1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Mental Illness] Trump says Obama founded ISIS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Good and bad are relative terms, explain what different course should have been taken and what good results could have been expected. Please address Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, the Kurds, the PKK, Libya, Russia, Saudi Arabia and US Public Opinion and balancing the relationships between them.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Important people in the know are saying things. Crazy things. Now I'm not sure if it's true or not, I'm just repeating what everyone is saying.

Donald Trumps loan from his father was actually MUCH larger than people think. BUT he did not take all that money. No not all, just around half. From these people are telling me, he donated half his loan money to start NAMBLA.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The US military has effectively wiped out ISIS' predecessors before. Under Obama/Clinton, they were left to flourish with half-baked attempts to eliminate them.

You think Hillary and Obama succeeded in the Middle East? Get a clue

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How do you wipe out an idea? The guys who killed all those people in America pretty much got guns and and started shooting up people. No fancy planning required.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Trump now says he was being "sarcastic."

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I especially do not want a president who you cannot gauge whether his remarks come across as being sarcastic or not without being told after-the-fact.

It is honestly a bunch of BS! He was not being sarcastic. He uses that as his excuse when the backlash over anything he says becomes too great.

Basically, what he is saying is every time he takes the podium...he is punking anyone who is listening. I do not want to continually be punked by my own president. F that!

#46 Surfguy, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

He made it expressly clear that he was serious and meant what he meant on his interview with Hewitt. In Trump word, truth means absolutely nothing. Just put words out there and see what sticks with the maniac base.

We are so fortunate that this man isn't a slick weasel like Paul Ryan. Could you imagine if he had coated his campaign in snake oil like a typical right wing politician, and somehow rode Clinton's "unfavorables" to the White House? We would have lived the next four years under a repressive, kleptomaniac dictator. The horror years of the Iraq war and the 2008 crisis might have been paradise in comparison.

8. justtxyank

His surrogate Andre Bauer on CNN last night admitted that Trump was expressing his belief (when using Hussein Obama) that Obama sympathizes with terrorists basically.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I might not agree with all of Obama's policies but man I'm pretty sure almost everyone here would love to see s one on one debate about foreign and domestic policy between Obama and Trump and just watch Trump absolutely get wrecked by Obama sideways.

Deep down Trump knows it to. He's a giant p***y with these **** remarks about Obama not to his face. I would really love to see Trump pull this **** off with Obama in the same room as him with a chance for him to dismantle Trump logic piece by piece. Trump wouldn't even ****ing dare.

It would be as bad as a Sarah Palin/Obama debate.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Love that part of Trump's spin on why he was being "sarcastic" was to catch CNN and other TV media in their bias... yet conservative water carrier Hugh Hewitt was the media person that was reporting his statement (and obviously not in a sarcastic manner).

If Hewitt had any integrity he would call out Trump and his campaign... oh wait, Hewitt is a conservative talk radio show, what am I doing expecting integrity?

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Genuine question, not trolling: since you believe that Obama's approach in Syria has been a disaster, what do you think a winning strategy would be?

Syria's the biggest cluster**** on the planet that is baffling military leaders who don't want to instigate WWIII. I'm curious to know what those who disagree with the bombing approach think a proper solution, both to wipe out ISIS and stabilize the territory seized from them, would be.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It may have already been posted in this thread but the funniest part is he is saying Obama created ISIS...even if indirectly and not literally by drawing down US forces in Iraq...but Trump was all for Obama removing troops from Iraq at the time. His opinion then was we shouldn't be over there at all fighting on foreign lands and should bring our troops home asap. This makes him look even more like an idiot because he is practicing revisionist history. The fact is no one could have reasonably predicted the rise of ISIS. There are so many factors that went into it happening and expanding. He's acting like it would have never happened if he were in charge but that's total BS.

13. underoverup

underoverup Member

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Trump realizes that to a certain extent the truth doesn't matter in the media, because the media acts like an amplifier first. They broadcast what he said. Step two is assessing the truth of what he said. Mainstream media, including Fox, still try to maintain a bit of objectivity, so they are less comfortable doing anything but "reporting" or broadcasting what someone said.

This is the evil genius of Trump: exposing that in presidential elections the truth is only marginally important. It's really damaging to our political process.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I should add that now, mainstream media is not even very relevant. With Youtube, twitter, etc., you can deliver lies directly to your audience with no filter. The truth actually doesn't matter at all. Just say some **** and a million twitter followers receive it.

16. justtxyank

I find your theory illuminating and I join you in your call to place limits on the right to vote. :grin:

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Just change the voter ID law to require your Yacht Club card and Mensa membership plus proof of 51% European ancestry.

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Donald Trump tries to walk back claim Obama founded ISIS: 'Sarcasm'

Donald Trump on Friday attempted to walk back the widely criticized false claim he repeatedly made over the last two days that President Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were "co-founders" of ISIS -- saying he was being sarcastic.

Trump tweeted Friday morning that the media was missing his sarcasm.
    "Ratings challenged @CNN reports so seriously that I call President Obama (and Clinton) "the founder" of ISIS, & MVP. THEY DON'T GET SARCASM?" Trump wrote.

The tweet was the first move by Trump to moderate his comments, which he had repeated multiple times since he featured them in a speech Wednesday night and which came under fire from the Clinton campaign and many Democrats. Media outlets also pointed out in their coverage that Trump's claim was false.
    Trump supporter Newt Gingrich on Friday said that the GOP nominee has failed to understand the importance of being precise.

"One of the things that's frustrating about his candidacy is the imprecise language," Gingrich said on "Fox and Friends." "He sometimes uses three words when he needs 10."

Gingrich said if Trump had said Obama and Clinton's policies had created the opening for ISIS, he'd be defensible.

"When you instead compress them into 'Obama created ISIS,' I know what Trump has in his mind, but that's not what people hear," Gingrich said. "He has got to learn to use language that has been thought through and that is clear to everybody, and to stick to that language."

The former House speaker also said he believes Trump is relying on old habits that won him a primary, without understanding that the situation changes in the general election.

"It was a style that none of his Republican opponents could cope with," Gingrich said. "But I don't think he yet appreciates, when you're one of the few candidates for president, particularly when you're the conservative ... you've got to understand that the news media is going to attack you every chance they get, and it's your job to not give them a chance."

For the last two days, Trump had been insisting Obama was a founder of ISIS.

In an interview Trump did with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt on Thursday morning, in which Hewitt attempted multiple times to get Trump to say he was being metaphorical or hyperbolic, Trump repeatedly refused -- and insisted he really meant Obama was a founder of ISIS.

Hewitt prodded Trump, suggesting the GOP nominee meant that Obama "created the vacuum, he lost the peace," and was not to be taken literally. But Trump objected.

"No, I meant he's the founder of ISIS. I do. He was the most valuable player. I give him the most valuable player award. I give her, too, by the way, Hillary Clinton," Trump said.

Hewitt tried again, saying: "But he's not sympathetic to them. He hates them. He's trying to kill them."

"I don't care," Trump replied. "He was the founder. His, the way he got out of Iraq was that that was the founding of ISIS, okay?"

Trump first made the comments about Obama founding ISIS in a Wednesday speech, referring to president by including his middle name, "Barack Hussein Obama."

"In fact, in many respects, you know they honor president Obama. ISIS is honoring President Obama. He is the founder of ISIS. He's the founder of ISIS, OK? He's the founder. He founded ISIS."

After his interview with Hewitt, Trump also repeated the comments at campaign events on Thursday.

Clinton responded to Trump's comments on Thursday by tweeting back, trying to turn the remarks against him.

"No, Barack Obama is not the founder of ISIS," she wrote. "Anyone willing to sink so low, so often should never be allowed to serve as our Commander-in-Chief."

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think the thread title is actually quite accurate.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think it's been very effective when Trump and his allies tries to explain away a comment as "joking" or "sarcastic." What tends to happen is his "core" fans believe him, but the rest of the electorate remain unconvinced. The math really doesn't work out for him since his core fans are really just about maybe 33% of the electorate.

To me, the problem with the "just kidding" explanation are three-fold:

First, some of the stuff he says put him in a bad light even if he was joking. A President, and a person auditioning to be the President, shouldn't joke about certain things.

Second, Trump's demeanor and tone of voice when he is supposedly being "sarcastic" or "joking" are not really different from his non-joking/sarcastic demeanor and tone. He always sound the same way-- like an *******.

Third, often there would be more than one explanation coming out of Trump's camp for every damaging comment. Mike Pence would offer one, then Katrina Pierson would offer one, then Trump himself would offer one. It really doesn't look like member of Trump's camp (campaign staff, surrogates, Hannity) talk to each other.