1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady Wins Over Fans, but Knicks Lose Game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketman2000, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/sports/basketball/21knicks.html?ref=sports

It took Tracy McGrady just a few purposeful steps to earn an ovation, a few minutes to find his balance and one half of a basketball game to win the unadulterated adulation of a star-hungry fan base.

Tracy McGrady and the Thunder's Serge Ibaka on Saturday. McGrady had 26 points in 32 minutes in his Knicks debut.

It will take a few more days, at least, to deliver his first victory as a Knick, but that is surely coming, too.

McGrady scored 26 points in his Knicks debut Saturday night, two days after being acquired in a trade that was supposed to be about the future but has already made the present more compelling.

McGrady gradually wore down, and the Knicks ultimately fell to the Oklahoma City Thunder, 121-118, in overtime. But it was an encouraging start.

It had been two months since McGrady’s last game for the Houston Rockets, and 12 months since he underwent knee surgery. But he played 32 minutes, lifted his teammates and energized Madison Square Garden.

He played longer and better than anyone expected, including himself, finishing 10 for 17 from the field, with 5 assists and 4 rebounds.

“It really felt good,” said McGrady, who started at shooting guard and was showered with cheers all night. “I think it helped my confidence moving forward as far as mentally knowing that I can go out there and play a significant amount of minutes.”

Eddie House, another trade-deadline pickup, scored 24 points off the bench as the Knicks (19-35) lost their sixth in a row. David Lee had 30 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists.

Russell Westbrook led the Thunder with a near triple-double: 31 points, 9 rebounds and 10 assists. Kevin Durant, the rangy All-Star forward who modeled his game after McGrady’s, had 36 points.

“He reminds me of myself when I was younger,” said the 30-year-old McGrady.

McGrady’s biggest blemish was a pair of missed free throws with 1 minute 5 seconds left in regulation and the Knicks leading by 103-97. Those misses proved costly after Durant tied the score, 105-105, on a 3-pointer with six seconds to play. Danilo Gallinari missed a deep 3-pointer at the buzzer.

McGrady played just 19 seconds in overtime, bowing to fatigued legs, while Durant took over and sealed the game’s outcome with 7 points.

House gave the Knicks their last lead of the night, 118-117, with 30.7 seconds left in overtime. But Durant answered with a jumper and two free throws to take the game.

Coach Mike D’Antoni said McGrady “kind of ran out of gas toward the end,” but he gushed over his basketball I.Q. and deft passing.

“He’s been an All-Star for a long time,” D’Antoni said. “I expect him to play at that level or get back to that level at some time.”

No matter what happened, it was McGrady’s night.

With 7:55 left to play, the Knicks trailing by 5 and McGrady on the bench, a pocket of fans began a chant of “We want T-Mac!” Within seconds, the entire arena was booming with the request.

When McGrady tried to check in with 6:54 to go — only to be turned back by the referee Ron Garretson — the fans booed in displeasure.

“I haven’t felt that good in a while, to really be received that way, to hear those chants,” McGrady said. “It really gave chills down my spine.”

Despite playing just six games in the last year — and none since Dec. 23 — McGrady showed little rust and displayed no problems with the knee. He beat defenders off the dribble, drove the lane with confidence and finished with grace. He found open teammates and slipped seamlessly into the offense — all without a practice.

“I felt good going to the basket,” McGrady said. “I felt explosive.”

Health issues aside, McGrady is the most dynamic player to wear a Knicks jersey in at least 10 years — and certainly the most electrifying since Latrell Sprewell was shipped out in 2003.

A seven-time All-Star, McGrady is also the first true go-to player the Knicks have had since D’Antoni became the coach. His confidence was palpable and contagious. He had 19 points by halftime, including the Knicks’ last 7 points of the half.

McGrady was tentative only for the first few possessions, when he passed up a few opportunities to drive and instead passed the ball.

“It felt foreign to me when I first stepped out there,” he said. “I didn’t know if I was going to have my timing. I had the jitters. I mean, I haven’t played in so long, you know?”

Last week’s trades made the Knicks smaller, faster and more entertaining. House brought his unique swagger, his 3-point stroke and his championship pedigree from Boston. Sergio Rodriguez was as quick, as shifty and as unpredictable as advertised.

With a new lineup came a new introduction routine. Wilson Chandler and Gallinari — who represent the Knicks’ future — were first, while McGrady got the coveted final spot. The cheers began before the public-address announcer even spoke his name.

Fans cheered House and Rodriguez with almost as much enthusiasm. The pair repaid the adoration quickly, House with a 3-pointer on his first shot and Rodriguez with a sharp behind-the-back pass to Lee for a layup.

A playoff berth is probably out of reach, but the season has become interesting again. A legitimate star is wearing a Knicks jersey, even if it lasts only 28 more games.

“I’m excited for what he gave us,” Lee said.

2. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I have given McGrady the benefit of the doubt through the years, and in general have been a fan of his style, but after watching the 4th quarter of the Knicks game last night, I was completely annoyed. I would put it in the same category as the annoying roommate that you have had for way too long... the one with bizarre little habits that are fine for a year, but after a couple years start to drive you completely insane.

1) McGrady raises his hand on the court more than ANY PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA. This guy can't be without the ball for more than 5 seconds on offense without calling for the ball.
    2) McGrady stops the flow of the game on every offensive possession. If he has the ball, he walks it up the court and lets the defense set. If the point guard has the ball (despite his hand raising), he walks behind the point guard and trails the play so the offense can't be initiated.
    3) All this eliminates the option of scoring easy baskets before the defense sets. It will be interesting to see if D'Antoni can break him of this, because his entire philosophy is about scoring easy baskets.

That said, it was nice to see his beautiful interior passes from the 3-point line. He sees the court better than any other player in the NBA in my opinion. Unfortunately for the Rockets, and now maybe the Knicks that it comes with so many bad habits and psychological baggage.

I wonder how long it will take before the newness of the acquisition wears off and people in NY start noticing this stuff.

3 people like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

NY is not known as a Patient town

Rocket River

4. ApuN

ApuN Member

LOL!

His next game prolly.

Just as quick as they were to fall "in love" with the guy, they'll be just as quick to wack him upside the head when the excuses start piling up.

5. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Of course they're going to love him after last night. He's bringing attention to thier team, but its wait and see hoe far he goes and how much he can keep up with that offense.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Honestly I would rather have McGrady initiate all the offense of NY while he's there. Rodriguez is good, but he doesn't create like McGrady. Even if he is a ball hog, and I concede that it is really annoying, he is their best facilitator. I hope he gets better as the season winds down

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

Bring bak tmac!!!

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My god, NYK fans already won over? LOL.

How desperate are they?

I hate to break it to them, but the moment Tracy gets his new contract, he's going to go back to his same old lazy, pouty self.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If by patient you mean the kind who lives in mental hospitals. Then yes, NY is that kind of town.

10. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

T-mac just has that kind of game and aura about him that wins over fans easily. I'll admit even I was impresed by his debut last night. He was a superstar for a reason...but just don't expect him to step up when the pressure builds.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

When McGrady is on his game, there are very few players that are more fun to watch. Its just that as the years have gone by, those moments where he's "on" have become more and more infrequent.

13. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

Maybe after they get James. XD
    I still suggest that should not put attention on TMAC anymore if you are not a TMAC fans. ^^

14. amaru

amaru Member

look at their record post Ewing.

They suck!

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's New York. They'll start calling for his head in a couple weeks.

16. dianap07

dianap07 Member

ugh, i seriously cringe at hearing his name now. let him have his moment. It won't last long...and new york won't be easy on him.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's wearing Marbury's number.

How fitting!

18. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Would anyone here resign him? play him at SF trade Battier, Scola,Armstrong plus Brooks for CP3?

19. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

T-mac will be fine and things will be fine for him the rest of this season. NY won't turn on him because he can ACTUALLY PLAY! He has god given talent and non of you can take that from him. He's a @sshole and arrogant....i'll give you that, i'm just annoyed because if the Rockets just let him play, it could have bought us 5-6 more wins. I'm still happy with the trade....don't get me wrong, but at least use the talent until we unload him.

Don't tell me it wouldn't work out either, because 8 mins is a joke and that's for real. It got personal with Tracy and the Rockets and that's a shame. It's not all on Tracy and it's not all on the Rockets....it just could have been handled better IMO. There was NO way he would have made the team worse by playing.....he was by far the best playmaker we had even if he couldn't score 26 a night. It just irks me a lil

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

HONEYMOON OVER.

Tmac - 15 points
    Knicks - 67 TOTAL POINTS
    Lose to Milwaukee
    Tmac bangs knees during game and says he won't be playing tomorrow.