1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Media Conspiracy] Matt Moore picks Rockets in Six

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, Apr 28, 2017.

1. onreego

onreego Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...kawhi-headlines-marquee-second-round-matchup/

Deuce, Fullcourt, Amel and 3 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fighting chance confirmed.

He's made a couple mistakes in there, when he talked about Capela.

#2 daywalker02, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

As long as Barkley doesn't pick us, we're good as gold.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Harden didn't really 'Struggle' against Roberson until he hurt his ankle.

Even then, it was more of a team defense issue. He got by Roberson mostly whenever he wanted.

Also, Harden can beat Kawhi off the dribble and Kawhi won't be guarding him for the entire game like Roberson did.

5. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

Agree-ish. He did beat Roberson regularly, but the way Adams filled the lane slowed James down just enough so that Roberson was able to recover on either James or the roll man. But Roberson's recoveries were elite and fairly consistently amazing. The key in my mind is not going to be Harden's defender as much as it is the paint fillers. In that vein, I think that James will be able to beat up on Pau and LMA fairly easily.

#5 glenadyll, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Wapzoe and AFS like this.
  6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I think Barkley has the Spurs in 5 so we're good.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's a good writeup. The Rockets absolutely can win this series, but they far too often beat themselves(or at least make their wins more difficult than they need to be), whereas the Spurs rarely make mistakes especially late in games.

jae713 and ryl like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Barkley said the Houston/OKC series was a pick'em lol.

9. jdhi

jdhi Member

Did Barkley pick OKC?

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This is also my prediction: Rockets in 6 or Spurs in 7.

Kawi (lol) will get his. LMA will get his. What cannot happen is Parker, Mills, and geriatric Manu having higher than their season averages. Parker scoring 27 yesterday just killed Memphis' chances.

Lawlruschang and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  11. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Disagree, I think we are better if we study what was effective agains James and the team. There are a few players that makes James work extra hard, and I have always believed Roberson was one of them (Tucker comes to mind).

I think that´s the key match up, how long are they willing to put Kawhi into James, and what are we going to do with Danny Green. They run him around screens when Harden is on him (Ariza on Kawhi and Bev on Parker) and when he is making 3s (which he did on game 5) we are going to have issues. Also they really have a 1-2 punch because I think Green also makes a good job on Harden. So basically, Harden has to own Danny Green early on offense, and be really good at his close outs.

That is why I love when we go small against them, they hate to go without their 4, they really don´t like to put Kawhi at the PF and when we go small, we can put EGo on Green and let Harden work on the "PF"

Madeinchin4 and ryl like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, the Thunder are longer and more athletic, the Spurs pose a different problem defensively in that they are just smarter.

I mean, you can go back and see the first 3 games and Harden's numbers during those games. Roberson wasn't stopping him at all, he got into the lane at will, that never really changed during the series. The team defense changed, they took out Kanter whose a poor defender, that was the biggest change.

Green is a good defender, but he isn't stopping Harden. The key is making sure Harden doesn't stop himself and if we can get Ariza and Anderson to actually hit some shots...and Capela to not rub his hands in babyoil before games.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Impossible to predict this series. If you get it right, it's because of luck not any kind of skill.

Too many games will come down to coin flips.

daywalker02, fryjol7 and Lawlruschang like this.
  14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm ready to watch the continuing saga of the ReNenessiance

Wapzoe likes this.
  15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I wouldnt be surprised if each team blows the other out by 20 at least once

16. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Maybe we have differente definitions. I don´t think there is anyone on the league that can stop Harden.

But I think there are some defenders that make him work extra or take something he likes out of it. I, for example, believe, It´s not that they really defended Ariza, they limited his touches so much, he did not get in rythm, and basicly took one Harden shooter out of the game.

Roberson took him to places where they could compete with us for the whole series but one game. I think Green is good enough to do that a couple of quarters and they bring Kawhi on Harden late in the game well rested, that makes me worried.

Remember the last game? the one we lost on the last second Kawhi block. He let Harden pass by and hunted the block. I don´t think he can do that if he is on James from Q2.

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

That´s why I love this series, I hope it is like that. Spurs games always bring our more focused games, and are really really good basketball to watch.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I get what you mean, Roberson is harder to get by and Roberson pressed him for most of the game too. I do get what you are saying that some guys make him work harder and Roberson is one of those guys.

Honestly, I'm more worried about who Harden is guarding more than anything...and Lamarcus Aldridge. He seems to really enjoy playing against the Rockets for whatever reason.

19. jayfree

jayfree Member

Rockets, right now, should be going over plays on how to beat the trap late in games and what to do when Kawhi guards him during that span. And NOT implore that strategy too early (Waiting until those final minutes). We all know, THAT is where this series will be won.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Anderson or Ariza or both have to show up from the 3 line. Seems simplistic or kinda obvious but the rockets have to be the offensive juggernaut we know. 40% 3 pt shooting will win the series.

I actually think james harden working the post is something they can work in and dominate with, force defenders to give shooters breathing room. Put kawhi in foul trouble. Show the Spurs something new, force them to adjust and put the rockets in the driver's seat.

I don't think having 2 forwards available is gonna cut this cake either, especially since Anderson has zero chance to guard kawhi. Ariza might have the defensive series of his life but I think Troy Williams is gonna have to make an appearance.

It's winnable, for sure. But it's gonna be to the rockets that bomb 3s, get fastbreaks and play hard nosed d. Not lazy passing, bricking and shooting our own feet. Yeah that's kinda obvious right?

touring_low and Hakeemtheking like this.