting lineup will be much better overall with Bev as the full time starter and Ariza ranging around the perimeter disrupting the opposition's offense and draining threes on the other end.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Chemistry is generally pretty overrated when your starting lineup is -

Brooks, Ariza, Battier, Scola, Hayes

Look... the truth is the Rockets, and pretty much every team in the NBA will rotate out their supporting players every 2 to 3 years regardless. Look at how many different supporting cast members the Spurs have had over the years.

And that is a team that isn't looking to add a 3rd core piece still. The Rockets are, or are keeping that option open.

In the end, the only bit of chemistry that matters is the chemistry that comes from your core foundational players, and the coach, & management. If you have the right pieces in place at those levels the supporting players will fall into place.

Argue all you want to about the core pieces:

Superstars: Harden & Howard (have their share of warts, but largely underrated & still have potential to be great together)
    Coaching: The chemistry and leadership seem to be there. The X's an O's however... we all know how 99% of CF'ers feel about that.
    Management: ?.. I'd say there are different opinions about this one

Lets worry about the chemistry of the supporting players when the main 3 boxes are checked if we even really need to be worrying at all.

And yes... Chemistry of the roster IS overrated in the CONTEXT of the interview Morey was giving at the time.

16. baubo

baubo Member

I don't think we'll stand pat before the season. At the very least, I envision us making a small trade to help the depth. But in terms of major trades, I definitely think more players will become available by the deadline.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Actually, he was asked and talking about the Miami Heat. ;)

Chemistry is generally overrated, so says Daryl!

#17 J.R., Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not sure anyone can disagree with Daryl...as long as you get players that aren't bad guys and fit the needs of a basketball team, how can they not eventually have chemistry?

19. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Aldridge and then Durant the year after.

Do you even salary cap?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Morey already told us we can't win without a third star, yet to be acquired. So he's not standing pat. But, he's probably not dealing either since he let all his assets walk for capspace. So, I'm mentally prepared to be an also-ran.

I think he means that Morey will swing for Aldridge. If he can't get Aldridge, he'll try for Durant.

Actually, I see this as a distinct possibility -- that Morey spends the next 3 years looking for that elusive 3rd star just like the 3 years he spent looking for a franchise player to plug in next to Kevin Martin and Luis Scola.