1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Melo Thread] Woj: OKC and Melo to part ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 6, 2018.

1. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

I say go after Ibaka once we sign Melo..

2. 713Genius

713Genius Member

Sign Melo and move Anderson for Bazemore, Resign LMM to MLE. Find a legit 4th guard, maybe JJ Barea for Nene and a 2nd. Look at Bogut, Wright, Tyson Chandler buyout

BigShasta and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I used to be a big fan of Sergeballu LaMu Sayonga Loom Walahas Jonas Hugo Ibaka, but last year he was a huge negative. -15 net rating in the playoffs and down every category except 3pt% at 37.5. He only got to play around 25 minutes, he was a liability. A change of scenery might help. Harden/Paul have been in this system now and might be able to ignite him offensively to make up for the lack of defense. He's certainly more productive than Anderson but he doesn't have that deep 3 ball that Anderson does, so he can't stretch as intense. He doesn't have the mental block that Anderson has though so I mean you win some you lose some. What else would we have to give up to get him? Ibaka is the better player afterall.

Rocket Guy and napalm06 like this.
  4. cebu

cebu Member

trade Anderson for him.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Throw in Ryan Anderson into the mix.......show me what ya got Gary Clark, V Edwards, Rob Gray,, Adel

6. farr3l

farr3l Member

DM reveal your plan already. Are we running it back with the hoodie or not?

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If he comes here I want all the pills removed from Jeff Bzdelik's medicine cabinet immediately.

rocketman84 and Sajan like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Absolutely. But will Melo have Johnson's mentality of being willing to take a back seat on the bench when warranted? That's a big issue.

arubato and clutch citizen like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Have you seen how his suits fit? I think he's shrinking. He's gonna be 5ft 3in 115lbs after Melo.

Will likes this.
  10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Nene and Melo are close from their time in Denver, and Nene is a good locker room influence. Doubt he gets traded.

713Genius likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ok, where I stand on Melo on the Rockets in 2018-19.....

I was all-in for Melo for Anderson last summer. With the thinking that Melo would be "Olympic Melo" and hit 3pt shots and could diversify the offense better than Anderson. The Rockets have CP3 here, a PEER/FRIEND to Melo to help buffer any nonsense.

We saw Melo in OKC. Which was a better situation for him than NY. The results were lackluster. And the "not coming off the bench" comments were not one of a team player.

We saw the Rockets last season make a breakthrough - DEFENSIVELY. PJ Tucker inserted into the starting lineup at PF. The team rises to 3rd in defense in the NBA. And THEN we see the team succeed in the playoffs OFF THAT DEFENSIVE STRENGTH.

So, with all of that said, Melo on the Rockets concerns me some at this stage. I think offensively he could be better on the Rockets than OKC. But I am worried about him being a "net negative" with his defense. Sure we can put PJ on the wing defensively, but he is more efficient covering PFs. And yes I know we switch a lot.

Melo coming to the Rockets.....to me....he has to change his attitude. He has to accept a bench scoring role. That could be a plus for the team. But I am not as eager to see him on the Rockets as I once was. I am not against it....just mixed. TBD.

-- Aside --

I did not want to lose Ariza. I value his defense. But I recognize the age issue. This offseason if the Rockets are to lose Ariza, I would rather they get YOUNGER at the position. I liked the idea of going after Tyreke Evans because of his age and "shot creation" ability which I think this team needs MORE of. Oh well.

Trading Anderson for Bazemore? Sure. Younger, defense and shot creation. Start Gordon or Bazemore at the 3 and have the other be the bench scorer.

The Rockets ran out of gas because of a lack of playoff caliber bench guys and because some guys were old. that has to change.

If Melo were to join the Rockets in the place of the JOE JOHNSON role, I would be all for it. But to combat GSW....the team needs more "2 way" play on the wings.

-- Aside 2 --

Morey/MDA/CP aren't dumb. They saw Melo's play with OKC. They saw the FIT. And they saw what works for Houston (when they replaced Anderson for Tucker). So, I have to believe IF the Rockets go after Melo, they understand the dynamics of that and have an understanding of how the pieces fit in terms of what has been successful for this team.

EDIT: One thing I remember...what David Locke said about Melo. Being a "high usage" player and being inefficient is not good. Basically that player takes shots away from good efficient players (e.g. Harden/CP). Best to surround efficient players with "low usage" efficient players (e.g. Tucker). So, what I am saying is, Melo on the Rockets would have to accept and be happy with taking less shots. His role would be a release value and less a focal point. Again, another "mind set" change for him. Would he accept that?

#771 Deuce, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    BigShasta, dlite316, Easy and 9 others like this.
  12. mockster

mockster Member

warriors sign melo to a one year vet min and are now in the Kawhi Leonard trade talks

sammy likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Philly is interesting and out of nowhere suggestion. I could see it. That Philly team really needed a "go to" scorer last season. That "role" would be something Melo could help fill and Philly will be a playoff team. Honestly, that is a great landing spot for Melo.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Record scratch...

DonKnock likes this.
  15. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

i think reason he's being cut is to save money on Luxury tax, so i don't think they want salary back? i could be wrong though.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Deuce listens to David Locke..o_O

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So much bandwidth spent on a player that is past his prime and has never played for the Rox before.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I do on occasion on his LockedOn NBA pod.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

*Bananawidth

daywalker02 and Sajan like this.
  20. 34to11

34to11 Member

I must say it's a bit disappointing to see how many supposed Rockets fans apparently think the Rockets environment, culture, and coaching are exactly the same as the Thunder's.

daywalker02, PDJACK7 and Cstyle42 like this.