1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mel Kiper's take on 2002 NFL draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by MadMax, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Nomar

Nomar Member

Jeff Garcia- 6-1, 195.
    Ken Dorsey- 6-5, 200.
    Aaron Brooks- 6-4, 205.
    Rich Gannon- 6-3, 210.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i don't care what his measureables might be (they're usually way off), he doesn't compare, physically, to the players you've listed.

they all have some width, some muscle; dorsey is a rail. they also all have speed and/or scrambling ability; dorsey is a turtle. dorsey's long and lean, reminds me a bit, physically, of giff nielsen and, imo, he'll be eaten alive on the next level.

remember: he won't be playing behind the '01 hurricane line in the nfl.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

physically, he is, imo. both harrington and carr have some hitches: joey doesn't release the ball quickly, carr has an akward 3/4's delivery. both could be exploited in a bigger, faster game.

but mentally, simms is obviously light years behind, tho, in his slight defense, harrington and carr are both seniors, simms is just a junior.

i think corky, errrr, manning is the white warren moon: nice guy, big numbers, but he'll never earn a ring. just remember, tennessee won a national championship the year after he left.

eli has a swagger; he's fearless. anyone who saw the 7 OT game with arkansas knows what i mean. and he's only a sophomore. i think the sky's the limit for eli; not sure if he'll best his brother in the stat department, but i think he'll win more often.

to me, this is the most telling aspect of all: peyton refused to go to ole miss because he didn't want to have to live up to his dad's legendary career there. guess where eli is?

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I agree. fwiw, Eli was probably UT bound if Simms hadn't committed to us.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

And Dan Marino never won squat and Elway didn't win squat in his prime. An offense includes 11 guys and even if the offensive supporting cast is there (Colts for the better part of the last 4 years) if you defense can't stop anyone it rarely matters in the end. I am not saying Peyton is those guys equal (Elway and zero-championship Marino), but Peyton or Moon is better than 85% of the other starting QBs in the NFL at there time, Peyton will have a long exemplary career in the NFL. I am a Cowboys fan, I am the first to admit 3 time super bowl winner Troy Aikman was probably not quite the player Moon was, there difference was a much better supporting cast and Troy only had to play a few years under a one-eyed farsighted coach (Moon played under that stupid chuck and duck when Houston DID have enough talent on both sides of the ball to win it all). IMO Peyton today, like Moon before, is one of the 5 best QBs playing. If the Colt had the option to pick another player with the #1 pick that year they surely would have declined and stuck with Manning, what more can you ask of Peyton.

If Carr and Harrington weakness are serious flaws not easily corrected (we will see at the combines), then I would think twice of spending a top 5 pick on one of them. Until then I would have might sites on one of them, even if they *ONLY* look to be as good as Peyton.