1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA system itself is in great need of adjustment.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Nov 29, 2018.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

MDA system itself needs luxury. MDA system is a bad fit for average or bad players. Without luxury, MDA system posted a .420 winning percentage over six seasons in New York and Los Angeles.

1. Mike D'Antoni's Lack of Emphasis on Defense
    The Houston Rockets fell from 1st seed and Western Conference finalists to the 14th seed in the course for one big reason: poor defense.
    Paul's defense has only gotten worse with age.
    Rockets are so dependent on Harden on offense. Given the mileage on his legs, Harden can only keep the Rockets competitive with his high volume shooting and it is hard for him to play defense.

Mike D'Antoni has One-Dimensional Offense
    Since 2016, every team in the league plays "Moreyball" and "MDA system" Three pointers are up drastically and the mid-range game is viewed as a last resort on offenses.
    Interesting stats:
    GS 14-19 feet shot attempts a game: 19
    Rockets 14-19 feet shot attempt a game: 2
    My best guess is that MDA tells players (including Melo) to shoot beyond 3 point line instead of mid range.

cerophilik likes this.
  2. BigBum

BigBum Member

I watched a lot games this season. I know that some of offensive systems for the Lottery teams (last season's) are more sound than MDA system this season.

Kings
    Grizzlies
    Mavs
    Clippers

bmelo likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you have a graph?

This sounds like a job for...

BICYCLE REPAIRMAN!!!

Ahem... I mean, @JCDenton!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

People have been saying this stuff about D'antoni for a DECADE. It's not happening.

D'antoni is too stubborn to change his ways but at least you know what you're getting when you hire him as a coach.

Also, after the Steph Curry Warriors won their first title, there was some article that said D'antoni felt liberated because they won with his "system" which was untrue because clearly the Warriors don't just jack up 3s and layups with ISO ball. There is a lot more ball movement in their system.

kjayp, smp, RyanB and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He changed his system for THIS team. He wasn't running dual suicide ISO in PHX or LA or spanking Boris Diaw for working the high post.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

if that's what your issue is then you should want to get rid of harden. You don't like iso ball? then don't sign iso players

Lawlruschang likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Do you honestly have to start a new thread every damn day?

Especially when most of the ones you start are pretty un-threadworthy??

8. hakeemthagreat

If you go back to Phoenix days, MDA's offense is actually quite complex. The problem is moreyball. Jacking up 3's and forcing layups or free throws has become gimmicky. You can't ignore open midrange shots, especially when ur struggling. Also not running any plays whatsoever has set us back. I REALLY wish we would use moreyball in stretches & go back to a more traditional offense. I trust MDA more than Morey with the on court decisions

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Interesting stat:
    GSW players who can shoot that shot efficiently: Curry, Durant, Thompson, Cook
    Rockets players who can shoot that shot efficiently: Paul (mostly injured)

I promise you that any player on the Rockets who can make that should would be encouraged to take it. We just don't have any of those players. Everyone acts like Steve Kerr is some kind of genius with all these midrange jumpers when the reality is that he has 3 of best jump shooters in the league all on his team.

10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

These recurring threads about our offense are tiresome. We are dead last in defensive rebounding. We’re giving up over 120ppg last three loses but we talking about offense. Do y’all even understand the game???

HP3, Lawlruschang, alethios and 5 others like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His system works great with the right parts......we had those parts last year, we then got rid of some key parts, and here we are...

DD

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol

MDA himself said he should have taken those PHX teams to the extremes we do now in Houston, but was too afraid to. He agrees with and believes in moreyball.

Also lol again for the notion that we don’t run any plays whatsoever.

Come on man.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wasn't the System just ride Harden n CP3 hard for 38-40 minutes while PJ was on the opponent's best guy and guys switch defended?

Every other guy shoot 3s.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Agreed. Need to adjust the players playing in his system.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Eras and time change rather quickly so he had to change but I wouldn't call him flexible now.

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

It makes sense on paper, right? If you'd like to shoot from 19 feet, you shoot from 21 feet (3 pts)

My fg % is about 80% from 19 feet and 20% from 3 point line. I feel my finger is different between them.

I thought I was the best shooter in the world a few years ago.

I have a free throw gamble with my friend before.

I make 19 of 20 free throw on the free throw gamble.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Agreed with DD this time. It's obvious that the problem this year is personnel. A system shouldn't have to break itself down to fit terrible personnel. Rather, guys with the right skills have to be found.

18. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

No it's not stupid. The problem is the lack of depth. If the Rockets can somehow flip some of the expirings and picks for some solid rotational pieces, the Rockets should be just as good as last year assuming they are motivated and healthy enough.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  19. apatel123

apatel123 Member

The NBA has adjusted. Now its time for us to adjust. Its just that plain and simple.

Lawlruschang and arabrocket like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

alethios likes this.