1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Media Conspiracy] ESPN projects Rockets 2nd in West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 3, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...otals-standings-every-nba-team-2017-18-season

I'm only posting the first 5 in the West...

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Based on some odd projection, not buying it.

3. jae713

jae713 Member

Melon will only drop us in the rankings -some clutchfans member

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not saying I disagree with the ranking itself, but the win projections seem awfully pessimistic somehow, not sure what formula they used.

GSW improved their roster and had 67 wins last season, yet are projected to only win 62 this time?

Rockets only gave up one great piece in Bev, Lou and a bunch of guys who never got real playing time. At the same time, we add one of the best players of all time in CP3, great complementary pieces like Tucker, Luc and Black, who address our past issues.

Still, we're projected to have the same winning percentage as last season? Doesn't make sense to me, unless the author reaaaally predicts the West to become a slaughterhouse.

5. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

6. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I think it's pretty easy to buy that we're the second-best regular season team, so I'm not surprised to see regular-season RPM metrics shake out such that we've got the second highest value. The issue, of course, is that there may be a little more volatility between our regular-season and post-season RPM metrics. Defensively I don't think it's that big of a deal, but our post-season oRPM probably drops a little more than the average team because we've been easy to game plan for. Hopefully that's getting fixed though.

7. justtxyank

He does project 10 teams over 40 wins (last year had 9 in the West) and that the 7, 8 and 9th teams will all be above 45 wins. Last year those three teams were 43, 41 and 40 respectively.

So bottom 2 seeds + first out in this projection have 136 wins and those spots last year had 124. That's 12 wins right there. In general while he doesn't project anyone to have a big year but Golden State, the overall win totals are actually up outside of the 1 seed.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is how you name calling it cautiously pessimistic than it is.......

The West is going to get tougher.......I cannot and will not predict anything next year.

West has been a slaugher house for years. Just pray that CP3 and Gordon are durable.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Not sure that i agree with the win totals but i absolutely agree with the seeding

justtxyank likes this.
  10. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

ESPN doesnt believe the rockets will finish 2nd in the west ahead of the spurs. They just put them their because they dont want a repeat of last year, when the rockets blow through and do WAY better than expected thus taking potential shine away from harden possibly winning an mvp. BTW you could argue the thunder have a more talented team than us.

11. justtxyank

Same here. I don't get into record predictions anymore, but seeding wise that looks accurate.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

As I thought, but somehow can't see this happening. Especially the Wolves and Denver projections seem extremely high, for teams with relatively little experience and leadership.

WC playoff race will be the most interesting it has been in years though, I'm excited to see how this plays out.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OKC has two superstars like us (or Allstars) but I still think our role players are more balanced even with Bev leaving.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Can you blame them? Remember the season we added Lawson? they projected us as top 3 since we made the WCF the year before only to be proven WRONG. This team is just unpredictable.

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

16. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Clippers 49 wins? Yeah right. Way under

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Zellweger looked better in the past than today.

alethios likes this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

[​IMG]
    Media conspiracy