1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meet Chris Finch: 13th coach in Rockets History?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, May 23, 2011.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you can't see why my possible scenario sucks, I can't help you. I'm not your opthamologist. As for your "feeling" about what would have made me happy, that it "would be if ONLY Adelman got his way" couldn't be further from the truth. That's your view, not mine, and one that conveniently fits how you see things. My opinion? This had nothing about Adelman "getting his way." If Adelman "getting his way" meant dumping his assistants to be a placeholder for some D-League coach, that speaks to his integrity, not wanting to "have his way." Adelman clearly wanted to stay and coach this team. Morey was reportedly "surprised" that he did, which surprised me not in the least, not after seeing how Adelman got this team of role players to buy into his system and run it, finally, at a high level. What Adelman needed to be successful and make a run in the playoffs was what Morey didn't get him. A long, atheletic, defensive center, which would have made a huge difference covering the "sins' of the weak spots in the Rockets defense, a role Yao was meant to play in his own, unique way.

Saying "It sucks that Adelman's ego was more important than being a Rocket" is, frankly, a shocking statement that I'm surprised to see you write. If you truly feel that way, I have to wonder if you have a grasp of what integrity is, with all due respect. This was all about Alexander's ego, not Adelman's, and Adelman deserves respect for standing up for his assistants, not redicule.

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'd argue however that long, athletic defensive centers are to put it mildly not easy to get, especially since Adelman's offense requires that said center not be a complete zero offensively, such as say, Kendrick Perkins ( and yes, Chuck Hayes is more competent offensively than Perkins).
    It's why we were willing to roll the dice on Yao this last year, despite the huge risk. We knew that it was very likely that Yao would get injured ( though I don't think anyone would predict that he would be as complete a zero as he was), but that given the rewards, it was the only way, especially in the last year of his deal. For better or for worse, the Yao experiment was a complete disaster, and it's now time to take a different strategy. Adelman, as great as he was, doesn't seem to really buy into that. And that's the fundamental problem, and so it's a parting of the ways. I don't really see what was lacking in integrity.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

No, "dumping his assistants for some D-league coach" was not Adelman's way, that was the Rocket's way as a compromise. Would you have been happier if they had simply said nothing and told him to scram? Maybe.

Adelman's way was doing everything Adelman's way. As in not making the changes that the organization feels necessary to contend in the long run. Not going the rebuilding route and focusing on development instead of a playoff run. That is Adelman's way and if Adelman wasn't getting Adelman's way Adelman was hightailing to the next place he could get Adelman's way. Not that there is anything wrong with that. As a 65 year old, he SHOULD be looking for the Adelman's way. And that's not even to say Adelman is wrong about his assessment on the Rockets. Maybe Adelman's way would be the best way even for us. However the point is it is not his place to be right or wrong because it is not HIS team to run.

That depends on your definition of "success". The Rockets view success as winning a championship and winning a championship alone. A long, athletic , defensive center alone would have gotten us into the playoffs and no where closer to contending. The Rockets believe wholesale changes are needed to get there, while Adelman thinks the Adelman's way is better. That is why he isn't here. How is that hard to comprehend?

That was meant to be a little tongue in cheek but a lot of truth as well. With all due respect, I am not talking about integrity. I am talking about reality. You are right that it was about Alexander's ego as well. The difference is, in REALITY, those two guys do not operate on a level playing field. Alexander is allowed to have an ego. As big as he wants. Because he owns the damn place. If Adelman wants to be a part of the organization, he would have to realize who is the guy cutting the checks and where his own ego belongs. In reality, Adelman knows full well all this, and obviously he doesn't give a damn. That is because he is an accomplished coach and can coach where ever he likes, which is exactly why he is about to coach somewhere else. See, I don't have a problem with Adelman's decision, just like I don't have a problem with the Rocket's. In fact I think it works out better for both sides. And you are right, Adelman does deserve respect for standing up for his assistants. Just like the Rockets deserve respect for standing up for their beliefs and philosophies, despite the predictably unpopular move of going against a HOF coach.

#23 CXbby, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I completely disagree. If I wanted a coach to groom Finch, my first interview would be Larry Brown. He's got name recognition and honestly is a very good coach. He could teach Finch a lot. But, he's also a short-timer by age, and by reputation. He'd be like Adelman, except willing to have Finch as the top assistant. If it can't be Larry Brown, there are other old hands around the league who can play regent and tutor for a couple of seasons.

But, they are looking at younger guys breaking into head coaching. At this point, would they even accept Finch on their staffs? He's a walking Kiss of Death. Having him on the staff means you're a lame duck coach for 2 seasons and will be fired. That won't do much for your coaching aspirations. Frank and Casey, at least, are better off as assistant coaches than taking that job.

So, I don't expect Finch will ever be the head coach and I don't expect he'll even be an assistant coach, unless this whole Finch thing was a serious misunderstanding that Morey can explain away to give his new coach ease.

Concur. The point was to find a long-term alternative to what is only a short-term success. It's like Denver fans complaining that Galinari isn't as good a player as Carmelo Anthony. Of course not, but that wasn't really the point of the trade.

1 person likes this.
  5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I read it. I just used the language in your post that I bolded as an opportunity to weigh in on the larger issue of many posters complaining about the next coach (inevitably) not being as good as Adelman.

I didn't mean to pick on you. Sorry for any offense.

6. blackistan

blackistan Member

I'll take him over mchale anyday

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The thing is, according to reports by Feigen and others, Rick Adelman did want to come back and coach this "rebuilding" roster. He just objected to (a) shaking up his coaching staff, and (b) not having any say in "Battier for Thabeet" type trades.

My thoughts on the Adelman issue:

1. I agree it's not a matter of Adelman being let go because he's not good enough.

2. However, I also don't think it's a matter of Adelman being let go because he either doesn't want to participate in rebuilding or isn't good at coaching a rebuilding roster.

He said he enjoyed coaching the 43-win team last year. He also did quite well helping young guys likek Patterson, Brooks and Lowry grow.

3. I think the issue is really a "creative difference" rather than a matter of competence. It's more like a band breaking up-- the Police didn't let each other go due to lack of musical competence-- than a Seven-Eleven clerk being fired.

There are more than one way to run a basketball team, and Adelman and the front office simply didn't come to an agreement as to which way this franchise is to proceed. The front office seem to think they need to keep on turning over players in order to move forward, the coach prefers more stability. The front office wanted to make more use of the analytics data, Adelman prefers a more "old school" approach.

There's not an easy right or wrong between how each of them want to do things, but they could not come to an agreement as to which tune they would play.

2 people like this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Well said. We can have our own opinions on the matter, but we won't be able to tell with any certainty which was the "right" way to do things until it is all said and done. However, seeing how management, or rather the owner, isn't going to fire themselves anytime soon, what exactly do people expect them to do with Adelman, who's philosophy going forward seems to be the polar opposite of the organization's?

9. Nook

Nook Member

A couple of observations. First I respect your opinion, and I do believe that Adelman is one of the top 6-10 coaches in the NBA, and his staff is probably one of the top 2-3 in the entire NBA. His staff is just excellent. However, Adelman does not walk on water, the Rockets played poorly/mediocre for most of the season, also his rotation was not great, as the team played better after dealing some of Adelman's favorites.

The situation between Morey and Adelman is simple, they have different motivations. Adelman wants to win now, he wants to play whom he thinks gives his team the best chance to win right now. He doesn't look at his team and say "well at best we are a 50 win team".... he thinks he can go to war and beat anyone, and that is part of what makes him a very good coach, and someone I would love to play for.

However, the GM looks at this situation and wonders what is in the long term best interest. Morey looked at the Rockets and could tell that they were not going to win a title, no matter how hard this group played, or how well Adelman coached. The talent was not there, and a long, good defensive center was and is not the only thing keeping this team from winning a title.

Therefore, there is a divorce, and I do not think it is anyone's fault. I am surprised, like everyone else, that the Rockets want McHale... (although some of the comments from Morey retrospectively makes me think he wanted him all along).

Adelman did the admirable thing, he wanted to win NOW, and would go down with his team and his assistants. I respect him a great deal for it.

Morey did the hard thing, he let Adelman going, knowing it would be very unpopular and put his own neck on the line. The safe thing to do would be to stick with Adelman and continue being mediocre.

As for Alexander, I think he is taking too much heat.. from what I have been told, he was fine with Adelman as long as he was on board with the organizations plans.

10. MandM's

MandM's Member

if/when this guy gets hired by Rockets it will be the final stage of the end for them

Huge, dramatic failure.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Chris Finch is the coach of the future, but does not have NBA coaching experience, then I think teaming him up with someone like Kevin Mchale could actually work wonderfully.

On one hand you have the real X's and O's, hard working assistant coaches who draw up the plays, run the practices, and develop the players. Then you have the figurehead head coach whose main job it is to be the leader, manage the personalites of his players, manage rotations, manage assistant coaches, and be the spokesperson to the media.

Kevin McHale fits in perfectly for that role if you surround him with Chris Finch types who are the masterminds of gameplans, defensive schemes, etc. and you have him to sort of be the face of the coaching staff.

Im sure that McHale has some positive input on the coaching end, and as long as he is willing to work with the assistant coaches instead of against them it should work out just fine.

Chris Finch's resume speaks for itself. The man can coach and has been successful everywhere he goes. I assume the major reason for the front office is not giving him the job now is so he can get experience in managing superstar/primadonna personalities that he has not seen on other levels of coaching.

Also do not forget that there are other great benefits to McHale being involved in Trades/free agent signing etc. The guy is well respected and has great friendships with other GM's and owners accross the league. He can help get deals done that Morey wouldn't be able to do alone.

12. mazinger

mazinger Member

This? can't anyone see this? Danny Granger from Indiana/Larry Bird and number 2 pic/Rubio from the wolves?

GIT'R DONE MOREY!

[​IMG]

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If they really like this guy, they need to grow a pair and just hire him...have confidence in your hire, don't hedge.

DD

14. dobro1229

Because the 2011/2012 season is starting next week? The only rush I can see is to get the coach in waiting's opinion on this year's draft, which really isnt their job anyways. Seeing as though there wont be any NBA basketball till next January at the earliest, I think they have time.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

"Grow a pair" and "don't hedge" do not seem to be in the vocabulary of a management team who has prided themselves in prudence and methodical, calculated risk taking. In fact, "hedging", or giving yourself multiple options, seems to be a cornerstone in what has made Morey so successful. I have no doubt that they have full confidence in whomever they are to hire, or promote. However, conducting business solely with your "pair" in mind is not the best way to go.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The pint CX, is that you can always read between the lines with pretty much everything Les and DM do, they rarely do things up front etc.

Sometimes you have take a stand and pick a direction, right now, I have yet to see that done by this management team, they are always hedging.

Wasn't Les a Hedge fund manager, though? LOL...probably why they run the biz this way too......too bad for us fans.

DD

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This reminds me of the old Shaq quote, "I've won on every level except college and pro".

18. dobro1229

Didnt mean that he had success in the NBA or would surely have success in the NBA. However, he has had enough success in Europe and the D-League to warrant the claim that his resume is pretty impressive to this point.

Coaching career-

Sheffield Sharks-He started his career in England with the Sheffield Sharks of the British Basketball League, leading them to many titles during his tenure, and making the franchise the most successful in league history. After winning the Championship with Sheffield in the 1998-99 season, he was named as the BBL Coach of the Year.[1]

Giessen 46ers-He moved to Europe for a fresh challenge and to Germany, where he was the head coach of the Giessen 46ers in the Basketball Bundesliga. The team had a horrible year and Finch was fired after having a record of 4-13 and the team on the verge of relegation.

Euphony Bree-After his unsuccessful time in Germany Finch moved to Belgium, where he was the coach of Euphony Bree, winning their first ever league championship in 2005.[6]

Dexia Mons-Hainaut-In 2007, Finch became the coach of Bree league rivals Dexia Mons-Hainaut bringing several players with him. With Finch in charge Dexia Mons-Hainaut reached the final of the 2007-08 EuroChallenge losing to BK barons riga by a single point.[7]

Rio Grande Valley Vipers-In 2009, Chris Finch became the Head Coach of Rio Grande Valley Vipers, of the NBA D-League. Under Finch the Vipers went 34-16, first place in the Western Conference, and earned the franchise's first playoff berth. In the playoffs, the Vipers beat both Reno and Austin in 3 games, and swept Tulsa in the Finals to earn the franchise's first championship. Finch was named D-League Coach of Year.[8]

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm not sure it's a great idea to have your resume written by Tolkien when applying to be an NBA coach.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most if not all of this has been said, but what the heck?
    It's very simple. Yao is done and so goes our window in the near future. Adelman was brought in to coach a contender ....not to help rebuild the Rockets. He's a great coach but it's like trying to put a square peg into a round hole. He doesn't want it and the Rockets don't want it. The rest is just window dressing.
    Morey and Les (Finch and Kevin too) are following a plan that has likely been in place for quite awhile considering Yao's injuries. Along the way different scenarios were in play due to the fluid situation but once the trade deadline came, and it became apparent there would be no superstar THIS year, it was on to full rebuilding. I stand with CXbby and others who wholeheartedly agree with what the Rockets are doing. Let Kevin coach/ teach / help recruit with his connections and all the while Finch is being groomed. A full, well thought out organic rebuild from the sideline to the court....definite direction. We as Houston sports fans have had to display much patience throughout the years and I for one am prepared to exercise a little more ....In fact I'm relieved the Yao era is finally over (his new contract not withstanding). And I'm looking forward to watching DM continue to put this team together...watching it grow...and form it's own identity out there on the hardwood.

#40 Plowman, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011