1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA "Our crowd doesn't usually get their till 8 and we didn't start playing till 8"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Feb 15, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes this is a hockey area, I went to a hockey game recently and it was steep like the Toyota Center.

When I went to a Nuggets game in Denver, that place reminded me of the Summit. Good food, lots of younger fans in the lower section.
    Not full of corporate essentials like bars, shops, and luxury suites.

What do you think brother?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I appreciate the reply. Honestly, I don't think the start time argument (I guess that's what we're having at the moment) is anything that's going to be something most of us can agree on. Well, perhaps if someone made a poll of the GARM about it, we might get a clue (public, of course!). We're all different. I'm a night owl and hate traffic, so I'd prefer later over 7pm, and while I don't have any way of proving it, short of a poll (anyone want to post a poll?), I think a majority would prefer 7:30 or even 8pm over the 7pm that we have. In my humble opinion, the lower bowl would be a fuller than it often is now at the beginning of games with a later start time, but again, it's an opinion.

Hey, OldYellowDog, I like your moniker! I've got a young yellow dog (she's 3), a blonde 70 pound Labradoodle. You name yourself after a dog you have or have had, or are you a blonde "old dog?" Reminds me of a line from a recent Bond flick. Wish I could remember it. :)

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm very surprised by your experience at the Pepsi Center. I go to 10-20 games a year there. The food is generally terrible imo (although beer selection is excellent for a sports venue). There might be lots of younger fans in the lower bowl, but that is mainly because the seats are dirt cheap (courtside can go for as little as $10) - I think that is a big problem with filling the lower bowl at Toyota Center, it's way too ****ing expensive - I spent the same on 1 ticket there as I did at 10+ at the Pepsi Center. I've also been there on a few occasions where they move everyone from the upper bowl into the lower bowl because attendance is so low haha.

HTM and Deckard like this.
  4. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Why doesn't Les just implement this next season and explain to the corporate people that they want to give more non-corporate fans a chance to buy these tickets? Is he really afraid that he will lose those corporate people all together? Or that the other fans that want to pay to be in the lower section won't actually buy tickets at his prices?

It would be interesting to see if it would work and more people buy tickets that show up to the games early or on time.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

That frozen custard place is good

6. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Tribute to our Old Yellow Lab, Sam passed away a few years ago. We now have a rescue Labradoodle that is black, guessing about 4-5 years old. Friend found our Rocky in shelter out of Montgomery County.

We are old timers, loved the Summit. I would love to see a poll. We almost always are in our seats at the start of game, regardless of start time.

Deckard likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! No kidding? Someday, I need to go to Denver and watch the Rockets. Assuming they're not all sold, I could get some great seats. A side benefit would be exploring the lettuce they grow there. I could post pictures in KC's thread! Maybe next year. We've been meaning to return to Colorado for a visit.

Thanks for the reply, OldYellowDog. I almost used the name of the best dog I've ever had for my moniker. He was also a Labradoodle I got from the pound in 1971, before folks started calling them Labradoodles. Incredibly smart. Had the best traits of a Lab and a Standard Poodle. I love Labs and have had them before. Like every other dog lover, I wish dogs lived much longer. To quote Jagger and Richards, what a drag it is getting old.

#107 Deckard, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    OldYelllowDog likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

Easy place to park at Greenway or park on the other side near Princes and walk across Edloe to get there.

The Summit.

OldYelllowDog likes this.
  9. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Tired of the lame excuses. I'm glad MDA called it out. Truthfully if Rockets ever move from Houston, which isn't impossible, it would absolutely be deserved and the Houston fandom's fault. Please don't ban or @ me for stating the obvious. Not Clutchfans type of fans. I go to games, you go to games. It's the big populous average knuckle dragging Texans fan type of Houston sports fan. The "I have no life insurance or retirement plan but I got a tricked-out tailgating trailer and Texans season tickets" type of bud light chugging fan applauding 15 years of decisively rolling out a non-competitive product. Cause "Football is King in Texas" boasted while brain matter literally is visible spewing out the ears of said chest-beater. My personal opinion, every single soul who spends 1 microsecond of their life next year consuming the 2017-2018 Texans product is a "Texans Karen". A part of the problem not the solution, the enemy not the ally. There should be a 'burn the mutha down" mentality against NRG. The excuses don't hold water. Some cities deserve an NBA team or once did and some don't.

DudeWah and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I like Pepsi Center.

tinman likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It is whining.

All new arenas have been designed similarly.... yet it doesn't automatically eliminate passionate fans who show up on time.

The issues with Houston aren't due to the design of the Toyota Center.

DudeWah likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its far easier to get in/out of downtown and the toyota center.

I loathed the greenway parking garage, especially when you had to back out of your spot into a quagmire of cars trying to all get out via the same ramp.

heypartner likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I wish I had the money to go. I usually go to 3-5 a year it's just not in the cards this time.

Oh and that's as savage as a coach is gonna get on the crowd. And he's not wrong so we kinda have to take it or start showing up at tip off.

DudeWah likes this.
  14. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Saw a stat on the local news that said the Rockets are like 26th in attendance this season, last year we were top 10 it said.

15. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

no, look at this NBA page and sort on home games http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It was like a bomb shelter. Horrible to get out of.

My STH buddy and I decided early on that we would park at the far end of the garage close to the Buffalo Speedway exit. Better to park close to the furthest exit (and walk), than park near the closest entrance. It was still tiresome though, as ppl always left the game extra early to start getting out of there.

I don't agree with this. Toyota Center uses an outdated Staples design....with two rows of Luxury Boxes as a wall between lower and upper (Staples as three rows). Many teams always had or are moving to club and loge's with one row of Luxury boxes....which Staples even has. Toyota Center has just lower bowl and upper with no concept of club or loge. Compare to new stadiums like Dallas, SAS, Orlando, Charlotte, Memphis, OKC. Sacramento is like Toyota Center, though. Barclay's not sure, but that houses the NY Islanders too, so it can pull off a wall of luxury boxes, along with the concerts and other events. But MSG doesn't have that wall of boxes.

17. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, if you go on stubhub and compare the lower bowl prices for the TC vs. Pepsi Center.... it ain't close at all.... TC tickets are crazy expensive.

We're talking like $90 vs. $300 here.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The TC Lower bowl, non baseline seats, has a club level concept with its own concourse.

In fact, it's probably the nicest area of TC that most of the general public never gets to see as you don't get to access it unless you're sitting in those sections.

Plenty of the arenas you mentioned above has the two levels of suites as well.

19. touring_low

touring_low Member

Maybe because that's where I reside? Not everyone lives around DT or in the loop. Also I don't go to games alone, I always go with my wife and son. Besides that, like everyone has said lower bowl tix are just too expensive. So until Les reduces the amount he sells to corporate those seats will stay empty at tip off.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is this why Coach only plays 8?