1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Gragic, as a starter, averaged 3.2 turnovers as McHale's guy. Again, wtf is McHale talking about.

2. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

that and who knows if he can even coach! Pop had a ring by the time Parker showed up. Like I said before....if McHale starts making Lin meditate should we all jump up and say "great move!! That's what Phil made the Lakers and Bulls do!!"

3. Hughesy

Hughesy Member

To any player, that is a very crude thing to say and not appropriate for the public as stunts like this is very damaging to the integrity and professionalism of what Mchale needs to show more of.

I don't mind Mchale being hard on Lin, but surely, his criticism needs to be more constructive, and always absolutely objective.

1 person likes this.
  4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

What do you mean?

5. OpportunityCost

Doesn't everyone at times make "dumb" decisions. He can't be perfect.

6. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

right on. calling Lin selfish, someone who wants to get his points over wins? WTF?

7. OpportunityCost

McHale is a LOH :p

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

I really didn't think McHale or Sampson had anything against Lin, until today. There is no hope for Lin here.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Phill jackson calling out Kobe:

http://http://bleacherreport.com/articles/561805-phil-jackson-calls-out-kobe-bryant-is-the-end-near-for-the-los-angeles-lakers

Doc Rivers calling his team selfish, mainly the big Three:

http://http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2011/03/celtics_coach_doc_rivers_calls.html

Yes it's two years ago but you said never

And then there's mcgrady calling his team selfish back in the orlando days with the Coach agreeing with him (not calling a single player out though)

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It's like he's holding Lin to an impossible standard just so he could say, "I told you Lin was bad..."

1 person likes this.
  11. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Go home, McHale, you're drunk.

Lin's 5 best scoring games this season were 38, 29, 28, 22, 22.

He averaged 2.4 turnovers in those games.

12. LoLin

LoLin Member

Bottom line, Lin needs to make better decisions when playing PG on this team. He's not playing for D'Antoni system that suits an aggressive PG.

I want to see Lin taking shots when the defense give him open look or when he has clear LOS to the basket. I have issue when seeing him:

1) Drives and picks up the ball too soon, tries to pass, resulting a TO
    2) Drives into traffic, jumps, then tries to pass, resulting a TO
    3) Drives baseline, gets trapped and picks up the ball with nowhere to go, resulting a TO

He has capable teammates, he has to improve making better passing decision. That said, I think McHale should've not said that in public.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

14. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

How can a coach call out his pg in public....selfish? Really? :mad: As far as I know, many here encourage him to be more selfish when it comes to shooting. Well, now we know that had he done that, he would have even a much shorter leash than what he has now.

A comment coming from a coach....a COACH! :mad:

1 person likes this.
  15. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

Id agree with you but what I take issue with in his statement is that McHale is implying that Lin would rather get his points at the expense of the win.

I've said it before that Lin and Asik are on much shorter leashes than anyone else. They get benched very quickly after a mistake. Like others have said though, we've never seen McHale go off on the other guys on the team like he did Lin in the Clippers game.

Yes Harden is our star and a great player. He puts up lots of points and has his own large share of TOs at times. (I especially notice his TOs cuz hes on my fantasy team.) But it seems like Lin is the one that gets publicly criticized.

The criticism may be fair and it may not be fair but it is inappropriate for the coach to say that to the media

1 person likes this.
  16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Somebody tweet this to Morey. Lin turns the ball over less when he's aggressive, not more.

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

18. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

First Jackson never called Kobe directly in terms of looking out for his points over wins, trying hard to take over is different, and second team selfish is different than calling ONE player out. No one said coaches don't call out their team but single out one player for being selfish and choosing points over TOs is BS and is never done in a public forum like this.

And yes, he did call Lin out on choosing scoring over TOs and as a result win. No ifs and buts.

19. PRaZe

PRaZe Member

I think Lin said that he does not care about his turnovers as long the team wins but McHale is actually helping lin by saying that He rather have Lin with less turnover and win. (It benefits Lin in a long run so that he does not have bunch of turnovers in his career and help the team with less turnover)

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Wait, this is wrong. A missed shot can be rebounded by your own team in the form of an offensive rebound. A turnover goes to the other team 100% of the time.