1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady to sign with Miami?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Cougar Brass, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A phone call from Alonzo Mourning got Tracy McGrady checking out different parts of Florida.

The Toronto forward told The Orlando Sentinel on Tuesday night that he has decided where he wants to play. The Orlando Magic might not like the answer.

McGrady, who has been heavily pursued by the Magic, got a call from Mourning -- the Miami Heat center -- and it might have made all the difference.

"Things change," McGrady said. "He said some things to me that made me think."

McGrady said he will announce his decision Wednesday.

"It'll end the suspense," he said.

Magic General Manager John Gabriel confirmed that the Heat are pursuing McGrady in a sign-and-trade deal.

The trade would send point guard Anthony Carter and power forward P.J. Brown to Toronto. The deal has not been completed because of salary-cap concerns, but it's nearing completion, NBA sources told the Sentinel.

The Magic still hope McGrady will change his mind or the deal will fall through. Free agents can't sign contracts until Aug. 1.

Grant Hill already committed to the Magic. Tim Duncan said Tuesday he's staying in San Antonio.

If McGrady ends up in Miami, the Magic are expected to push hard to sign Charlotte Hornets swingman Eddie Jones. After spending Tuesday in Miami, he'll be in Orlando on Wednesday.

------------------
    "Play that funky music white boy."

Six West

2. ScreamingRocketJet

Firstly, is McGrady a freak or what? Seriously, he goes to Orlando and says he will be there...goes to Chicago and says he wants to be there because he will be the number one man...and now it seems certain he is bound for Miami. The fact that he has contradicted himself every five minutes illustrates how immature the kid is. I guess talent just overrides everything nowadays...

Secondly, that really changes several things quite dramatically:

1. Miami are suddenly a contender...particularly if they add Rider as it appears they will. My gut instinct says he will play to his potential under Riley. A line up of Hardaway, Rider and McGrady suddenly gives Zo some serious support for a change.

2. Toronto would suddenly have an even greater surplus of Power Forwards...what price Oakley to the Lakers in a sign and trade for Oakley or Brown?

As interesting as it is surprising...

Then again, he will probably sign to stay in Toronto at the rate he changes his mind :)

------------------

3. ScreamingRocketJet

Just read that back and noticed my typo!

Of course, I meant what price Oakley to the Lakers in a sign and trade for Rice?

Toronto would have PJ Brown, Davis, Oakley, and Willis who are all predominantly PF's.

They still have Michael Stewart also, right?

------------------

4. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

1. McGrady is definately showing his immaturity with his constant mind changing. Of course it's his prerogative, but don't do it in the press. He'd be better served answering press questions with ambiguity rather than child like fickleness. Didn't he take the required NBA class, Cliches 101? Hey McGrady, the proper response is -- "I'm still waying all of my options."

2. Mobley Factor: If Toronto gets Anthony Carter, then perhaps that will dampen their interest in Cuttino Mobley. Of course that leaves Orlando and Chicago with one less premiere free agent, and perhaps one step closer to the despiration that might prompt them to pursue Cuttino themselves.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

[This message has been edited by hoopjunkie (edited July 12, 2000).]

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

I don't think Rider is going to Miami. He wouldn't be starting and I don't think he would be a happy camper being a bench player. The Heat wouldn't really need him either. Mashburn gives them just as much scoring without the headaches.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Rider would be the starter in Miami.

------------------
    Just because you're white and play basketball doesn't mean you're a Matt Bullard clone, despite idiotic accusations to the contrary.

visit www.swirve.com

7. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Better to be a significant bench contributor in the NBA, than a starter in the CBA [​IMG]
    There's just not that large of a market for headcases anymore. [​IMG]

------------------

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think Chicago will be the only one with a chance at Mobley , If Orlando wants Eddie Jones they Will Have Armstong and Jones at the guards and they wouldnt need Mobley .The Bulls have the best shot at Cuttino

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

9. alaskansnowman

I dont think that Miami will instantly be a contender with the signing of Mcgrady.

First of all, the Heat dont have a good backup point guard because of the trading of Anthony Carter. If Hardaway gets injured AGAIN, they wont even have a good starting point guard.

Second of all, the whole Isiah Rider thing is still very uncertain. He might not even get signed. I agree that IF he is signed, then Rider will finally play to his potential, but that's just my opinion and it might not happen. The problem with Rider is he's a ball hog. With a Hardaway, Mcgrady, Mashburn, and Mourning, how will this boy get his shots?

SO, if Hardaway stays HEALTHY, and if Rider signs and actually doesnt screw up everything, then the Heat will be some serious contenders I think. With Mash, Rider, Hardaway, T-mac, and Mourning- that is an unstoppable starting lineup. They got offense, and with Mourning and Majerle, they have defense.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

Miami wouldn't start Rider over Jamal Mashburn.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Aldridge reported a different trade:
    The Raptors and Heat are discussing a deal that would send McGrady, forward-center Antonio Davis and guard Alvin Williams to the Heat for forwards P.J. Brown, Jamaal Mashburn and Clarence Weatherspoon, and guard Rodney Buford.

So, Carter would stay apparently and Mashburn wouldn't be starting for Miami or coming off of the bench.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

12. New Jack

New Jack Member

Now signing Rider would make a lot more sense.

C-A. Mourning
    PF-A.Davis
    SF-T.Mcgrady
    SG-I.Rider
    PG-T.Hardaway

Wow. that's a good starting lineup

------------------

13. BullsFan

BullsFan Member

New Jack

they are not getting antonio davis..and where is mashburn..mashburn would not play on the bench and he shouldnt be..

------------------

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

Mashburn would be traded to Toronto. So he would be starting but he would be starting for Toronto not Miami.

------------------

15. DUDE

DUDE Member

Geez.. You gotta wonder what Grant Hill is thinking now..
    I feel sorry for actually. He played hard in Detroit and they never got him any help. Stackhouse came there and even though he played good apparently he and Hill didnt get along. So Hill visits Orlando with the thinking that they have a GREAT chance at getting Duncan, and if not him than for SURE McGrady. And now it appears as though they get Neither.
    Maybe this Salary Dumping stuff that Orlando and Chicago have been doing wont work out... I mean, if someone doesnt want to play in Sunny Orlando with no State tax then where the hell do they want to play? [​IMG] Imagine a team like Boston clearing cap money and trying what Orlando is doing now. Who wants to live where it snows 9 months of the year?

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"