1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McNamara, Senior at Syracuse, Any chance of drafting him?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch City1993, Mar 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt it but from what I hear critics think he's all heart and not much skill. Is there any chance we could draft this kid? Luther Head was a real nice pick at no. 24, could McNamara fall that far too?

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Fall that far? Is this kid even going to get drafted. Does anyone really think that he can hack it in the league? Personally, I think this Big East Tournament will be the high-point of his basketball career.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

A second rounder

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The only reason he would even have a chance of making it is because the draft pool is weak this year because they no longer let high schoolers in. He is a fun college player to watch but not a pro. He probably wont ever be as good as Jon Barry is now...

5. booshan

booshan Contributing Member

Steve Kerr never averaged more than 9 pts or 3.2 apg, yet he played for 17 years and won 6 rings. I'd say he hacked it.
    Steve Blake is in his 3rd season (38th overall pick), I think he is now starting PG for the Jailblazers, with a modest 8.03ppg, 4.4apg avg. I'd say he's presently hacking it.

And to stick with the whole Steve theme -
    GMac's senior year at SU (BIG EAST)
    MIN PTS REB AST TO STL BLK FG% FT% 3P%
    35.5 16.4 2.7 6.0 3.4 1.9 .1 .357 .901 .340
    STEVE NASH's senior year at Santa Clara (WCC)
    MIN PTS REB AST TO STL BLK FG% FT% 3P%
    33.8 17.0 3.6 6.0 3.6 1.3 0.0 .430 .894 34.4

Not sayin he's the next NASH, but somebody please explain why he CAN'T "hack it"!!!!!!!!
    :confused:

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

McNamara looks like a classic 2nd rounder to me. But the Rockets will have a HIGH 2nd round pick so he could be available. The Hawks took Salim Stoundamire last year at the top of the 2nd round. That pick has value.

McNamara looks like he would be a decent backup PG. If you are only asking him to play 13mins a night and considering his shooting range and his competitive spirit, I think he is worth a look in the 2nd round.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I don't think he's much of an NBA prospect. To me, he looks tailor made for the college game and terrible for the NBA. But you never know.

8. rvpals

rvpals Member

I think anyone with long range shooting ability like McNamara that can knock down 3 pointers with hands in his face in pressure situation, deserve consideration from Rockets. We need some consistent outside shooters.

9. rvpals

rvpals Member

m_cable, I think you seriously underestimated McNamara. He will be drafted and he will be a positive addition to any team. He can shoot, he can handle the ball, he also has the fighting spirit like Luther Head, also very clutch and not afraid to take big shots.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

agree w/mcable. new age bryce drew is what i think of every time he hits a big shot

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

McNamara might be able to make it into the second round, but a team would have to be insane to take him in the first round, even the late first round.

I believe he is from the same area as Bob Sura, though.

12. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

doesn't he shoot like 34% from the college line for his career?

as for the nash comparison, he was a true point guard, not a combo. you can wait for a true point guard's shooting to develop. you can't draft a guy who shoots 34% for his shooting. all our shooters can shoot 34% from the college line and you see what most of them do in an nba game. keith "brick" bogans shot 38% from the 3 at kentucky.

13. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

A sharpshooter who shoots under 35% from the college line.

Defense? He hides it with the zone, and is probably going to be one of the worst defenders in the NBA.

Don't let this tournament fool you.

14. Driven

Driven Member

McNamera does not have the skills to be a PG and is too small to work off the ball.

If he gets drafted it will be late, late second round.

It's probably more likely that he's not drafted at all.

15. Driven

Driven Member

Demetris Nichols and Eric Devendorf will both be drafted higher than McNamara when they are done with college, probably along with Watkins and Roberts. Paul Harris and Mike Jones, Syracuse's top two recruits for next year, will be drafted higher, as well.

NBADraft.net does not have him on their board, nor should they.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It amazes me that people continue to look at 3-point percentage as the be-all, end-all stat when determining outside shooting ability. McNamara has horrible shot selection. Always has. He'll take a 25-footer if he has an inch, and routinely does heat check type shots. He's improved somewhat this year, but it's offset by Syracuse's lack of talent, which causes the focus of defenses to be on him and forces him to take some shots that he normally shouldn't have to. That said, if you actually watch his games, I think most would come to the conclusion that he's (arguably) the second-best shooter in the draft (after Redick). When he's open, his shooting is outstanding. He needs coaching and discipline, but his shooting is a huge attribute. Percentages in college are overrated.

I'd be surprised if he's a first round pick, but he's a solid second-rounder when it's all said and done, imo. Shooters like that don't come around all the time, and with a coach that teaches disciplined shot selection, he can be a quality NBA role player. Don't let the percentages fool you... that's one of the biggest flaws in draft analysis in recent years. There are a lot of factors that go into those numbers.

17. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

unless he's the next Steve Nash we shouldn't waste a pick on him. He's undersized and shoots like crap.

18. yobod

yobod Member

hes listed as a 2nd rounder actually

19. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

so you think that, unless we can draft a future league MVP, we might as well just give up the pick?

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought I was the only one. The guy puts up about 9 treys a game, which obviously is going to bring down his percentages.

He's a 90% FT shooter, and has been basically his entire college career. Mediocre shooters don't do that.