1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memphis Grizzlies set NBA shot-clock era record with one FT attempt — and win anyway

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roxxfan, Feb 9, 2014.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ne-ft-attempt-—-and-win-anyway-065730977.html

By Eric Freeman
    3 hours ago
    Ball Don't Lie

There are some accepted ways to win a basketball game: defend, rebound, take good shots, earn trips to the free throw line, etc. On Saturday night, the Memphis Grizzlies utterly failed to execute in one of those areas. But it didn't matter, because they won the game anyway.

Visiting the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena, the Grizzlies managed a single free-throw attempt — a technical foul shot made by guard Courtney Lee following a defensive three seconds violation with 8:33 left in the third quarter. That stat is an NBA record for the fewest free-throw attempts in the shot clock era.

Even more incredibly, the Grizzlies somehow managed to get past that lack of production at the line and won the game 79-76.

Their players were startled to hear the news in the locker room. From Ronald Tillery for The Memphis Commercial Appeal:

“In the second half, the game got physical and that’s how we want to play,” Griz guard Courtney Lee said. “It played into our favor. We got active. We competed. We turned it up defensively.”

In snapping a two-game losing streak, Memphis (27-22) held Atlanta to a season-low in points. That’s notable given how difficult points were to come by. The Griz became the first team in NBA history to attempt one free throw in a game.

“Wow. Can I say wow?” Griz forward Zach Randolph said. “Man, I should’ve shot that one.”

The Grizzlies have a deserved reputation as one of the most physical teams in the NBA, so it makes some sense that they would perform well in a game in which officials let a lot of contact go. Nevertheless, there's something pretty shocking about earning zero foul shots via contact and still winning the game. As noted by Brett Pollakoff at ProBasketballTalk, only 13 teams since 1985-86 had won while attempting four or fewer free throws. It's just not an easy way to win.

Based on their reputation, the Grizzlies will probably take pride in being able to win a game while earning just one freebie. On the other hand, my guess is they don't want to tie this record ever again.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't know why earning just 1 ft counts as "tough". If you don't earn fts that means they weren't driving hard to the basket or trying to score in the paint and the defense wasn't aggressive.

IMHO the toughest team still goes to the Larry Brown Pistons, that team won a game without a single player making a FGA. Now that's tough.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That never happened. The Pistons did not go an entire game without making a field goal.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Kind of a perfect storm. On the road, and Atlanta is near the top of the league in keeping opponents off the line while Memphis is near the bottom in getting to the line.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah what is he talking about? Maybe it is a joke I don't understand

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Grizzlies had 50 points in the paint lol.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol its impossible to do that, I think maybe he meant 3pt?

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yea I took it as hyperbole.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It would be possible if there were a team made up of 5 James Hardens