1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo says "It's a time for change."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by devin23, Oct 28, 2010.

1. devin23

devin23 Member

And the drama continues.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoErIy9b7UPPAhtPcmRL9Oy8vLYF?slug=mc-anthonynuggets102810

DENVER – Not long after George Karl made his triumphant return with a resounding victory over the Utah Jazz, the Denver Nuggets coach had an important announcement for the assembled media. Despite Carmelo Anthony’s(notes) well-chronicled efforts to push for a trade, Karl said, the Nuggets are ”going to keep him here whether he knows it or not.”

Anthony later laughed off his coach’s attempt at humor because that’s all it was – a joke. For all the goodwill inspired by the Nuggets’ season-opening rout of their Northwest Division rival, Anthony told Yahoo! Sports Wednesday night that he still doesn’t intend to sign the team’s three-year, $64 million contract extension.

More From Marc J. SpearsVan Exel regrets pushing for trade Oct 27, 2010 Season brings fresh start for Nuggets coach Oct 27, 2010
    Carmelo Anthony says he doesn't intend to sign the Nuggets' contract extension offer.

(NBAE/Getty Images)
    Anthony actually considers these Nuggets more talented than the team he helped take to the 2009 Western Conference finals. But even that doesn’t seem enough to convince him to stay, despite the best intentions of Karl, Nuggets president Josh Kroenke and new vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri.

”They want to sit down and talk, but my thing is it’s way beyond this year,” Anthony told Yahoo! Sports after scoring a team-high 23 points in the Nuggets’ victory. ”It ain’t got nothing to do with the new GM, Josh, the players. For me, I feel it’s a time for change.

”If I do nothing now, I’m never going to do anything. I feel like my time is now to make a decision if I want to leave or if I want to stay.”

League sources still expect the Nuggets to try to trade Anthony rather than risk losing him for nothing when he can opt out of his contract at the end of the season. Denver’s options could improve after Dec. 15 when free agents who signed in the offseason can be traded. Sources close to Anthony say he is worried about being dealt to a team that has to gut its roster to acquire him. Possible trade partners also aren’t going to want to give up much for Anthony unless they receive some kind of assurance he’ll sign an extension. Another potential roadblock is the $1 million trade kicker Anthony has in his contract.

In July 2006, Anthony signed a five-year, $80 million contract extension that included an opt-out before the final season. He passed on taking a shorter deal like the ones that allowed his fellow draft class members LeBron James(notes), Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) to become free agents this summer. At the time, Anthony called it a ”no-brainer” to take the guarantee of another year of salary – even though it limited his flexibility – because he still remembered how much his family struggled for money when he was growing up.

Four years later, Anthony no longer feels the pressure to take the maximum extension the Nuggets are offering.

”I can’t go out there playing and thinking like that,” he said. ”I won’t be able to be as effective as I can be out there thinking like that.”

Anthony has been interested in playing for the New York Knicks or Chicago Bulls, sources close to him said in September. The Bulls and Nuggets talked that month, league sources said, but the Nuggets didn’t have much interest in acquiring forward Luol Deng(notes) and his hefty contract, and the Bulls didn’t want to part with center Joakim Noah(notes). League sources also continue to say the Knicks don’t have the right pieces to put together a credible offer for Anthony.

The New Jersey Nets made a bid to land Anthony with a package built around rookie forward Derrick Favors(notes), but the Nuggets wanted to continue exploring their options. The Nuggets remain confident they can resume talks with the Nets at any time. One source close to Anthony, however, doesn’t think he has warmed much to the idea of playing for the Nets.

”Well, we have to see what happens,” Anthony said. ”I’m keeping my options open.”

Anthony didn’t have to endure any substantial heckling from Nuggets fans during the season opener. He heard ”a couple boos” when he missed two straight shots, but nothing that bothered him. When he wasn’t in the game, Anthony cheered for his teammates from the bench. With the Nuggets well on their way to routing the Jazz, he went to the sideline for good midway through the fourth quarter and received a strong ovation from the crowd.

Once the final buzzer sounded, Anthony walked to the locker room with his young son, Kiyan. Soon after, Anthony exchanged pleasantries with Ujiri.

”I looked at it like another game,” Anthony said. ”Another night.”

The question now: How many more nights will Anthony continue to wear a Nuggets uniform?

2. DaJet

DaJet Member

The longer this drags out, the more chance we have.

He doesn't want to go to a team that has to gut their roster to get him, which rules out the Nets.

The Bulls just re-signed Noah so they are out of the picture.

The Knicks have crap, but I can see Melo forcing the Nuggets to trade him their, but they will also have to gut their roster.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Ethier Melo is running for office or leaving Denver?

4. chadyang

chadyang Member

Battier and RA for Melo ? :p

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

All the nonsense about how the Nuggets were "still a possibility" and how happy he was to continue playing in Denver this season comes crashing down. I figured he would start dropping hints if things didn't move fast enough.

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

He's going to New York. It makes the most sense. Melo has made it obvious he wants to play in NY and now that Knicks have Amare, it makes basketball sense too. If anything, his wife Lala will make sure he goes to NY and right now Knicks is more likely than Nets.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's pretty obvious that Melo isn't really for winning either.

8. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Sounds good to me :grin:

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

We need more tattoos on this team!!!

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep that just sealed it. Dude is about the bright lights and being famous, not winning. I've jumped off this wagon long ago.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's too bad he has no interest in coming here. He won't go to a place where has no interest in playing.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What makes me angry is that these players think Houston is some small market or something. Tmac was a star here and didn't win anything significant.

13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

There's really NO reason to think that as a player. I mean, a lot of NBA players call Houston home in the summer, so it has to be a great city for living. As far as the market goes, we're the 4th largest metropolitan city in the U.S. I don't think it gets any bigger unless you're going to NY, LA, Chicago or Boston. Another thing is... we have Yao, that gives you an even bigger market in China. I just think he's too much into the spotlight of NY.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

It's not like they're close to winning a championship in Denver.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Houston isn't a small market, but it pales behind New York in size and exposure. That's just the way it is. Plus, Melo was born in New York City and grew up in Baltimore. It's very understandable he would have zero interest in coming here.

If a player wants glitter, Houston can't compete with NY and LA. But a lot of NBA players want to live near a huge market, without the stress and want a little more calmness and normalcy. Houston fits that bill.

BTW, to your post, the facts of Houston are likely very well known among NBA players. A boatload of players live around here and word gets around. I would venture to say, on average, NBA players are more knowledgeable about Houston than the general public. At some of the companies I've worked at, the attitudes of (some very smart) people about Houston are surprisingly ignorant.

16. DLRoxFan92

DLRoxFan92 Member

THIS to the power of infinity. Plus, the homes are much CHEAPER in Houston than in NY, LA, or Chicago.

17. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a small market but I believe we're ranked 10th in the country...

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101029-31/latest-carmelo-anthony-trade-watch

19. DaJet

DaJet Member

It seems as though the Nuggets don't want to trade Melo to the Knicks and want to keep him the West? The last part doesn't make any sense.

Another thing, Melo wants to go to a contender, something that the Knicks or Nets will not be for another year or two.

Maybe we are still in this?

We can help facilitate a trade that would help the Nuggets net Iguodala or Varejao.

20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

so he pretty much doesn't care about wining..right..?