1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA "best way to get rest is have blowouts"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 7, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

MDA said something like this in an interview this year after we had a blowout and he managed to limit some guys minutes .

Why didn't he do it tonight ?

We were up 15+ the last 3 minutes .

3 minutes isn't a lot .... but it's more than 0

What if harden go hurt because he's loafing around and one the nuggets scrubs (playing hard because he wants to earn minutes ) accidentally injures him .

I know this is a nitpick .

But harden has been carrying a Herculean load and you finally have an opportunity to have him sit the final few minutes and you don't take it ??

Also , if he's so ****ing intent on playing knight back into form you think these last 3 mins would have been a good opportunity . It would have been a good opportunity for Clark .

What will it take for us to get harden a game where he plays less than 35 minutes ?? Fully healthy with a 40 point lead to start the 4th ?

cbs1507, ak99999 and kjayp like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Their top 3 players were on the bench with 4 minutes to go, not coming back in because they have a back to back. MDA is just stubborn about this. He feels like there's some imaginary public debate battle he's losing if he does it. I can't even understand why a coach would not want those 4 minutes rest for his main guys.

IvanLCPM, cbs1507, ak99999 and 2 others like this.
  4. Pringles

Pringles Member

Did you see the pace of the last 3 minutes? Nuggets already gave up, and Harden probably wanted to score 35 to prolong his streak.

Those 3 minutes did not add any miles to Harden's legs. No defense. Jacked up shots. etc etc.

5. Bids9

Bids9 Member

Harden was clearly looking for 35+

Agree with you though. Bank the win, and rest up for Milwaukee

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly this.

joeson332 and HP3 like this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We can't rest the rotations guys. The rest of the roster are repurposed sexbots Tilman bought to take the place of actual players that he would have had to pay.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

The dude's absolutely horrific with minutes management. If the Rockets didn't start winning again, I would question his position. Let's face it: the Rockets have been winning because Harden has been amazing.The Rockets were up 117-100 with like 2 or 3 minutes remaining. You really can't pull your starters then. Really?

By the way, when's the next time you guys think we'll see Gary Clark?

kjayp likes this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

same convo as last year.

our main guys will play their minutes no matter the score because of conditioning. in the WCF our guys could play 40+mpg because they were used to it. worked out really well until cp3's hammy gave out.

i wouldn't expect MDA to change anything at this stage of his career.

Rodman23 likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The nuggets pulled their starters .... usually end of bench guys are hustling to try and earn some minutes .

A scoring streak is less important than health.

Plus why do we want to pull harden out of the zone by letting him play lazy basketball .

kjayp and BasketMAD like this.
  11. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Excuses. They were up 117-100 with 2-3 minutes remaining. The bench has been a positive for most of the last 10 games. I'm sure they would've sustained a 17 point lead with that amount of time remaining. Okay, if they cut it down to 6 with 30 seconds remaining, you could bring in Harden. Fine.

Mathloom and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think it's MDA.

It's Harden. He wants to play for whatever reason.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Last year our guys didn't play anywhere near as many minutes .

CP3 missed games for rest

We had blowouts early in the fourth and MDA felt a little more comfortable because our record was great the whole year .

This year we started off poorly and our position (seeding ) is not nearly as strong .... therefore mike feels way more pressure to win games .... when MDA feels pressure he rides his guys .

I don't expect MDA to change his ways ..... but that also doesn't mean I think he's right

kjayp likes this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

I donno when is the next time you wanna bench PJ? :D

D-rock, snowconeman22 and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

MDA with another horrible minutes management, when is he going to be called out ?

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

I have stated it so many times before he doesn't know how to manage playing time there is so much talent on this team for anyone player to get too tired.

kjayp and BasketMAD like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree that its.mostly Harden.

But did you watch the garbage ball when Ennis, Knight and Nene were in the game???

Nook likes this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

MDA "best way to get rest is have blowouts, so i can sit the starters in the last 10 seconds"

This is true, but still, you never know what can happen, remember Luc trying to dunk on the Lakers scrubs and basically ruining his, and maybe our season. What if a Nuggets player goes under Harden to make sure he doesn't score and ends up injuring his ankle? I mean, it's unlikely to happen, but you just never know, why even take the risk? Makes no sense to me...

kjayp, BasketMAD and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. jcf

jcf Member

I saw him cheering from the bench.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok I don’t care how you feel about MDA...this is a stupid ****ing mentality especially since we were one game away from a finals and championship because one of our players broke down

kjayp likes this.