1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McNair meets with Carr's family

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Hmmmmm........ Is this just posturing to trade down or, are they really interested in drafting Carr?

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1222637

McNair gets a firsthand look at Carr
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

MOBILE, Ala. -- David Carr had made his pitches to the top of the Texans' lineup, and Tuesday night he was scheduled to face the cleanup hitter.

Texans owner Bob McNair arrived Tuesday afternoon, just in time to watch Carr's Senior Bowl South team practice at a local high school.

Asked about his motivation for winging over in his private jet to watch a workout, McNair smiled and said: "I came to see the quarterbacks."

With all due respect to David Garrard, Kurt Kittner, Josh McCown, Antwaan Randle El, Rohan Davey and Patrick Ramsey -- the other quarterbacks who will play in Saturday's game -- McNair came to see Carr. McNair's visit, as well as what he had to say about Carr, enhanced speculation the Fresno State quarterback is the Texans' top target in the April 20-21 college draft.

"Our coaches and scouts have met with him, and our people came away very impressed," McNair said. "He's a pretty solid kid. It's nothing formal; I just wanted to meet with him. I wanted to see some other (position) players, but quarterback is the top-rated position. If we keep the No. 1 pick, we're probably going to use it on a quarterback."

Judging by the way the Texans have snuggled up to Carr and his family this week, it's no secret who that quarterback would be. McNair talked about horse racing with Carr's father, Roger, and met Carr's wife, Melody, and their son, Austin.

Carr, 22, is a devout Christian who has a reputation for being a model citizen, qualities extremely important to McNair. If the Texans don't use the No. 1 pick on Carr, a scenario that seems more unlikely each day, it won't be because of a character issue.

Nevertheless, McNair is aware the draft, particularly as it pertains to quarterbacks, can be an expensive hit-or-miss proposition. Last year's top pick, quarterback Michael Vick, got a six-year, $62 million contract from the Falcons, the richest rookie deal in NFL history. Vick's deal called for $15.3 million to be guaranteed over the first three years, including a $3 million signing bonus.

Needless to say, if Carr is the first pick in the draft, the price of doing business won't go down.

"We know that quarterback is the toughest position, especially when you're talking about a rookie," McNair said. "That's why you go through all the preparation and do all the work. A lot has to go into if you're going to use the No. 1 pick and spend a lot of money.

"We go through this every day in horse racing. You might spend money on some horses, and some of them don't run a lick. They don't always work out favorably for you. I've always been a risk taker in all of my business, but it's not as big a risk when you have some familiarity. I don't take risks in areas where I have no knowledge."

That's why the Texans' Senior Bowl contingent of 29 is one of the largest at the event.

Although it appears the Texans are leaning toward drafting Carr, one of the decisions they will have to make is whether they want to keep the top pick in the draft or trade down to acquire more picks.

"We have the first pick this year," McNair said, "and there is a good chance we'll be drafting near the top next year. If someone wants that pick worse than us, they'll get it, but right now we plan to use it. The question is, how do we get the most quality players out of those picks? If we could get multiple quality picks for our pick, that's something we would have to consider."

The Texans on Tuesday signed three more free agents -- linebackers Shane Elam and Jason Lamar and kicker James Tuthill -- increasing their roster to 22 players.

Elam played in four games for the San Francisco 49ers as a rookie this season. Lamar played with the Canadian Football League's Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2001, leading the team with 96 tackles. Tuthill was waived by the 49ers in training camp and spent one week on the Green Bay Packers' roster.

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Saw Mel Kiper on ESPN tonight. He called Carr "easily" the most impressive player in the N-S workouts... or words to that effect.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

By far the most revealing quote that I've seen. I read that this morning, and came away thrilled. I like both Carr and Harrington, and Carr really sounds like he's a great person in addition to all his talents on the field. I wouldn't mind that pick at all. It would be great if we signed Trent Dilfer, Carr's buddy, to play QB for a couple of years while he learns...

4. Nomar

Nomar Member

Josh McCown. Cool. Another distant relative of mine who played quarterback. Remember Randy McCown at TAMU a few years back?

At least Im pretty sure were related. I mean McCown is an uncommon clan name. Oh well.

5. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

How about Jeff Blake? I saw somewhere that he was on the list. He's had some pretty good stretches. I also read where Seattle was wavering on whether to let Dilfer go or resign him to be the starter.

I'm hesitant to take a possible franchise quarterback, unless we go after some stud offensive linemen in the expansion draft. Even if they cost a lot (Boselli, Roaf, etc....), it'd be worth it to protect the financial investment that will be put into the #1 pick, if he's a quarterback.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Maybe it is just posturing. I'm not sure Carr is a franchise qB, but I'm pretty sure he's not the best or most coveted prospect in this class. If we're gonna take Carr, trade down.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I like Blake, but if you take him the odds are you won't get Roaf. Each team has the opportunity to claim back a player after one is selected from their team. If we took Blake from the Saints, I highly doubt we get the opportunity to claim Roaf as well.

gr8-1 Maybe it is just posturing. I'm not sure Carr is a franchise qB, but I'm pretty sure he's not the best or most coveted prospect in this class. If we're gonna take Carr, trade down.

Are you suggesting posturing in taking Carr #1? Cause I highly doubt the mere interest in him is fake. From everything I've read, McNair, Capers, and especially offensive coordinator Chris Palmer love the guy. He has the ability to make almost any kind of throw, he's smart, and is a great guy around the community. I think the reptuation on him not being a franchise QB may come from the fact that he played at a relatively small college. He has all the physical tools to be a star quarterback, and is pretty smart at reading defenses as well from what I've heard. His performances at the Senior Bowl practices this week have reportedly been outstanding, and supposedly he's a definite top 5 selection. I wouldn't trade down past pick three, if we want to be assured of landing him...

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

to where? both detroit at #3 and buffalo at #4 plan to expose their starting QB's in the expansion draft; i'm not sure he falls out of the top 5.

9. Band Geek Mobster

I'm thinking it's just a bluff by the Texans in hopes of the Bills making an offer for the #1 pick.

Every interview I see with Palmer or Casserly seems to involve David Carr being mentioned and praised.

They just seem way too obvious, which makes me think they're trying to bluff the Bills into trading for their pick.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hope so...I really don't want to take a QB with the first pick.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

That's what gets me. Most guys who play poker don't reveal their hand. I mean, this isn't like the Cowboys/Aikman and Duncan/Spurs. Carr is not the obvious #1, imo. With guys like Peppers and Henderson and McKinnie (all 3 have been called franchise players), I would have a hard time picking Carr over any of them. I'm a fan no matter what, but Carr at #1 could be a reach.

12. Hey Now!

we have some contacts in mobile this week, and one sent the following to us tonight: "The Texans were ALL OVER Carr from day one. He surely looks to be the man judging by the way they were following every move he made. He has looked VERY GOOD too."

if this is all a ruse, the texans are going WAY out of their way; i mean, above and beyond any smokescreen the world has ever known.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

There are plenty of QB's in the NFL who can make good starting QB's . Lets take a look at the Jacksonville/Carolina Scenarios

Jacksonville - Got incredibily lucky with backup QB Mark Brunell and castoff WR's Keenan McCardell and Jimmy Smith, waited 2 years before drafting a franchise RB in Fred Taylor, used the draft to build a defense with Hardy , Brackens and a Young Secondary
    Built there entire offense in The Expansion Draft and Free Agency. Result - A Well built team that played well for its first 5 years until The Salary cap inflicts its painful blow this year.

Carolina - Drafted An Offense with Kerry Colins a Tim Biakabatuka, Can you name a WR from the original Panthers roster? I sure cant, maybe Mark Carrier or something. Used Free Agency to build a defense of Old Veterans like Sam Mills, Eric Davis, and Kevin Greene , Worked for 1 year and now they are rigth back where they started

14. Band Geek Mobster

Ric, isn't the reason the Texans were all over David Carr is due to the fact that none of the other top pick candidates were in Mobile for this game?

If I recall correctly, McKinnie isn't going to play in the Mobile game, Harrington's hurt, and of course Peppers isn't going to play in the Senior Bowl, so that leaves the Texans with just Carr to test out...

I do know that Chris Palmer has apparently been to A LOT of Fresno State games to see Carr in action...so it might actually be true that the Texans are extremely interested in Carr.

I don't know, I didn't really watch much of David Carr, but he sounded really starstruck in the interview I heard of him, and he didn't seem to have the confidence that you'd think one of the top QB's in college football would have...

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The QB depth is supposed to be deeper next year anyways, so if Detroit or Buffalo are high on Carr, I say lets deal. It really isn't going to matter who plays QB next year...right? Realistically how many wins will the Texans have? They are a lock to have a top 5 pick in 2003. We use our # 1 next year on a QB - we will have time to evaluate more and possibly even better prospects. Even if we end up drafting Carr, I don't see him gaining experience on the field unless its an emergency situation or garbage time.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I dont think we will be the worse team in the league. Given that this year there were two absolutely horrible teams in Detroit and Carolina (and theyll probably be one or two again next year) and that the people behind the Texans so far seem fairly competent, I just dont see us being the worst team in the league.

I have no problem who they pick. If its Carr, great. I hope they take a couple of the expansion offensive lineman than, though. If its someone else, thats great too. In either case, no expansion team in football has won a championship in any short period of time and I dont expect that to change, so regardless of who we pick it will be a slow process.

17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This raises a important question...if the Texans do draft a QB (let's assume Carr)...do you sign another QB to run the offense for a few years (like Cat mentioned, a la Steve McNair) or do you throw him into the fire and steepen the learning curve (a la Troy Aikman).

Obviously, Steve McNair is no Troy Aikman. But I feel that McNair's slow development is due to his standing on the sideline for a few seasons. Aikman, on the other hand, had to learn everything on the run...and we all know how well that worked out. Of course we are in a different world with the Texans being an expansion franchise. With Carr, there would not be the abundance of talent around him like there was with McNair and Aikman (a few years into his career).

I would love to see Carr thrown into the fire and learn the Texans' system and NFL football on the run. I don't think it would benefit him much from sitting on the sideline watching an older, experienced QB run the show.

18. Hey Now!

that's certainly a valid point -- of the players in mobile, carr is probably the only one there with first pick credentials.

but, having said that, the texans aren't obligated to wine and dine anybody, so i doubt they'd waste their time and energy on carr just because he's the only viable prospect there... so there must be genuine interest.

i mean, i'll be shocked if they don't select carr, assuming they hold onto the first pick.

the bottom line (i guess) is that he wasn't starstruck when he led fresno state to three consecutive wins, on the road, against ranked opponents earlier this year.

i understand the doubts/risks surrounding carr. but the texans have had nothing to do but scout players the last two years, so i find it hard to believe they don't know exactly what they're doing. and if they think carr's the man, i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

and now that the expansion list is leaking out... the texans have a chance to lay down a pretty solid foundation this year and they'll have a QB available to them who would be the perfect mentor... iow, i think they can take a bit of a chance on carr, especially since there's no one else available who's heads-and-tail better.

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Here we go again... :D

I have a problem with this, because there are two guys I can think of who are heads and tails above everyone else -- Julius Peppers and Bryant McKinnie. Hell, Mike Williams and John Henderson might be better talents than Carr, too. Why take a chance on a QB with the #1 pick when there are (relatively) sure bets out there for the taking. If this franchise starts out with a Ryan Leaf/David Klingler QB, it'll be devastating for the Texans, to say the least. To be fair, I'm not saying David Carr is another Ryan Leaf. Far from it, actually. I think he's a great talent and would be a major asset to this team. I just don't think he's worthy of the #1 pick in the draft. If the Texans want to trade with any of the other top 5 drafting teams and still nab Carr, I'd feel a whole lot better about that. We could use the extra picks. As an expansion team, we should take the best player on the board (or at least one that fits in the Texans' offense and defense system, which may rule out Peppers...).

Carr is the #1 QB prospect, but overall, he's ...
    #5 on Mel Kiper's "Big Board." (Pepper is #1)
    #9 on Sportingnews.com's Super 99 list. (Peppers #1)
    #13 on the Great Blue North draft report. (McKinnie)
    #7 on nfldraftblitz.com's Top 150 list. (Peppers)
    #3 on the thehuddlereport.com's top list. (Roy Williams)
    #4 on NFL Draft View's top list. (Peppers)
    #6 on AOK's Top 100 list. (McKinnie)
    #7 on Couch Scout's top list. (Peppers)
    #11 on Football Future's Top 20 Prospects. (Peppers)

... And so on. See a trend? Let's start off on the right foot. The first year is no time to take risks, IMO. When I see these guys in person in May, I might kick myself for taking this stance on Carr.... but not this moment. I say take the (relatively) sure thing.

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a hypothetical.

Most agree that Carr is the best QB in this draft. Many agree that Carr, however, is not really number 1 pick material. But as someone else mentioned, there is a good chance that either Detroit and/or Carolina will be worse than us next season, so we won't be getting the #1 pick. If there is a QB that is much better than Carr in next offseason's draft, will he be available at the #3 pick or so? If he will not be, isn't it in the Texans' best interest to go ahead and take Carr?