1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mentally ill girl hanged from Crane at age 16 by Iran's "Morality Police"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 16, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow...DaDa is defending me!!! :)

you're right. i don't typically blow people up. not recently, anyway. but you sinners better watch your backs!!!! ;) :D

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Executing mentally-ill children? Don't be silly...

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

How many nations even use Sharia?

How many of those (if there is more than 1) don't have examples like this?

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Sometimes it makes sense to look at our own house before condemning the actions of others.

Sometimes it's such a ridiculous comparison that you should avoid the impulse. There should be no qualifying remarks when condemning this repulsive act.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Depends which version of the 'Shari'ah' they are using, there is no monolithic set of rules for it, it varies from one society to the next, depending on their interpretation of the texts and how it could be applied to the unique needs of modern society.

But the point remains that executing mentally-ill people is not part of shari'ah law. Islam exempts the mentally ill from responsibility for their actions, you can't punish someone who doesn't know right from wrong.

#25 tigermission1, Aug 16, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

How many different versions are out there? How less severe is some over others? This girl did not deserve this kind of action aginst her...agree?

7. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

That's what I was wondering. I guess nothing, it's a man's world there.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know people make fun of rednecks, but Iran is like Rednecks on steroids.

DD

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Yup, according to some religion, a woman was made of a rib taken from a man. BFD if a rib gets broken, man would be just fine.

Maybe it's just a parable, I don't know.

10. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

That wasn't always the case. Several hundred years ago Christian fundamentalism was the ruling power in most of Europe...and frankly they didn't do much better than the ruling caste of Muslims today.

The way I see it, people are easily corrupted by power. They twist the tenets of their respective religions to suit their own needs.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely. great post.

12. DaDakota

I 100% agree...the Spanish Inquisition was horrible.

And the theocracies in the Middle East are in the same boat, trying to go back to the stone ages....but you can't stop progress.

The USA should be fostering those feelings and trying to win the minds of the people with propaganda & culture instead of with bullets.

DD

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You can not win the minds of people with propaganda. To win the people over, you need to really improve the lives of people. The US does not really care about improving the lives of people in poor countries unless there are profits to be made by US companies. I do not believe the mullahs or the Shahs or the Saudi princes care about the lives of the people in their country either.

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I truly feel sorry for moderate moslims who are left who allways get the crimes of the fanatics refelected back at them. it's truly a shame.

BTW, the mollah's also raped her to purifie her sinfull soul . this is a legaliazed practise by the mollah's. they believe if they rape a female before her execution, it free her evil soul.

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Religion and goverment do not mix. iran is the most obvious case.

BTW, There is 2 other iranians here who clearly support the mollah's and call ahmadinejad a brillant man, i wanna see how they can this.

16. DaDakota

Is this part of Islam? Is it in the Quran?

DD

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agree no excuses for barbarism.

Harris County struggled mightily to kill Andrea Yates who was mentally ill.

Does the original poster think this is a good reason to hate Muslims or to do Bush Cheney's longed for war against IraN?

#37 glynch, Aug 16, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No.

This would not be the reason, but I can certainly see things getting to a point where appeasement would no longer work.

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course hanging a mentally ill girl for having sex is horrific. But I have to ask- Why all of this attention on Iran, where we have little or no influence? Why not focus our attention on countries like Saudi Arabia, where they do things like this-

From Amnesty International-

Flogging

Flogging remained a routine corporal punishment handed down by courts as a main or additional sentence.

A woman was sentenced to 65 lashes in addition to six months’ imprisonment in February. She was convicted of having committed adultery with her sister’s husband, despite having reportedly claimed before the court that he had raped her. The man was sentenced to 4,700 lashes and six years’ imprisonment.

Bodily mutilation

At least seven people, all foreign nationals, had their right hand amputated, and one man had two of his teeth extracted under qisas (retribution) punishment.

Abdulrahman Isma’il, an Egyptian national, and Shir Muhammad ‘Ali Ahmad, an Afghan national, had their right hands amputated in Mecca in July. Both had been convicted of theft.

Death penalty

At least 48 people were executed. Twenty of them were foreign nationals. The Saudi Arabian nationals executed included three believed to have been convicted on charges of homosexuality. All 48 were sentenced to death after trials about which very little was known.

http://web.amnesty.org/report2003/sau-summary-eng

Maybe we should rethink selling 6 billion dollars worth of military equipment to regimes like this. Or at least use our leverage to foster real change in Saudi Arabia. I can guarantee you that we have a much better chance, and a bigger responsibility given U.S. support for the Saudi regime, to make a positive difference in human rights in that country.

20. DaDakota

Gifford, we should try to win over those peoples too....

DD