1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe, Just Maybe, Bill O’Brien knows what he is doing.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

BOB is a league average coach and the McNairs are league average ownership. Nothing more, nothing less. Celebrate or defend that if you want to have low standards. Fans aren't "spoiled" by demanding better.

Elsewhere in this city, Luhnow and Morey are running clinics on how to run organizations. We know what that looks like and want that on the football side, particularly when we have the all-important franchise QB in the fold.

2. Nook

Nook Member

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

I predicted threads like these would come out but I thought it would be later in the season. Low expectations entering the season + winning the division. Called it even before the Tunsil trade and even before Luck retired. Everyone is going to think the Texans are geniuses for these accomplishments. Don't be fooled again. This is a very talented team, even with the CB corp as bad as it is. The Chiefs' have superbowl aspirations with a CB corp that is almost as bad. They should win games like yesterday's.

Nook likes this.
  4. mario_v

mario_v Member

Just look at last season. People acted like we were underperforming offensively last year, as if we were loaded with talent.

Other than Watson and Hopkins, what else is there? The offensive line was the absolute worst. Lamar miller is mediocre, foreman was coming off an Achilles injury, two rookie TEs, fuller tore his ACL and keke was always injured.

Yet, they still averaged 25 ppg, only two fewer than so called high scoring offense colts and super bowl champions Patriots.

Last year, the colts and patriots averaged 27 ppg. Colts were considered to be a high scoring offense and patriots went on to the super bowl.

The difference is the colts had arguably the best Oline, only allowing 12 sacks last season, Watson got sacked 62 times.

Yet, they only averaged two fewer points. So yeah, that’s why I think fans are spoiled.

#64 mario_v, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

[QUOTE="Everyone outside of Houston always says O'Brien is a good coach that would be scooped up in a second if he left here. Hos moves do seem to be paying off for us so far. Maybe he's not too bad? Time will tell. 3 out of 4 division titles, noatter what built in excuses you want to throw out there, is pretty good. This league is tough to win in consistently.
    .[/QUOTE]

Who is everyone outside of Houston? I NEVER hear that BOB is a good coach....actually, I hear the same about BOB that I do about Garrett. He's a first round loss coach in a weak division. He is good at making half time adjustments but he doesn't/can't/never will be able to overcome player mistakes with his game planning. Doesn't matter how good Watson is. He's going to make mistakes and by the time BOB "adjusts", it's too late.

100% Promise - if they make it to playoffs, there is NO WAY they make it to the AFC Championship game. WILL NOT HAPPEN. Anything less than a Conference Championship game with this talent and this long at the helm, is mediocre.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I wish I could like this post multiple times... because it's exactly where I am. Too many fans can't handle gray - everything has to be black or white. To argue BO'B is... OK... I mean, OK is.... OK. But they don't like that. HE SUCKS! And if you don't agree, then you're obviously on the other side: HE'S AWESOME! No... he's not. He's .... OK.

They also don't watch or pay attention to other teams. Did anybody see Bruce Arians intentionally take a penalty to move his kicker *back* on a game-winning field goal? Or Freddie Kitchens - the guy coaching the team A LOT OF FANS were upset had passed us by - calling a FREAKING draw play on 4th and 9 with his team down 7?

There's one GREAT coach - Bill Belichick. If he's your standard, you need to find another hobby because he's once in a lifetime great. I think there are very good coaches in the league - many of them much better than BO'B. But they're prone to mistakes and errors and WTF moments, too.

As long as Deshaun Watson is healthy, this team has enormous potential. If you're griping about the coach or the front office or...... you're missing it, man.

Roc Paint and Two Sandwiches like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

And how did that translate into playoffs? We scored 7 measly points under offense guru BoB. Im tired of fans like u that get so happy over the most measly achievements. Afc south divison champ, a winning regular season record. All i see is a sht coach getting his ass blasted once more in playoffs. Dont u wish our team would go further than just particpating in playoffs?

Blurr#7 and Sajan like this.
  8. Hey Now!

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Mark Schlereth was the one who I heard say it. He said there would be 3 or 4 teams lined up for him if he got fired.

He has since changed his tune after the first game of the year against the Saints. Im assuming he finally sat down and watched a game instead of just going with the general public of butt chin climbing incredible feats with backup qbs and making the playoffs.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U see the magic watson creates with BoB? Now imagine what Watson can accomplish with a competent one. Some of us r just tired of great players career being wasted by this incompetent franchise. Andre johnson would have been a god to the whole league not just us if our front office tried to find a franchise qb.

DreamShook likes this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am sure a lot of people here will gladly eat crow if he takes this team to the AFC championship game at least. Until then, let's not overreact to a regular season victory. Geez. It's always two extremes here. FIRE EVERYONE. OR BOB IS SO SMART.

Here's his playoff achievements;
    2014 ....

Lost Wild Card playoffs (Chiefs) 0–30

Won Wild Card playoffs (Raiders) 27–14
    Lost Divisional playoffs (at Patriots) 16–34

2017 ...

Lost Wild Card playoffs (Colts) 7–21

DreamShook and Chilly_Pete like this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ironically (because he didn't want to do it) "Hard Knocks" is still paying dividends in the PR department.

For a long time, 90% of fans who only had casual interest in the Texans knew nothing else of him. I'd guess BOB probably has a pretty darn good rep among casual fans, especially prior to this year.

Pats guys like Breer remember him as the guy who got up in Bradys face. That is much more endearing than the guy who did the same with his GM, fired him, and took over his job. People like the idea of him as throwback old-timey coach guy, especially if they don't have to get too close up.

#72 Ottomaton, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

* Raiders were without their starting qb.

The Patriots game was surprisingly close for a while. Too bad we had Assweiler for a qb

14. Hey Now!

And some of us are tired of you, and others like you, who relentless look for a reason to piss on literally anything.

BenignDMD likes this.
  15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I was gonna post about how yesterday's game was really nice and a great win. And then I see this thread and realized just how easy it is to make Texans fans content. If being 2-1 means you're a great coach then we may as well give BOB a lifetime contract cause he is definitely a coach capable of being 2-1.

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

So everything is perfect in your eyes with this team? There are clearly holes and deficiencies with the Texans and pointing it out is not whining. People can actually enjoy watching/following this team AND at the same point out what's wrong with the team. They're not mutually exclusive.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Bs. I sing praises of the greatness of watson, u just like to btch about people voicing valid concerns about our team. Not everyone can happily pretend our team is destined for greatness and nothing is wrong. We have many holes, the main one being the gm and hc position, plus cornerbacks

Sajan likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

And here we go....

I didn't even offer an opinion about the current state of the team so why would you just assume I think everything is perfect?.......

I don't know the guy, personally - but based on his posting history, I can promise he enjoys b****ing about the team far more than he enjoys *any* of their accomplishments.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Im tired of fans like mr scarface and hey now having a celebration on the small achievements. Most of us desire for greater things than a quick exit out of playoffs

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yet somehow my message to like ratio is alot better than yours. I must b saying something right for people to agree with me.