1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mean Gene Okerlund passes away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jan 2, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

A big part of my childhood and many others. RIP to the greatest interviewer in the history of sports.

mikol13, Rockets34Legend and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Gene was a great interviewer and personality.

The guy was surrounded by literal freaks of nature and he always kept a professional demeanor regardless of what was happening around him and you always felt that he was the only guy not crazy in the room..... yet he never seemed judgmental and was always having fun.

Torn n Frayed and justtxyank like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I was torn on which Macho Man promo to go with. He was a wrestling staple in the 80's and 90's. Always managed to keep a straight face which astounds me to this day. Be it Macho Man's insanity, or Hogan's i'll tell you what's, or Ultimate Warrior's constipated nonsense.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Guy is a legend, such a memorable voice, a part of memorable WWF/E, WCW moments, good to read/hear all the good stories he was as a person behind the scenes, definitely will be missed

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I liken it to Barnum Bailey. You have to give credit to an industry that basically said we've been lying our ass off to you all these years, and well, who cares, you knew it. Let's keep this thing going. They were available at the right time, when television was expanding and they needed stuff, because before that, it seemed like they were basically unknown. Sort of like skateboarding. And then boom, they were everywhere. And we loved it. It was like Jerry Springer before Jerry Springer.

I cringe a little when these wrestlers go on to become keynote speakers letting everyone know they couldn't have become champion without putting in all the hard work, lol. Technically, it's kinda true, total showmanship, but really, that's not what you are selling when you say something like that.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow....RIP. WWF legend.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Mean Gene was a huge part of the growth and explosion of wrestling imo. Loved his interviews and the way he was able to play off of the wrestler.

Hall of Famer

RIP

9. body slam

body slam Member

no sure which it was but I always liked it when either Sheik or Volkoff would refer to him as Gene Mean

10. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Always wanted to see a fight between Mean Gene Okerlund and Gordon Solie. lol. You provided many a great moment, Mean Gene, but I think God just needed somebody to translate what the hell Randy "Macho Man" Savage was saying ... :D

12. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

MEAN WOOOOOOOOOOO BY GOD GENE!!!!

RIP