1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mbah a Moute: I don’t trust my shoulder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 15, 2018.

1. basketballholic

Sorry. He did not dominate the defensive paint against either team.

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  2. basketballholic

Can't possibly do that. Everybody thinks Capela is gold and worth a max or near max deal. I can't turn any thread into anything about Capela. You all have your heads in the sand.

3. basketballholic

It collapses with and without him.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You seem to be happier after a Rockets lose than a Rockets win??

topfive likes this.
  5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Then Dafaq you doing on the floor Luc...!!!!!??!?!:eek:

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It really does seem that way, doesn't it

Rocket River

SS0101, Nook and topfive like this.
  7. basketballholic

You're too smart for this. Rewind the game and iso on him on that defensive end and in transition.

Durvasa, I'm not on Capela. The fact is he doesn't have the tools necessary to help us beat this team. We can overpower the Wounded and Jazz with our offense and everybody thinks he is a stud. He had two great defensive games against the Jazz. That's it. And they were injured and had a subpar offense anyway.

Just track Capela in your rewatch.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're completely wasting your time. he just has this general visualization on what happens and applies it. then its #watchthegames when he cant specifically point out anything to support what hes saying

its a rerun and recycled.

joshuaao likes this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

How TF did this turn into a referendum on Capela's paint play?? Capela was the only guy that looked semi-capable of defending 1 through 5 on GS. He was phenomenal in the switches on the perimeter. His problem is he can't be in 2 places at once. I agree with your take on LMAM @basketballholic , but this agenda you've got against Capela is moronic. Stop it.

joshuaao likes this.
  10. basketballholic

It's not against Capela. It's being able to see it wasn't going to work. If you're going to make Capela this switching defender when he's your only big out there then he needs to be able to shoot the three when we play the Warriors. Otherwise it doesn't work.

The reason he is a switching defender instead of a fading rim protector like Gobert is because he's not good when you go into his chest. He has springs. He has nothing else. He's still not setting for a big even though he's put on mass. And he doesn't prices quickly enough to take on multiple offensive player coming at him.

So if you're going to switch with him on the perimeter you have to have a second defender capable of holding the paint. We ain't got that. As we chest saw last night PJ is simply not long enough tidy deal with Durant and Green.

So we don't have anywhere in this roster to turn for that solution since we didn't develop Qi. So it's wait till next year. Only now we're facing matching an offer sheet for Capela starting at $25 million.

Even if it's only $17-18 million it severely hampers our future player acquisition flexibility.

So call me moronic all you want to. I told you we didn't have enough in January. And then I hoped I was wrong and I hoped that Wright would be enough and I hoped that LMM would be enough. And I hoped that somehow the combination of Capela, PJ, and Luc would be enough.

But the facts are......it's not enough.

We have to acknowledge it's not enough and go make it better....not settle for almost good enough. We have to acknowledge what we need here. Which is to say a big man that can occupy Draymond defensively on the perimeter because he's a great shooter (that's not Clint) and can then also give us great rim protection when the Warriors go with the Hamptons and force Draymond to spend more time on his own offensive perimeter, which is the weakest part of his offensive game.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No. It’s one thing if your position was held by other smart basketball analysts who are breaking down this matchup. But every one of them is uniformly positive on the defensive play of Capela. This matches my impression when I watch him play throughout these playoffs.

So, I’m sorry to press you, but the burden really is on you to point out at least one or two specific plays that you think is indicative of his overall poor defensive play. Then we can talk about that. It shouldn’t be hard for you to do that, since you evidently have at least a few plays in mind.

BigMaloe, joshuaao and topfive like this.
  12. basketballholic

I really don't have one or two plays in mind. It's the whole game. He was a non-factor. You are using two plays where he blocked shots to extrapolate that he played well over the course of the other 100 (whatever number) plays. He did not. He was a non-factor.

And that's not there. He didn't stop Durant. During even slow him down. He didn't secure the paint. They shot 21/29 against us inside. He didn't shut down Draymond. Draymond was free to roam around on the defensive interior while Clint stood around in the low block waiting for the alley oop that was not there often enough because the Warriors defenders were dogging Hardens dribble. He didn't create anything. And he wasn't productive in pick-and-roll action. (Because MDA knew it wouldn't work against Draymond.)

Smart basketball analysts hype guys all the time that are just players. So that doesn't faze me.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You are the only person in the country watching basketball who came away with that opinion, then.

So be it...

14. Nook

Nook Member

No, the Rockets would not have gotten the same from a host of guys off the street. It wasn't Capela's best game but he did what he is supposed to do.

15. basketballholic

Nobody else in the country was asked if he dominated the defensive paint in those series.

16. basketballholic

Bogut and others are walking the streets.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Sad. If he can't at least make his layups he's gotta sit.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Right from the KD playbook. It is easy, Javale can do it.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bogut? gracious.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"Bogut and others" are apparently the keys to stopping the most talented team ever, yet 0 of 30 GM's will sign any of these players

Seems odd

MyLateRegistration likes this.