1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mel Kiper's take on 2002 NFL draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by MadMax, Jan 15, 2002.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He thinks the Texans and Panthers will swap picks with the Panthers ending up with UNC product, Julius Peppers....while the Texans select Joey Harrington.

Ric -- you once told me you didn't think the Texans would trade their pick because they wanted to get a high-profile guy....do you think Harrington could be that high-profile guy??

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

I have been a San Fransisco Forty-Niners fan my entire football fan life. However, the Oilers were my favorite team until a fateful game in Buffalo. I had planned on being a huge Texans fan, but unless they do the smart thing and select McKinnie with the 1st pick, a man who hasnt given up a sack in his entire football playing career, I will not support my home town team.

For the love of god Casserly!!!!! Take McKinnie!!!!!

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You are basing whether or not you like an entire franchise on the first pick they make in their first-ever draft? So, being a Rockets fan, you must have REALLY loved it when they drafted Pat Riley as their first-ever pick, right?

:)

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

did i say that? i know i thought mcnair would frown upon an OL being the first-ever pick (all things being equal)... not sure i ever said they wouldn't trade down (tho, i certainly could have). i think, ultimately, if they can score extra picks and still be in position to grab the guy they want, they'll do it.

anyway, to answer your question, yes: harrington would certainly fit the bill -- charasmatic guy with impressive college stats and a memorable final game.

chill, man; terrence metcalf could possibly be available at #33, and he allowed only one sack in his career and exceled at both tackle and guard. if not metcalf, levi jones could be there at #33, and he has the physical skills to rival mckinnie.

there will be one or two good, young tackles available in free agency, too.

5. Nomar

Nomar Member

I wasnt even born yet actually Jeff. :p

I'm probably just exaggerating. Ill still like them. But Id really like them to start off the right way. This first draft is REALLY important. I just dont see the point of drafting a QB to get pounded for 3 or 4 years. Start with OL and DL, then work your way up.

6. MadMax

ric -- i may have just misunderstood you previously.

i think i like the idea of them picking harrington...the idea is really growing on me.

i don't think they'll take an offensive lineman, given casserly's remarks the other night on 610 about the relative worth and availability of quarterbacks as compared to linemen.

7. Timing

Timing Member

I thought Carr was regarded as the best QB on the board? This if the first I've heard of Harrington being taken that high.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think Mike Williams didn't allow a sack this year either.

9. MadMax

timing -- on some boards, carr is the top-rated QB..on others it's Harrington. Harrington really improved his stock after that bowl game, I think.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Mike Williams is a RT, which diminishes his value a little.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

a RT for a left-handed QB, tho, meaning, essentially, he played the role of a LT in austin. he'll be top 15, easily.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

True. Unless you have a let handed QB. Mike should bea top 6 pick.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I read that Harrington won't be playing in any exhibition games due to the injury he suffered at the Shrine Game. Hopefully its not serious and it won't effect whether the Texans draft him. I'm happy our organization has good people starting at the top so I'm fine with whatever Casserly, Capers, and the scouts decide. They've been preparing for this draft for about 2 years.

I'm hoping its Harrington.

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

So what else happens in this pick-swapping deal. I'm thinking we don't just say take the #1 pick, we'll take #2.

15. haven

haven Member

I actually hope the Texas don't draft Harrington high in the draft. He's a good guy and a good QB, but his late game heroics often covered up some spotty play earlier in games.

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I actually like this draft trade idea, but I'm confused. Carolina has the #2 pick. We have the #1 pick. Have the Texans been scaring the Panthers with well-placed rumors of taking Peppers, so much so that they're willing to trade up one whole spot in the draft to get him? So, we'd get their #1 pick and like a possible 3rd rounder or something? Sounds like a good bullying tactic. Con the hapless Panthers into giving us an extra pick (a.k.a lunch money), just so we won't take their man (a.k.a beat them up). We could still take McKinnie then and get another pick to boot. Perhaps Buffalo will trade for our newly acquired #2 pick out of fear of us taking David Carr. I imagine that Detroit would nab McKinnie with the #3 pick, but we'd still have Harrington on the board, plus yet another pick. Repeat ad naseum.

Geez. Trade down a spot, take McKinnie, sign Dilfer, pick up Kevin Hardy (FA), Jeremiah Trotter (FA), and any other decent free agent WR/DL/OL not designated with the franchise tag, and call it a day.

Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, Eli Manning, Chris Simms, Ken Dorsey, Casey Clausen, and David Ragone are all QB possibilities next year.

17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

williams allowed 1 sack late in the garbage-time portion of the Kansas game.

I think most scouts see him as being able to play left tackle, though.

18. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

I agree V-SUX. Get the beef and the grissle will emerge. If you draft Carr or Harrington you could be setting yourself up for a Drew Bledsoe type scenario at best and a David Klingler type scenario at the worst.(egads!) The Texans should look for quantity, that's why trading the top pick to obtain additional picks will work in the long term....

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Kiper moved him from 25 all the way down to three over the last few weeks. The idea is that Carr is very mature and stable because he has a family and what not, but he throws a lof of passes where the WR does all the work. That's why Kiper moved Harrington ahead of him. He also believes that Carolina badly needs a DE and Peppers is the man. It's possible the Texans could take him because they need everything. Thus the trade. Mel Kiper is usually right on top of it, so I trust him.

20. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

if we're voting, I'll go on record with the Anti-QB delegation.

I think the nfl wants quarterbacks so bad that it invents good ones when there are no good ones to be drafted. I think that's exactly what's happening with carr and harrington.

maybe I'll be wrong, but I think the better pick is anything but those two.