1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

McDermott hired as men's basketball coach at Iowa State

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by oomp, Mar 21, 2006.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

With all the talk about MVC and the Big XII being the main conference here, I thought some of you might find this interesting.

Des Moines Register

McDermott hired as men's basketball coach at Iowa State
    RANDY PETERSON, RICK BROWN and TOM WITOSKY
    REGISTER STAFF WRITERS

March 21, 2006

Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott has been hired as men's basketball coach at Iowa State, officials close to the search told the Des Moines Register today.

Steve Malchow, Iowa State associate athletic director, confirmed there is a 6 p.m. press conference today at Hilton Coliseum in Ames — but declined to confirm McDermott had accepted the job.

McDermott, who accepted the job late Monday night, is scheduled to meet with Northern Iowa players at noon today.

When asked by the Register if he accepted the Iowa State job, McDermott said: "There's nothing I can say."

Wisconsin-Milwaukee men's basketball coach Rob Jeter told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper this morning that he plans to remain in Milwaukee.

Northern Iowa coach Greg McDermott is the other coach who has interviewed, Iowa State officials said late Monday.

"I wasn't looking for a job, and they came after me hard, and quick and aggressive," Jeter told the Milwaukee newspaper. "It was flattering, but I'm staying here in Milwaukee."

McDermott, 41, has a 90-63 record and three NCAA Tournament appearances in five seasons at Northern Iowa.

The Panthers lost against Georgetown in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday.

Northern Iowa assistant coach Ben Jacobson is considered a likely successor to McDermott. Jacobson is returning to Iowa today from the national junior college basketball tournament in Hutchinson, Kan.

He could not be immediately reached for comment.

Iowa State officials said students and fans are invited to this evening's press conference, with free parking available in all lots surrounding the Iowa State Center. Fans should enter Hilton Coliseum through the south doors.

McDermott, Iowa State president Gregory Geoffroy and Cyclone athletic director Jamie Pollard are scheduled to speak at the event.

Check back at DesMoinesRegister.com for updates throughout the day.